SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

It always seemed a fairly unlikely signing bearing in mind the number of midfielders we've already signed and HBA's return from injury.

Zog might have wanted to come here if we'd been prepared to stump up the right money, but I don't know much beyond that.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have realised that N'Zogbia wasn't coming here this summer, a few weeks ago, tbh.

Didn't Sky Sports News say that Whelan confirmed on the phone that we had made a bid?

I doubt Whelan would have done so if we hadn't.

He did. Whelan I'm sure was delighted to puff up his chest and say he had turned us down, but then it would also suit us to say, look we offered £12m, we tried our best. But we didn't say that, we denied it iirc.

Pardew did say (thinking back it could have been on the radio) we tried to get players in at the last moment, but part of his answer was that there never was anything beyond an enquiry as to availibility in the case of N'Zogbia.

I'd have though that it'd finally clicked that nothing came from the club that we were ever even that strongly in for the bloke? But no, people are actually still complaining that the club has strung their fantasies of N'Zogbia along. ???

Yeah. It's not like we bid £10m for him in the Jan transfer window to give people the idea we were interested in him like. Beats me where people get these ideas from.

So what's your criticism there, that we bid for him? I thought you were annoyed because we didn't?

I'm annoyed at the bullshit. I could accept we don't want him because we don't want him or we believe we've bought better, but bidding £10-12m on the last day of the transfer window when you know it's too late to sign anyone is bullshit. Just as bidding for Bent and Richardson was bullshit the year before. Now when we could actually sign Zog we are running a mile. That is what is mildly annoying.

I don't really get this. Do you think we should succeed with every bid we make? And if not, why do you assume that every unsuccessful bid is bullshit?

I've answered those in the post you quoted.

Have you? I can't find the answer in a form I can understand. Sorry.

The unsuccessful bid is bullshit because it was made when it was too late to get it done. And no I don't believe we should succeed with every bid but I think we could definitely have succeeded with this one if we really wanted it to happen.

Righto, but that's not an answer to the question I asked.

I agree we could have signed N'Zogbia in as much as it's theoretically possible we could have met Wigan's valuation and his wage demands, but that doesn't mean we were going to or are wrong not to.

Well my point is the outrageous  bid last January which actually prompted this thread suggests that we were either very interested in signing Zog or wanted to make it look like we were. If that has changed this summer I'm surprised the club allowed all the speculation that we still wanted him to drag on until Villa moved decisively.

I don't think it necessarily makes sense that the success of this entire window, the validity of the current regime, nay, THE WORTH OF THE CLUB ITSELF should be decided based on whether or not we sign Charles N'Zogbia.

Guest bimpy474

What if we had not sold Carroll? Would we then have a transfer budget of £0 for this window? And no money to even go for free transfers because it's modern day football and agents and all that s*** cost a lot?

Yeah my thoughts exactly, no Carroll money meant nothing on wages/signing on fees, so no frees either.

You can't really believe it's that simple.

Ian your talking to a bunch of clowns who believe they know the accounts better than what the club does.

Clowns......why thank you Gladys.

I don't think it necessarily makes sense that the success of this entire window, the validity of the current regime, nay, THE WORTH OF THE CLUB ITSELF should be decided based on whether or not we sign Charles N'Zogbia.

:lol:

Are you sure though?

True. If we sign a good striker as we have been told we will, then we can at least feel we've done the crucial business. And we can tell ourselves thatt Abeid Mehdi will be the undiscovered gem that will make Zoggy look like the headless chicken many felt he was in any case. A headless chicken with a cracking shot, tough tackling and fantastic crossing mind.

That's probably why nobody has came anywhere close to this conclusion.

Personally never expected us to sign N'Zogbia but even with a month and a half of the window left I'm becoming slightly worried. Pardew's constant talk of the money already spent is slightly ominous. Hopefully we'll at least manage to bring a quality striker in, but not holding my breath.

True. If we sign a good striker as we have been told we will, then we can at least feel we've done the crucial business. And we can tell ourselves thatt Abeid Mehdi will be the undiscovered gem that will make Zoggy look like the headless chicken many felt he was in any case. A headless chicken with a cracking shot, tough tackling and fantastic crossing mind.

Sometimes you're trying to make this great, witty, sarcastic post. Then you over do it and the whole thing just doesn't make any sense at all.

