Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Chubby Jason

If it's down to renewing his contract or signing Ireland then it's a no-brainer imo.

Why is it? We have one player at the top of his game and another who has been poor for two years now, and is quickly looking like a one-season wonder. This is not to mention that our squad doesn't need any more upheaval with all the incomings and outgoings.

Ireland's been crap/injured for the last 2 years where as Barton is playing the best football of his career.  And he's 28 man, not 36.  We could get another 4 years of quality out of him.

To swap these 2 now would be criminal.

...for about 6 months of those two years.

Just saying. Before anyone claims I'm making a point about Ireland being better.

Ireland's been crap/injured for the last 2 years where as Barton is playing the best football of his career.  And he's 28 man, not 36.  We could get another 4 years of quality out of him.

Just saying. Before anyone claims I'm making a point about Ireland being better.

Aye, Ireland has a poor 6 months at Villa and an injury hit 6 months at Newcastle and suddenly he's finished at 24, it's absolute madness to write him off.

Still a gamble but not to the extent some are suggesting.

Two leaders on the field replaced by a foreign lad with no experience of the division or grasp of the language and Stephen Ireland would concern me a bit. [/not ability wise]

Aye, Ireland has a poor 6 months at Villa and an injury hit 6 months at Newcastle and suddenly he's finished at 24, it's absolute madness to write him off.

Still a gamble but not to the extent some are suggesting.

I was on about Barton :lol:

Cabaye has replaced Barton though imo so if he leaves and Ireland comes in along with a Matuidi/Sissoko and N'Zogbia/Barnetta then superb.

Has Cabaye ever played wide right?

Would people prefer barton in the centre over ireland? I'm almost certain we won't play with wingers next year.

I don't think either work there.

Personally, I see Ireland playing in the AM role of a midfield 3.

Would people prefer barton in the centre over ireland? I'm almost certain we won't play with wingers next year.

I don't think either work there.

Personally, I see Ireland playing in the AM role of a midfield 3.

Yep, in the midfield three alongside Cabaye and Tiote, or he could even play more advanced if we get another holding-midfielder.

£2m and £40kpw would be a great deal, its whether he is willing to drop his ludicrous wages or not.

That's where we're win-win imo. We'll not sign him on anything we deem too expensive, and if he does come it means he's taken a paycut inline with what the club is prepared to offer.

Completely beyond me why people give a shit about wages. Provided we can afford it overall (and that's more sure than ever before) then as far as I'm concerned it's totally irrelevant if they're doing the business on the pitch.

'£40k per week would be a great deal' - based on what? If he's useless then £1k per week is far too much.

Completely beyond me why people give a shit about wages. Provided we can afford it overall (and that's more sure than ever before) then as far as I'm concerned it's totally irrelevant if they're doing the business on the pitch.

'£40k per week would be a great deal' - based on what? If he's useless then £1k per week is far too much.

Not bring able to shift Smith, even on a free, due to his daft wages totally escaped your thoughts when posting that like?  :lol:

£2m, £40kpw means we are not lumbered with him should he flop, even shit players get £10-15kpw these days in the prem.

Also we have a wage limit, if were paying wasters mad money and can't get rid of them then we cannot bring in players who would help us progress. Wages matter, hugely.