West Ham to get Olympic Stadium

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest kingdawson

"Nothing alike" is pretty funny.  Just think you're on a try-hard troll now, sorry.

The only one that looks like he's trolling is you and you alone.

Random question marks are great(?)

The 3 tiers (including the size of each tier), the position of the executive boxes in the centre and the curved tops of the stands are the three obvious similarities...

Will add my original comment in here again before you bring up the kop end or something:

That's just Arsenal's stadium painted blue with a couple of tiers cut out at one end?

• 2 weeks later...
London 2012: Spurs accused of 'spying' by Olympics chief

A man has been arrested over claims that London 2012 executives were put under surveillance by a potential tenant of the Olympic Stadium.

Tottenham Hotspur FC monitored all 14 board members of the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC), according to the OPLC's Chair, Baroness Ford.

The Premier League club said it "totally rejects the accusation in the strongest possible terms".

A 29-year-old man was detained in Sussex in connection with the claims.

Spurs and League One club Leyton Orient launched a legal battle when West Ham were chosen to occupy the stadium after the Games.

The bidding process collapsed and a new round of applications has been invited.

'Frivolous and vindictive'

Baroness Ford told the London Assembly: "My board were put under surveillance by Tottenham Hotspur and the chairman of Tottenham Hotspur felt confident enough to say that in the Sunday Times several months ago, that all 14 members of my board were put under surveillance.

"The Metropolitan Police are now conducting an investigation into that surveillance.

"There has been all kinds of behaviour here that I could not have anticipated which, believe me, has not been pleasant in the last 12 months.

"I'm expecting the unexpected because that's what the last 12 months has told me.

"Our job now is to narrow, as far as we possibly can, the scope now for legitimate legal challenge in this next process. That is all that we can do.

"If people want then to be vexatious, frivolous and vindictive or whatever they want, they will do that."

But Tottenham said it "did not undertake, instruct or engage any party to conduct surveillance on any member of the OPLC committee".

"We consider the making of this baseless accusation to be wholly inappropriate and irresponsible," it added in a statement.

'Beggars belief'

The Chair of London Assembly's Economy, Culture and Sport Committee, Dee Doocey, said the suggestion that board members had been spied on was "reprehensible" and "absolutely disgraceful".

It "almost beggars belief that this thing can happen", she added.

"I personally find it appalling, and I'm sure I speak for the rest of the committee, at the very idea of your board being put under surveillance."

Scotland Yard said officers had searched homes in Sutton, south London, and in Sussex, as part of their investigation.

Business premises in Westminster, central London, and in Sussex were also examined.

West Ham and the OPLC "have made allegations to the Metropolitan Police in respect of the unlawful obtaining of personal information", a spokeswoman added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15640176

London 2012 Olympics: World Athletics Championship bid given boost with news of athletics' 99-year lease in the stadium

Athletics will be given a 99-year lease in the Olympic Stadium with the running track guaranteed for the life of the arena, officials who will decide the location of the 2017 World Athletics Championship have been told.

Bid boost: athletics has been given a 99-year lease of the Olympic Stadium which should enhance chances of hosting the World Championships in 2017 Photo: AP

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter7:30AM GMT 08 Nov 2011 2 Comments

London is bidding against Doha to host the 2017 event, which will be decided on Friday, with uncertainty over the fate of the Olympic Stadium following the collapse of West Ham’s original bid last month a potentially decisive factor.

To counter any negative impact from that decision London’s bid wrote to members of the IAAF Council at the weekend giving them details of the new tender arrangements.

The letter, disclosed details of the new tender process which have not yet been made public, was sent as Olympic Park Legacy Company chairman Baroness Ford and chief executive Andrew Altman prepare to face public questions on Tuesday for the first time since the West Ham deal collapsed.

Politicians from all three main political parties are expected to ask how they intend to deliver a financially viable stadium while retaining the track when they appear before the London Assembly.

In the letter, sent to IAAF President Lamine Diack and the 25 Council members, London’s bid said UK Athletics will be granted a 99-year lease for use of the athletics track. The correspondence, endorsed by the OPLC, also states that the track will be retained for the lifetime of the stadium.

New tender documents for the stadium are not expected to be finalised for at least two weeks and could be delayed until December, but the commitment to retaining the track has been at the heart of government efforts to win the 2017 event.

Ford will be part of the London delegation to the IAAF Congress in Monaco this week, as will Sir Craig Reedie, an International Olympic Committee executive board member and one of the architects of the successful London 2012 bid who has been asked to lend weight to the campaign team.”

The OPLC is seeking tenants who will rent access to the stadium, with West Ham saying they remain committed despite the collapse of their initial bid, funded by a £40m loan Newham Council.

The viability of playing football in the stadium remains open to question however, and politicians on all sides of the assembly said on Monday that they required convincing that taxpayers would not eventually have to foot the bill.

Andrew Boff, a Conservative member of the Assembly, said the collapse of the original deal could cost taxpayers £65 million — the funding offered by Newham and the proceeds of from the eventual sale of Upton Park — and retaining the track was not viable.

“West Ham will be the only major club in the world moving into a stadium with a running track rather than trying to move out of one,” he said.

“I want to be convinced that there is a viable solution for this stadium nothing I have heard suggests it is. We have lost £65 million already, which makes it more likely that it is going to require the public to shovel cash into the stadium for years and years and years."

Liberal Democrat Dee Doocey, chairman of the economy, culture and sport, said: “The question remains how can we have a stadium with a running track that successfully hosts football?

