Ambition

cp40
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Financial stability is underrated. Look at all the clubs going into administration, and we weren't far off themselves. Yes, I'm disappointed we've lost Andy Carroll but £35million spent in the correct manner could do a world of good to our squad. The ridiculous amount of money in football has to end somewhere, and when it does the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will be up shit creek whereas we'll (hopefully) be paddling along fine.

I'd definately rather we signed young hungry players on low wages looking to make an impression, and lost a few to bigger clubs than signing players at the end of their careers with no resale value on high wages. £35million could potentially get us 7 Tiotes' or Ben Arfas' judging by previous negotiations. Or it could get us 2 Owen's.

It's a shame to lose good players, but is it a lack of ambition? £12m for milner was fantastic business at the time, and £35m for Carroll makes him the most expensive english player ever. £47m could be spent a lot better (whether it will we will wait and see)

Financial stability is underrated. Look at all the clubs going into administration, and we weren't far off themselves. Yes, I'm disappointed we've lost Andy Carroll but £35million spent in the correct manner could do a world of good to our squad. The ridiculous amount of money in football has to end somewhere, and when it does the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will be up shit creek whereas we'll (hopefully) be paddling along fine.

I'd definately rather we signed young hungry players on low wages looking to make an impression, and lost a few to bigger clubs than signing players at the end of their careers with no resale value on high wages. £35million could potentially get us 7 Tiotes' or Ben Arfas' judging by previous negotiations. Or it could get us 2 Owen's.

It's a shame to lose good players, but is it a lack of ambition? £12m for milner was fantastic business at the time, and £35m for Carroll makes him the most expensive english player ever. £47m could be spent a lot better (whether it will we will wait and see)

How was selling Milner fantastic business when we spent none of it and ended up getting relegated?

If we're talking about the financial running of the club alone, there's no argument that Ashley is doing a much better job.

The problem is that we're still in the spending bubble that means success in the Premier League is virtually impossible without taking massive financial risks or an owner investing vast amounts without hope of a return - neither of which Ashley is prepared to do.

Depends on your definition of success but I don't think that's true at all. I think the club would like you to think it though.

Well yeah, by success I was thinking European qualification and then pushing up into the top 4.

If by success you mean getting promoted and potentially finishing in the top half, then pushing on from there... we're already doing that.

If we're talking about the financial running of the club alone, there's no argument that Ashley is doing a much better job.

The problem is that we're still in the spending bubble that means success in the Premier League is virtually impossible without taking massive financial risks or an owner investing vast amounts without hope of a return - neither of which Ashley is prepared to do.

Depends on your definition of success but I don't think that's true at all. I think the club would like you to think it though.

Well yeah, by success I was thinking European qualification and then pushing up into the top 4.

If by success you mean getting promoted and potentially finishing in the top half, then pushing on from there... we're already doing that.

Do you think Spurs are taking massive financial risks? Or even the mackems, who will probably still either bottle it or simply be caught by Liverpool, but are still very much in contention for Europe? Do you think Arsenal are taking massive financial risks?

Arsenal no, they are making regular profits aren't they? They've been consistently successful over a long period and have regular income from the Champions League. They also don't tend to buy £35m players.

Spurs are spending a lot, whether or not they can afford it I have no idea. We'll see if they miss out on the Champs League I suppose. I don't know anything about their accounts.

Maybe I have been brainwashed by Mike Ashley's dastardly PR machine, and Newcastle should still be buying multiple £10m+ players a season.

Arsenal no, they are making regular profits aren't they? They've been consistently successful over a long period and have regular income from the Champions League. They also don't tend to buy £35m players.

No they don't. What they do is they create £35m players from nothing and that is what gets them their success. We did that.

The key is not selling those players at the first fucking opportunity. Seem to remember Fabregas handing in a transfer request, did they sell him? Did they fuck.

I agree with the criticisms of Shepherd btw, as far as I'm concerned he used this club to line his own pockets and left us in a bad way. Still in the context of the OP I think Ashley has gone too far the other way. He can prove us all wrong this summer of course but I'll be convinced when I see it.

No they don't. What they do is they create £35m players from nothing and that is what gets them their success. We did that.

The key is not selling those players to the first fucking opportunity. Seem to remember Fabregas handing in a transfer request, did they sell him? Did they fuck.

no, there is literally NOTHING you can do if a player hands in a transfer request. if you dont sell them instantly they dissolve like the wicked witch of the west.

i almost want NE5 to be let back on for a week so we can see him bask in the glory. its like the mad bloke at the start of a disaster movie that no-one believes, then you just see him grinning at the end drinking a beer as he's engulfed by flames.

Who said we should be 'buying multiple £10m+ players a season', or even implied it?

Nobody did, I admit I slightly exaggerated someone's position in my response. Shit, that never usually happens on here.

In my defence, I was suggesting that some people (nobody specific) were forgetting the players we have been signing, and the money we have been spending. Maybe because they're more restrained than in previous years, or maybe because we're temporarily blinded by the Carroll sale.

I'm not trying to defend the Carroll sale BTW, if it was up to me he would still be playing for us.

Do you think Spurs are taking massive financial risks? Or even the mackems, who will probably still either bottle it or simply be caught by Liverpool, but are still very much in contention for Europe? Do you think Arsenal are taking massive financial risks?

Spurs and Arsenal are both very well run clubs and are not taking massive financial risks. If there is to be any semblance of hope for us under Ashley it is that he is attempting to mould us into something based on how those clubs operate. I understand that plenty will scoff at that suggestion. But imo he is either doing that or getting ready for a sale. I honestly don't know which.

If Barcelona offered to almost treble Fabregas' wages I bet there's little they could do to keep him. Look at Kolo Toure and Adebayor.

its all relative though isnt it. if he was on low ish wages to start with they could just pay him the amount themselves.

If Barcelona offered to almost treble Fabregas' wages I bet there's little they could do to keep him. Look at Kolo Toure and Adebayor.

They turned the bid down so Fabregas wouldn't have a clue.

This is the most gutting thing about the Carroll sale TBH. He should never have been able to even speak to Liverpool, thus never finding out he was going to earn much more and never having a chance to ask to leave.

How would you have gone about running the club? Serious question.

Thats a question to anyone bytheway.

How would you have gone about running the club? Serious question.

Thats a question to anyone bytheway.

Don't sell the best players?

If Fabregas had been told by Barca they'd give him a huge payrise compared to what he's on, went to the Arsenal chairman saying he wanted a new contract on similar to what he's being offered, was told no because it's not in the pay structure to do so, and then asked for a transfer before Barcelona then offered more than his market value, they'd not turn it down.