Ambition

cp40
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we can't compete on these transfer fees and salaries without finding a zillionaire who thinks spending (or wasting) ++£100mm a year on a vanity football team is a good idea

get real - until the game comes to its senses mid table is as good as it can get with our cash flow

sobering reality....

"I reckon that Spurs will finish 5th, Sunderland Liverpool 6th/7th meaning that you (even with Carroll - assuming he stayed fit) were aiming for 8th at best"  (from a independant fan)

Maybe our `esteemed` management, figured we would miss out on uefa cup. SO took the money and ran....

was this cowardly?  yes.   WOuld have been risky fighting liverpool for 7th, but possibly it was doable.

35 million is a stonking amount of money, judge them in the next transfer window.

I'm still a bit sick byt it, but 35 million quid  :frantic:

Means nothing if we dont buy anyone in the Summer.

we will buy-- championship players

ambition?

sobering reality....

"I reckon that Spurs will finish 5th, Sunderland Liverpool 6th/7th meaning that you (even with Carroll - assuming he stayed fit) were aiming for 8th at best"  (from a independant fan)

Maybe our `esteemed` management, figured we would miss out on uefa cup. SO took the money and ran....

was this cowardly?  yes.  WOuld have been risky fighting liverpool for 7th, but possibly it was doable.

at the start of the season we'd have given out first-born to finish 8th FFS

Guest lebowski

The really sad thing is that Andy never got a full season to try to win at Newcastle.  In his 1 and a half years getting consistent burn on the team, we won the Championship and are in the top half of the most grueling league in the world with a squad that has had it's share of injuries and mostly the same players from the Championship side.  He never got a good strike partner at Newcastle, he never got a full season with the same manager (in the Prem at least). 

HE WAS our nucleus.  HE WAS the ciritical building block for the team to get back to European contention.  HE WAS signed to a deal through 2015.

Now we're a team trying to build a nucleus of players to deliver us success, and that can do so without spending like City, Chelsea, and Liverpool. 

The thing is we just sold the best building block we could ever possibly have imagined.

Spot on. How people can mistake accepting money for a player as ambition is beyond me. It is so self evident that this is a cynical  (and poor) short time financial decision. Ashleys intent was nailed to the door the moment Pardew came on board, Carroll was going and all the statements about not selling and injuries are just transparent bullshit.

The really sad thing is that Andy never got a full season to try to win at Newcastle.  In his 1 and a half years getting consistent burn on the team, we won the Championship and are in the top half of the most grueling league in the world with a squad that has had it's share of injuries and mostly the same players from the Championship side.  He never got a good strike partner at Newcastle, he never got a full season with the same manager (in the Prem at least). 

HE WAS our nucleus.  HE WAS the ciritical building block for the team to get back to European contention.  HE WAS signed to a deal through 2015.

Now we're a team trying to build a nucleus of players to deliver us success, and that can do so without spending like City, Chelsea, and Liverpool. 

The thing is we just sold the best building block we could ever possibly have imagined.

Spot on. How people can mistake accepting money for a player as ambition is beyond me. It is so self evident that this is a cynical  (and poor) short time financial decision. Ashleys intent was nailed to the door the moment Pardew came on board, Carroll was going and all the statements about not selling and injuries are just transparent bullshit.

Carroll was not the centre of the team.

I would say Ashley's only ambition for the next few years is for premier league revenue. And he's taken a huge gamble on that with this sale. He basically thinks we can survive there by using his own cheapskate business practices of driving costs, such as players wages, down and maximising revenue via player sales. One by one our current top players will be sold. And in the end, they will not want to stay anyway. If he had real ambitions for the club he could have made a real statement of intent by holding onto Carroll and buiding around him. Gutting though it is, it's Liverpool who have shown the ambition.

Difficult to say until we see how the money is spent in the summer. We sold Carroll, sure, but we've also brought in the likes of Ben Arfa. Surely that's showing some ambition for a newly promoted club?

Unless Ben Arfa's been bought to keep for a year or two then sell on for top price

aaarrrggghhh I clicked 1. Surely if you say "on a scale of one to 10 how ambitious are the club" 1 would equal least ambition??

Thats my thoughts anyway.

you could always try reading the poll?

Difficult to say until we see how the money is spent in the summer. We sold Carroll, sure, but we've also brought in the likes of Ben Arfa. Surely that's showing some ambition for a newly promoted club?

