Ambition

cp40
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would be easy to knee-jerk and hit the "no ambition" button on the back of the Carroll sale, but frankly it depends on what he intends to do with the money.

well base your vote on your belief of what he will do.

It's Mike Ashley we're talking about, I couldn't even hazard a guess at what he intends to do.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I'm not optimistic that this club will ever play in another European game in my life.  Love to be wrong though!

Although if I was owner I would have told Liverpool to fuck off, it's far too much to expect a real-life one to do that. The offer was such that almost no club could turn it down. I blame Carroll more for not saying he wanted to stay.

I think NUFC do have some ambition, they probably do want success. The issue is that they only want it under fairly strict financial conditions.

Sadly the state of the modern Premier League means that success isn't possible wihout dangerously risky levels of spending. And even then it isn't guaranteed, as we know from the Shepherd era.

Ashley has ambitions to make his money back in any way possible. He doesn't care how, or who he pisses off along the way.

His ambitions for the club are directly linked to the above, and nothing more.

Well even so, success on the pitch (or making us successful enough to sell for more than he paid) is the only way for him to get his money back anyway.

I think he's a cunt for some of the decisions he's made, but he hasn't taken a penny out of NUFC so far. In fact, it's cost him a fortune.

Ashley has ambitions to make his money back in any way possible. He doesn't care how, or who he pisses off along the way.

this is how i see it. im a massively optimistic person in my life- but fuck me theres nothing optimistic here.

I believe when he realised he paid too much for the club- the debt etc. he set about trying to recoup that in any way possible, untill he can sell- get out wihout a loss. he just got 35 million pounds closer today.

this is how i see it. im a massively optimistic person in my life- but fuck me theres nothing optimistic here.

I believe when he realised he paid too much for the club- the debt etc. he set about trying to recoup that in any way possible, untill he can sell- get out wihout a loss. he just got 35 million pounds closer today.

One of the few possible good things I can see in this.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

The really sad thing is that Andy never got a full season to try to win at Newcastle.  In his 1 and a half years getting consistent burn on the team, we won the Championship and are in the top half of the most grueling league in the world with a squad that has had it's share of injuries and mostly the same players from the Championship side.  He never got a good strike partner at Newcastle, he never got a full season with the same manager (in the Prem at least). 

HE WAS our nucleus.  HE WAS the ciritical building block for the team to get back to European contention.  HE WAS signed to a deal through 2015.

Now we're a team trying to build a nucleus of players to deliver us success, and that can do so without spending like City, Chelsea, and Liverpool. 

The thing is we just sold the best building block we could ever possibly have imagined.

Liverpool have ambition evidently. Half a season of underachievement has seen them act decisively.

Half a century in our case, and counting.

They've sold their best striker and bought a player who may or may not adapt to English football and a striker who may or may not become this country's best.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

If you close your eyes and think about the kind of player you'd want to build a team around, you'd think of a young, hardworking striker who can get goals.

We just had one.  Now we don't.  That we don't anymore shows the opposite of ambition for football success.

Liverpool have ambition evidently. Half a season of underachievement has seen them act decisively.

Half a century in our case, and counting.

They've sold their best striker and bought a player who may or may not adapt to English football and a striker who may or may not become this country's best.

We've sold our best striker and

For years and years now I have hated this clubs lack of ambition; we just stumble along with little or no idea of where we are going and no one at the club seems to give a fuck. Stevenage in the cup was yet more confirmation, as if I needed any that my view is correct. Will we win a single trophy in the next 30 years? Well my view is that I will be utterly astonished if we do. I could easily see us making it 100 years without a domestic trophy and I don't know whether to laugh or cry about it tbh.  :lol:

am I wrong in thinking we could have woken up tomorrow with a 35 million pound striker in our team- but it wouldnt have cost mike anything.

You're absolutely right, that's the madness of selling a player you've generated through your youth system.

The whole point of doing it is so you don't have to buy players. Selling the good youngsters defeats the point.

Complete lack of ambition.

I do feel this will be a massive turning point in our season.

Yes, £35m is a lot of money, and i dont think Carroll is worth anywhere near that in the football transfer market when you have a look at some transfer fees.

That said, Ashley having the money as the club slide down the table again, with no chance of bringing in players until the summer, makes no sense and just shows what a crap way the club is being run in terms of transfers and actual ambition.

The really sad thing is that Andy never got a full season to try to win at Newcastle.  In his 1 and a half years getting consistent burn on the team, we won the Championship and are in the top half of the most grueling league in the world with a squad that has had it's share of injuries and mostly the same players from the Championship side.  He never got a good strike partner at Newcastle, he never got a full season with the same manager (in the Prem at least). 

HE WAS our nucleus.  HE WAS the ciritical building block for the team to get back to European contention.  HE WAS signed to a deal through 2015.

Now we're a team trying to build a nucleus of players to deliver us success, and that can do so without spending like City, Chelsea, and Liverpool. 

The thing is we just sold the best building block we could ever possibly have imagined.

Totally correct.

am I wrong in thinking we could have woken up tomorrow with a 35 million pound striker in our team- but it wouldnt have cost mike anything.

Another good point.