West Ham to get Olympic Stadium

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• 2 weeks later...

From the OPLC web site.

Statement regarding our Stadium process

It has come to our attention that an employee of the Olympic Park Legacy Company has been undertaking paid consultancy work for West Ham United FC. The Company had no knowledge of this work and no permission was given to undertake it. This individual had no involvement whatsoever in our Stadium process.

The individual concerned had declared a personal relationship with an employee of West Ham United FC when she joined the organisation and we therefore put robust measures in place to ensure our Stadium process was not compromised. The Stadium team has been based at our law firm Eversheds’ offices in the City and only the Stadium team had access to information about the bids.

As soon as this new information came to light the Company took immediate action and launched an independent investigation. The employee has been suspended pending the outcome of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/8611476/London-2012-Olympics-Olympic-Stadium-employee-suspended-over-West-Ham-consultancy-role.html

There are other places which are indicating the identities of the OPLC Director and West Ham employee with whom she has a relationship and his position at West Ham.

Needless to say, I'm not even thinking about going there but it does sound very murky.  Shame in a way that this has seen the light of day as personally I'd be happy for the bingo club to keep the OS to be honest.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Why would Spurs need a bigger ground? They have empty seats in the one they've got.

Why would Spurs need a bigger ground? They have empty seats in the one they've got.

Wishful thinking from the 25000+ people on the list to get a season ticket.  The only empty seats each week are the ones not sold in the away support section.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Canny weird that because when I was there I seen, with my own eyes, plenty of empty seats in the home sections.

You're all full of poop.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Statistics vs Eyesight I suppose.

Either way I'm not too fussed, you're an awful, putrid club and your fans are truly terrible.

Is this where you fire numbers at me?

Canny weird that because when I was there I seen, with my own eyes, plenty of empty seats in the home sections.

You're all full of poop.

Capacity:  36310

Average Home Attendance 35910

Do you declare people through turnstiles or tickets sold as we do?

You're all full of poop.

Capacity:  36310

Average Home Attendance 35910

Do you declare people through turnstiles or tickets sold as we do?

People through turnstiles

Sunday Times apparently carrying a story saying West Ham made secret payments to official connected to Olympic Stadium bid.

A shadow was cast over the Olympic Games last night after it emerged that the £500m stadium is at the centre of a corruption scandal.

One of London’s biggest football clubs has been exposed for making secret payments to an executive on the body that awarded the stadium to the club after the Games are completed.

West Ham United made payments totalling £20,000 into the executive’s bank account before and after it was selected as the owner of the stadium in east London.

The money was paid to Dionne Knight, the Porsche-driving director of corporate services at the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC), the quango that awarded the stadium to West Ham.

The arrangement was put in place by Ian Tompkins, a director of West Ham who masterminded its Olympic stadium bid. Knight and Tompkins are in a relationship together.

Both executives were suspended on Friday after The Sunday Times confronted them with evidence of the payments.

They told reporters that Karren Brady, West Ham’s vice-chairwoman and a judge on BBC television’s The Apprentice, had known about the payments. They said it was for “consultancy work”.

However, Knight also admitted that she had not told her employers about the payments. The disclosures could force the government to reopen the bid for the Olympic stadium if West Ham is found to have acted improperly.

The information — detailed in bank and telephone records — was obtained by corporate investigators hired by Tottenham Hotspur, the Premier League club that was the loser in the contest for the stadium.

Tottenham is seeking a judicial review of the decision. The club refused to comment officially but a senior source said: “Clearly if West Ham had someone on the payroll from the OPLC and it can be proved that she had access to confidential information relating to the bids, there is no way it can’t go back and be reopened.”

Knight, 34, who earns £84,000 a year, is one of a small number of directors on the OPLC, a government body set up to manage the handover of the stadium and the surrounding Olympic park.

The investigators were hired by Spurs two days before West Ham was voted the preferred bidder on February 11. Both clubs hoped to make the stadium their home ground. West Ham was the preferred bidder because it pledged to keep a running track inside the stadium.

Investigators obtained bank statements, credit reports, utility bills and telephone records for Knight and Tompkins. Knight was placed under surveillance. They established that four payments had gone into Knight’s bank account between December and April from a West Ham United account at the Bank of Scotland, for £566, £1,302, £3,400 and £4,600. They say there was a further sum of £4,800 in June.

This weekend Knight admitted receiving a total of £20,400 from West Ham and said it was for consultancy work. The arrangement was made two months before West Ham won the bid. She had initially refused to say what the work was. Yesterday her lawyer said it was “a procurement contract in relation to the stadium”.

Knight had informed the OPLC about her relationship with Tompkins but admitted she had not told it about the cash from West Ham. She accepts this was wrong but denies leaking confidential information.

West Ham faces questions about why it commissioned the work before it had even won the bid and why it sanctioned payments. The club, relegated from the Premier League last season, said Brady had been led to believe that the OPLC had approved Knight’s consultancy work. It would give only scant details of the work.

In a statement, the OPLC said Knight had told it about her relationship with West Ham’s bid director and measures were taken to ensure she had no access to sensitive information

Knock the fucking thing down then no one can have. That way it saves all the clubs arguing over it.

Yup - West Ham can't have it because they bought it, Spuds can't have it because they're contemptible cunts and Leyton Orient don't want it...

Guest neesy111

Knock the fucking thing down then no one can have. That way it saves all the clubs arguing over it.

Yeah, that be a great use of £300M of taxpayers money.