Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm actually quite excited, I mean if he rediscovers his old form (which he might tbh) and we get back Ben Arfa this team could really be pushing hard for a top 6 position.

I mean

Harper

Simpson Willy/Saylor Colo Enrique

Barton Ireland/Nolan Tiote Jonas/BenArfa

Nolan/Ireland/Ben Arfa

Carroll

Can beat anyone on a good day bar maybe the top 5 teams.

Risky, and weird signing imo.

I agree, he's still living off one good season two years ago.  I don't see him as a second striker so I can only guess that he's either back-up for Nolan or a possible future replacement. 

I'm actually quite excited, I mean if he rediscovers his old form (which he might tbh) and we get back Ben Arfa this team could really be pushing hard for a top 6 position.

I mean

Harper

Simpson Willy/Saylor Colo Enrique

Barton Ireland/Nolan Tiote Jonas/BenArfa

Nolan/Ireland/Ben Arfa

Carroll

Can beat anyone on a good day bar maybe the top 5 teams.

Top 5, as in Arsenal who we have already beat, Man city who we have ran close twice, Chelsea who we beat in the cup if you want to count that?

I'm willing to forgive forget his Villa spell, based on the fact that he signed for them when they had no manager and were going through a bit of a dodgy spell. He never really settled there and I don't think Houllier really wanted him either.

Clean slate and risk free. If he's great then fantastic, sign him up. If he can't find his form, then we send him back and move on. I hope we see him at his best :thup:

Guest neesy111

Low risk signing, tbf we are not exactly needing a 1st choice signing in midfield currently so ask backup he'll do for rest of the season.

Guest neesy111

So with this deal sorted didn pardew say that he wanted a replacement for routledge?

Not a direct replacement though.

Guest neesy111

Ireland is an absolute head case, he makes Ben Arfa look sane.  Anybody who lies about the death of a family member has serious mental problems.

Should fit in well then.

Guest NQsDiscoPants

Serious question - where would Ireland fit in for you?

He's not going to get a game ahead of Tiote in the middle, and I can't see Nolan being dropped. Ben Arfa is apparently a month or so away from slotting in on the left for you and Barton has been one of your best players.

Seems a bit of a "for the sake of it" signing to me.

Ireland is an absolute head case, he makes Ben Arfa look sane.  Anybody who lies about the death of a family member has serious mental problems.

May as well forget the past and give him a fresh start

Serious question - where would Ireland fit in for you?

He's not going to get a game ahead of Tiote in the middle, and I can't see Nolan being dropped. Ben Arfa is apparently a month or so away from slotting in on the left for you and Barton has been one of your best players.

Seems a bit of a "for the sake of it" signing to me.

General consensus seems to be that he's best played off the front man. So hopefully there, because as you say it makes little sense for him to replace any of the others. If he's just for squad depth in midfield then I can't see why his attitude will be much different to at Villa.

Genuinely don't get how anyone can object to this.

He was excellent 2 seasons ago.  Prior to that he was pretty good.  He's had a couple of off-seasons (both where, for one reason or another, he's been frozen out).  We have him on loan.  We need bodies in the squad.

Don't get the whole 'ruining team spirit' argument.  If the team spirit is that great, the addition of Ireland is not going to disrupt it.  If it does, the team spirit can't have been all that great to start with...

So what if he doesn't fit into the current rigid system - we need more than 11 players and need to be able to adapt our team to different games and situations.