Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How about for last three games, 4-3-3 with Ireland on right, Ben Arfa on left and Ameobi up front? Or those two just behind him? Might as well go for it last few games...

Would be harsh to drop Jonas tbh, been playing well recently.

How about for last three games, 4-3-3 with Ireland on right, Ben Arfa on left and Ameobi up front? Or those two just behind him? Might as well go for it last few games...

Would be harsh to drop Jonas tbh, been playing well recently.

So play the 4-3-3 with jonas. Hatem wont be making 90mins anyway.

Tbh though, it seems a bit fairytale to think we'd pull off that formation.

I think it would be utterly stupid to sell Nolan, he's clearly a massive asset to have in the dressing room, and judging by his interviews he's well aware of his limitations and accepts that he will drop down the pecking order as the club progresses.

When he's not scoring he holds the team back, I think Ireland can replace him goal wise and is a more mobile player as well as a much better passer and creator. Would have been nice to have him half a season to see how play changed, I think it would have been for the better.

Ireland is better creatively and would get goals but Nolan does more defensively. This is the problem with including players who aren't fit or athletic enough to justify playing as genuine midfielders. They have to be given special roles because they are a liability in midfield.

Ireland is better creatively and would get goals but Nolan does more defensively. This is the problem with including players who aren't fit or athletic enough to justify playing as genuine midfielders. They have to be given special roles because they are a liability in midfield.

Ireland is not prolific goalscorer though & even less so when compared to Nolan, Nolan is not far off scoring more PL goals this season than Ireland has for his career. With our current lack of goals I think we should play Nolan off a striker & hope the likes of Ireland & Barton can create chances for them.

Ireland is not prolific goalscorer though & even less so when compared to Nolan, Nolan is not far off scoring more PL goals this season than Ireland has for his career. With our current lack of goals I think we should play Nolan off a striker & hope the likes of Ireland & Barton can create chances for them.

I think Nolan is better in midfield where he gets more space. Ireland is definitely better off playing off the striker too imo.

I think Nolan is better in midfield where he gets more space. Ireland is definitely better off playing off the striker too imo.

What ever position is best for Kevin Nolan to score goals I am not that fussed really.

What ever position is best for Kevin Nolan to score goals I am not that fussed really.

If Nolan can be part of a team that can go on to challenge the top six sides by playing attractive football then I'm ok with that. Actually strike that - if he can be part of a side which gets into Europe that'll do for me. Forget the good football, even Stoke-esque football will do if it's effective.

B.Arfa     Shola     Ireland

\_                     _/

Jonas     Tiote     Barton

Jose  Colo Willi  Simpson

Yea...I'd like to see this.

I'd like to see that too, and with a mobile quick striker instead of Shola it would have the potential to be rather exciting I think.

If Nolan can be part of a team that can go on to challenge the top six sides by playing attractive football then I'm ok with that. Actually strike that - if he can be part of a side which gets into Europe that'll do for me. Forget the good football, even Stoke-esque football will do if it's effective.

Why has Nolan got to do all that? Surely it is th whole team ffs!!! A few posts ago you were said Ireland "would get goals" apart from 1 season he hasn't really done goalscoring. I am not fussed about big Kev, but with the current crop of strikers e needs to be in the team as he has pedigree of scoring goals.

Why has Nolan got to do all that? Surely it is th whole team ffs!!! A few posts ago you were said Ireland "would get goals" apart from 1 season he hasn't really done goalscoring. I am not fussed about big Kev, but with the current crop of strikers e needs to be in the team as he has pedigree of scoring goals.

Where did I say that Nolan had to do all that? I said "If Nolan can be part of a team" which can challenge. Whether Nolan scores goals or Ireland doesn't isn't really anything I am debating. My view is that they both lack something as either midfielders or forwards so we lose something in those areas when they play.

Where did I say that Nolan had to do all that? I said "If Nolan can be part of a team" which can challenge. Whether Nolan scores goals or Ireland doesn't isn't really anything I am debating. My view is that they both lack something as either midfielders or forwards so we lose something in those areas when they play.

So whats the point of naming Nolan then? You may as well of said "If the current squad can challenge".

Guest Chubby Jason

He can only play behind the forward. The season he was Man City's player of the year he scored a ton of goals and was really good actually. He could play there against Liverpool behind Shola. It's just that's he's been terrible for what seems like years now so I can't see him turning his form around in the last few games of the season. Next season will be the big test for him to see if he's a one season wonder or not.

Guest BooBoo

I think Elano was a crucial factor in how Ireland played mind. They were superb together that season under Sven.

Couple of City fans I work with reckoned Ireland had a great understanding with Robinho and wasnt the same player when the Brazilian wasnt playing.

I'm not sure if it's Elano or Robinho (maybe even both) but the point is valid. Ireland is not so much the skillful type that will dribble past players, his game centers around passing and moving into space (think he has decent pace too). So for him to be an affective player for us, he will need a dynamic midfield. Not sure we have that although there's potential for that in HBA and Jonas and Barton to a lesser extent