Disappointed by this latest development like. Time to move on and concentrate on bringing in a new striker and left back.

All in all, guess Ashley wasn't impressed with N'Zogbia's fee/wage demands. (Can't see a problem with the fee personally :s).

We never made an offer so why would we know his wage demands?

No we didn't make an offer (well this summer anyway) but I reckon it was implied that Ashley knew about N'Zogbia's wage demands through some sort of medium or whatever.

Sometimes you're trying to make this great, witty, sarcastic post. Then you over do it and the whole thing just doesn't make any sense at all.

It does to me :lol:

Guest bimpy474

What if we had not sold Carroll? Would we then have a transfer budget of £0 for this window? And no money to even go for free transfers because it's modern day football and agents and all that s*** cost a lot?

Yeah my thoughts exactly, no Carroll money meant nothing on wages/signing on fees, so no frees either.

You can't really believe it's that simple.

Of course i dont mate but its really hard to know what the hell is going on with those in charge at the moment, the money from the Carroll deal aside, it looks like no other money is going to be put up for buys, to progress in the premiership you must improve each year, that means invest too, you dont have to go mad but you need to do something or you stand still or just end up going backwards.

We end our interest due to the signing of Marveaux or due to high fee demanded by Wigan?

I was under the assumption it was Zoggy's £65k a week demands...

Do you not think Marveux will be on big wages though?  If we managed to nab him from the scouse kings of wasting money, then I would guess he's on £50-£60k a week?  Once we signed him I'm sure a few said they guessed it would be the end of our supposed chase for Zog.

the fee for Zog was too high, doesn't make business sense for Ashley.  Sell him for £6m and a donkey, buy him back for £9m-£12m a few years later for an over inflated price, when he's available for free in a year. 

Like he was ever going to do that.  I was still hopeful we would sign him though, fuck knows why mind.

Guest bimpy474

Chronicle are now saying Zog is going to Villa, looking at Villa squad right now, even if you chuck Zog in there, that is a poor team, Bent, Zog and Albrighton aside that is a very poor squad.

They'll still have the best part of £25 million to spend on new players though.

Unlike us, they'll probably end up spending about £20 million this summer - and it won't be embezzled by 'agents and signing on fees'.

Chronicle are now saying Zog is going to Villa, looking at Villa squad right now, even if you chuck Zog in there, that is a poor team, Bent, Zog and Albrighton aside that is a very poor squad.

They'll still have the best part of £25 million to spend on new players though.

Unlike us, they'll probably end up spending about £20 million this summer - and it won't be embezzled by 'agents and signing on fees'.

True ;)

We end our interest due to the signing of Marveaux or due to high fee demanded by Wigan?

Do you not think Marveux will be on big wages though?  If we managed to nab him from the scouse kings of wasting money, then I would guess he's on £50-£60k a week?  Once we signed him I'm sure a few said they guessed it would be the end of our supposed chase for Zog.

the fee for Zog was too high, doesn't make business sense for Ashley.  Sell him for £6m and a donkey, buy him back for £9m-£12m a few years later for an over inflated price, when he's available for free in a year. 

Like he was ever going to do that.  I was still hopeful we would sign him though, fuck knows why mind.

Let's be generous and say the Marveaux deal means we will have more funds to put towards the new striker and whichever other position it is we are looking to fill.

The wage cap stands at £50k a week so he won't be earning a penny more than that.

It has been reported that his contract is highly incentivised, dependent upon appearances and his basic wage is relatively low. The same applies to Ba.

Like he was ever going to do that.  I was still hopeful we would sign him though, f*** knows why mind.

The wage cap stands at £50k a week so he won't be earning a penny more than that.

It has been reported that his contract is highly incentivised, dependent upon appearances and his basic wage is relatively low. The same applies to Ba.

Allegedly, or is this your well known journo that told you again?  They're always spot on aren't they.

Not surprised, people (myself included) should have twigged sooner that Marveaux coming in would have ended any interest in N'Zog. They practically occupy the same role in the team.

I think we were ready to jump and get N'Zogbia back before Marveaux's U-Turn though.

Does make me wonder what kind of offensive player we are looking at in addition to striker though. I had assumed RW, but in light of this maybe we are looking at an central attacking mid.