Unless Ben Arfa's been bought to keep for a year or two then sell on for top price

More than likely will be. I was just trying to be optimistic, not sure why really. Definitely misplaced optimism.

I think that's the key difference. Let's say we spend all the money from the Carroll sale and spend it well - best case scenario, don't laugh. Suddenly we've got a team filled with HBA's and Tiote's all over the pitch and we are competing for a top 6 spot. If we get big offers which will give us a double your money profit is Ashley going to say no? Because a chairman that has ambitions will do that, but if you are just looking to realise profits then we know where this has gone previously with the likes of N'Zogbia, Bassong, and now Carroll.

I'm a bit sick of this I mean, Andy Carroll is the MOST EXPENSIVE english plkayer of all time, we sold him for the same amount as Bent, Van Der Vaart, Titote and Pique put together. You must admit that is a bloody good deal. At least in the window we kept Titote, Barton and Nolan, if we had lost them we would have been screwed. All we need now is two good strikers to fire our way into europe and we can finally get fat Mike to sell our club and fuck off.

Losing Chrissy H was a MILLION times worse than losing that woman beating unloyal piece of shit Carroll was.

I'm a bit sick of this I mean, Andy Carroll is the MOST EXPENSIVE english plkayer of all time, we sold him for the same amount as Bent, Van Der Vaart, Titote and Pique put together. You must admit that is a bloody good deal. At least in the window we kept Titote, Barton and Nolan, if we had lost them we would have been screwed. All we need now is two good strikers to fire our way into europe and we can finally get fat Mike to sell our club and f*** off.

Losing Chrissy H was a MILLION times worse than losing that woman beating unloyal piece of s*** Carroll was.

Entirely dependant on our ability to replace his goals with players who will win us matches in the same manner.

Dont know why people keep trying to point out how good the amount of money we got for him is, you're not going to find a single football fan let alone Newcastle fan who is claiming we didnt get enough for him. No one is unsure of this transfer because of that.

Guest TheSummerOf69

we can't compete on these transfer fees and salaries without finding a zillionaire who thinks spending (or wasting) ++£100mm a year on a vanity football team is a good idea

We can't even do that now - players bought now (like Torres and Carrol) will still have their fees counted when the Financial Fair Play rules come in as the fee gets divided up by the length of the contract and counted for each year.

I'm a bit sick of this I mean, Andy Carroll is the MOST EXPENSIVE english plkayer of all time, we sold him for the same amount as Bent, Van Der Vaart, Titote and Pique put together. You must admit that is a bloody good deal. At least in the window we kept Titote, Barton and Nolan, if we had lost them we would have been screwed. All we need now is two good strikers to fire our way into europe and we can finally get fat Mike to sell our club and f*** off.

Losing Chrissy H was a MILLION times worse than losing that woman beating unloyal piece of s*** Carroll was.

Entirely dependant on our ability to replace his goals with players who will win us matches in the same manner.

Dont know why people keep trying to point out how good the amount of money we got for him is, you're not going to find a single football fan let alone Newcastle fan who is claiming we didnt get enough for him. No one is unsure of this transfer because of that.

Yeah but i'm not even surehow many games Andy Carroll scored in that actually won us the match apart from Arsenal and Aston Villa and Liverpool. I don't recall him ever leading us to make a comeback and besides IIRC he only scoredn usually when NOLAN scored. I do understand what you mean though, and this deal can only be considered good if and ONLY if we use the money to buy some decent strikers

Guest TheSummerOf69

Ben Arfa fits the Ashley model though - players that we can get cheaper than they're worth (because they're nearly - or are - out of contract, or because they're young, or because they've got character flaws) with a view to selling them on for more cash.

We were told we were going to be Arsenal and get the best young players to develop. But then he sold Milner (thereby losing Keegan and starting the relegation rollercoaster) who was still young and developing, because we got offered decent cash. And now Carroll. It's the plan. Our only hope was when Milner then went for a load more money, making Ashley think "I should have stuck not twisted". But that's just meant he got 35m instead of the original asking price of 22m for Carroll.

There's no evidence that Ashley is buying players to sell on at a profit, I wish people would stop posting that. It's totally made up.

Aye, we took the money for Carroll, but the fee was insane and the lad wanted to play hard-ball over a new contract. Hence Ashley cashed in and booted him out.

Obviously we're now running on a strict financial regime, but that's the reality of the club's situation (thanks partly to Shepherd's mad spending and lending).

Whether or not spending within your means is "lack of ambition" I don't know... but I do know we couldn't continue how we were.