“We have had five years of discussion about this and we still do not have a finalised legacy for the stadium I just cannot see how it is ever going to be a runner.”

Labour representative Murad Qureshi said: “I want to hear what sort of partners the OPLC can bring in alongside football or instead of football to make this work. I would also like to see a groundshare considered.

“But I think the authorities have to acknowledge that this stadium should have followed the Manchester Commonwealth Games model, where the track was removed to make way for a football stadium that was viable.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8875423/London-2012-Olympics-World-Athletics-Championship-bid-given-boost-with-news-of-athletics-99-year-lease-in-the-stadium.html

I really struggle to give a f*** about this anymore. Nearly as boring as the Fabregas to Barca saga.

True.

The latest is Gold has said WHam won't be bidding because of the running track.

With Orient already having said they're not interested if the track remains, seems like its athletics or nothing now.

• 5 weeks later...

Any lingering thoughts of Spurs taking on the OS should be put to bed on 13 December at the AGM.

Sounds as though Levy will formally announce the deal to build the new 60k seater stadium in Tottenham.  Be interesting to see what payments Boris Johnson and the Govt  are putting into the funding.  A lot of meetings last week apparently.

Any lingering thoughts of Spurs taking on the OS should be put to bed on 13 December at the AGM.

Sounds as though Levy will formally announce the deal to build the new 60k seater stadium in Tottenham.  Be interesting to see what payments Boris Johnson and the Govt  are putting into the funding.  A lot of meetings last week apparently.

It'd better be a big fat zero

Eh? The government are gonna part fund the new stadium? Why?

Not the stadium but the regeneraton of the area.    Much of what the Govt are now paying for Spurs were being asked to pay for by S106's in return for planning permission being granted.  All sorts of figures are being bandied about but the general feeling is that Spurs will be paying £40/50m less than they would have done.  How accurate that is I really have no idea.

• 1 year later...

Bumped as there's more info coming out of KUMB.    Should be a unique footballing experience when West Ham do move in ............  :lol:

I was at a company review day plus piss up last week and the park legacy development contracts manager from Balfour Beatty was one of the speakers as we are one of his preffered clients.

He said that it would be improbable if we , West Ham, were tenants in a fully revamped stadium. much before 2017/18, the roof is beong tendered for now as is the retractable seating at a cost in total of £200 milion, he said West ham had to find the majority of this money and also said Newham council will NOT stump up any significant cash and that it would need outside investment.

Talks are at a very early stage and as yet apart from a few rock concerts this summer and the world athletics championships there is nothing else planned.

Stadium is at the moment mothballed all water services drained down and most temporary buildings removed or in the process of beong removed as is the spectator gallery at the pool being teplaced by big glass window.

Another poster said...........

Sitting in the upper tier you will be looking across the running track, whether it has seats or not the track will be there still. Behind each goal upstairs the seats will be empty, unused.

If we use the clubs figures of 54,000 capacity of which 19,000 will be lower tier leaving 35,000 in the upper tier and with the current upper tier capacity being 55,000 and it will stay that way as those seats are needed for when the athletics is in town, that leaves 20,000 seats unable to be used in football mode.

None of that is based of supposition insinuation or fear, all facts from the clubs plans as shown to the SAB........I'm on the SAB I have seen the plans, every thing I say is based on what I saw. If what I say is untrue then I imagine other SAB members on here would be pulling me up.

I don't deal in supposition

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=129296&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=1960#p3630008

Better news is that Haringey Council are buying land for Spurs to use in the development of their own new stadium 

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/10225668._/?ref=ms

Bumped as there's more info coming out of KUMB.    Should be a unique footballing experience when West Ham do move in ............  :lol:

I was at a company review day plus p*ss up last week and the park legacy development contracts manager from Balfour Beatty was one of the speakers as we are one of his preffered clients.

He said that it would be improbable if we , West Ham, were tenants in a fully revamped stadium. much before 2017/18, the roof is beong tendered for now as is the retractable seating at a cost in total of £200 milion, he said West ham had to find the majority of this money and also said Newham council will NOT stump up any significant cash and that it would need outside investment.

Talks are at a very early stage and as yet apart from a few rock concerts this summer and the world athletics championships there is nothing else planned.

Stadium is at the moment mothballed all water services drained down and most temporary buildings removed or in the process of beong removed as is the spectator gallery at the pool being teplaced by big glass window.

Another poster said...........

Sitting in the upper tier you will be looking across the running track, whether it has seats or not the track will be there still. Behind each goal upstairs the seats will be empty, unused.

If we use the clubs figures of 54,000 capacity of which 19,000 will be lower tier leaving 35,000 in the upper tier and with the current upper tier capacity being 55,000 and it will stay that way as those seats are needed for when the athletics is in town, that leaves 20,000 seats unable to be used in football mode.

None of that is based of supposition insinuation or fear, all facts from the clubs plans as shown to the SAB........I'm on the SAB I have seen the plans, every thing I say is based on what I saw. If what I say is untrue then I imagine other SAB members on here would be pulling me up.

I don't deal in supposition

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=129296&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=1960#p3630008

Better news is that Haringey Council are buying land for Spurs to use in the development of their own new stadium

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/10225668._/?ref=ms

How is that good news ? a council getting involved in circumventing planning laws to the benefit of a particular company.

The whole things a complete mess and shows what a white elephant the stadium will become.  300M for 9 days use.  Ridiculous.

is this right, it cost 300m to build which is of course believable, but that there's gonna be another 200m spent converting it to a football stadium now? :lol: