Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

Isn't Welbeck currently injured?

Due back shortly though.

They may decide to keep their powder dry instead of replacing him and having a push for Europe this season. They're out of the cup and have small cushion in the league with 15 games to go.

With only 2 strikers? They'll have to sure as hell hope neither gets injured. I can't see them sticking with just 2 in their squad; they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

They could easily switch to one up front if either Gyan or Wellbeck got injured imo. They may feel they'll get better value for money in the summer. I'm not saying they will or they should but they might just cross their fingers for a couple of months.

Haven't Sunderland got 4 players on loan (Mensah, Onuoha, Welbeck and someone else)? People talk about them using the money from selling Bent to strengthen their squad. Technically, if they bought the 4 players they've currently got on loan they could only be classed as standing still and it would cost them loads to sign them.

Posted on one of our forums by a chap who is the son of Charles Krulak, Lerner's right hand man:

FYI, WRT some earlier posts, I feel fairly certain that Makoun will not be playing this weekend because of the visa issue. The Bent deal is tied up except for the transfer paperwork that needs to be signed by Sunderland and sent to the FA. It was too late in the evening for that to happen when all the other stuff - the physical, etc. was sorted out. When asked if this was viewed by his son as a good career move, Bent's father responded (paraphrasing a bit), "It is more than a good career move; he is proud to wear the shirt." That is where it all stands at the moment...

So it looks like it has gone through.

I am genuinely amazed they've sold us him.

Haven't Sunderland got 4 players on loan (Mensah, Onuoha, Welbeck and someone else)? People talk about them using the money from selling Bent to strengthen their squad. Technically, if they bought the 4 players they've currently got on loan they could only be classed as standing still and it would cost them a loads to sign them.

Elmomomomomhammmmedy

Isn't Welbeck currently injured?

Due back shortly though.

They may decide to keep their powder dry instead of replacing him and having a push for Europe this season. They're out of the cup and have small cushion in the league with 15 games to go.

With only 2 strikers? They'll have to sure as hell hope neither gets injured. I can't see them sticking with just 2 in their squad; they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

They could easily switch to one up front if either Gyan or Wellbeck got injured imo. They may feel they'll get better value for money in the summer. I'm not saying they will or they should but they might just cross their fingers for a couple of months.

I hope they do stick with 2, as I'd put my house on us finishing above them. I think their better play has come from playing 2 up top. If circumstances do dictate in them going back to 1, it would be a step backwards and I think they'd take a few corresponding steps back down the league if that were to happen. I know it's just hypothesising but still. :thup:

I take your point regarding the January window, like. Some right ripping off takes place.

Haven't Sunderland got 4 players on loan (Mensah, Onuoha, Welbeck and someone else)? People talk about them using the money from selling Bent to strengthen their squad. Technically, if they bought the 4 players they've currently got on loan they could only be classed as standing still and it would cost them a loads to sign them.

Elmomomomomhammmmedy

I thought he was really good when we played them the other day.

Haven't Sunderland got 4 players on loan (Mensah, Onuoha, Welbeck and someone else)? People talk about them using the money from selling Bent to strengthen their squad. Technically, if they bought the 4 players they've currently got on loan they could only be classed as standing still and it would cost them loads to sign them.

Elmohamady.

Hence the problem they have. They're going to have to splash out a significant sum of money just to stay in the same position they are now, squad-wise.

Values? I don't know, at a guess:

Mensah: £4-6m

Onouha: £5-7m

Elmohamady: £2-4m

Welbeck: well.. I'm sure I read SAF was tempted to keep him when he comes back? Also figures of around £8-10m have been banded about, I believe.

So basically if they were to get those 4 players permanently, they'd need a minimum of £20m I reckon, and it could easily pass £25m.

A good career move, from 6th to 17th. Shit fucking mackems. :lol:

6th the last three seasons, though.

I'm not saying we are going to storm the table and plough into the CL places, far from it, but this season was written off the minute MON fucked us over, you have to remember that.

A good career move, from 6th to 17th. s*** f***ing mackems. :lol:

I'm not saying we are going to storm the table and plough into the CL places, far from it, but this season was written off the minute you lot f***ed us over, you have to remember that.

FYP

A good career move, from 6th to 17th. Shit fucking mackems. :lol:

I'm not saying we are going to storm the table and plough into the CL places, far from it, but this season was written off the minute MON fucked us over, you have to remember that.

I wasn't particularly dismissing your lot, more laughing at Sunderland.

Mensah  -  Okay as a loan signing but why would you sign him long term?

Onuoha -  Has looked okay but how much are City going to be wanting for him?

Welbeck - I can't see SAF selling him

Elmohamady - Is he worth signing?

Mensah  -  Okay as a loan signing but why would you sign him long term?

Onuoha -  Has looked okay but how much are City going to be wanting for him?

Welbeck - I can't see SAF selling him

Elmohamady - Is he worth signing?

Put it this way if they used their money from Bent sale to sign that lot permanently it'd be worthy of a laugh.

Guest Howaythetoon

This could be their Andy Cole moment but somehow I feel Bent's sale is more about recouping some of the huge money the board of SAFC have spent in recent years rather than anything else. I doubt Bruce will get the full Bent money to spend, or even half of it. As for Bent, he's quite a poor footballer in terms of all-round play but is a decent goalscorer. For the money though he'd represent a poor buy for Villa in my opinion. I can see him struggling massively.

This could be their Andy Cole moment but somehow I feel Bent's sale is more about recouping some of the huge money the board of SAFC have spent in recent years rather than anything else. I doubt Bruce will get the full Bent money to spend, or even half of it. As for Bent, he's quite a poor footballer in terms of all-round play but is a decent goalscorer. For the money though he'd represent a poor buy for Villa in my opinion. I can see him struggling massively.

He's a very good goalscorer IMO, one of the best in this country. The quoted figure of £18m "in this market" seems fair enough to me given the quantity of goals he's consistently scored in recent seasons. I agree however that his all-round play leaves something to be desired - technically I think he's quite poor.

He's a very good goalscorer IMO, one of the best in this country. The quoted figure of £18m "in this market" seems fair enough to me given the quantity of goals he's consistently scored in recent seasons. I agree however that his all-round play leaves something to be desired - technically I think he's quite poor.

Understatement.

Cannit strike a ball cleanly.

Only me who thinks he'd score a lot of goals in Villa's current team?

Our main problem is - and has been for two years - scoring goals.

I don't care if Bent does absolutely nothing else, if he weighs in with one in every two for us, I will be well pleased. Our match yesterday was a perfect example, chances missed all over the shop. A goalscorer isn't the difference between us getting relegated (which we're clearly not going to, even without Bent, trust me), it is the difference between mooking around like we are in the lower reaches this season and being much further up the table.

Agbonlahor has been out for an op and looks rusty since coming back, Carew clearly hates Houllier and wants out, Heskey has been good this season but is in no way reliable in delivering goals, and Delfouneso is very, very promising, but it's a lot of responsbility to stick on his shoulders.

I genuinely do not care if Bent has the first touch of a rapist, fuck it, we want someone who will get in the right place and put it in the net.