Newcastle fans and England.

JJ7
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's quite amazing how people dislike England because all England players are massive cunts, but then everyone is devastated when Jesus MkII gets sold for £35m, even though he's proven on multiple occasions that he's also a massive cunt.

Guest Stephen927

Wembley has no life, definitely far better when they played all over the place. You can argue it's better for the team to have a set stadium for home internationals, but I can't see the benefit of it going through in the team so far. Fair enough, I could get the money together to go down to London but half the time it's a straight forward game or a lashing from a better team. You sit in Wembley and it's a spectacle, not something the fans get involved in bar the Rule Brittania chants or before the game with the national anthem.

I enjoy watching England sometimes, and I get behind them. I don't feel the emotions though, I'm only annoyed for about half an hour when they lose.

Not sure I'll be able to watch them with Carroll playing though, will never be happy when he scores again.

Always support them in the major tournaments and get quite excited if they progress deep into the knockout phase and get angry and pissed off when they go out; the loss to Argentina in the 98 WC was a particular low and obviously 1990 but I was only a little kid then but still cried like a baby but between tournaments I couldn't give a fuck; would much rather watch repeats of Gok Wan's show than watch an England friendly.

Guest north shields lad

Quite intresting this. Is there a north/south/midlands divide when it comes to supporting England. Obviously a lot of support comes from the London clubs and southern clubs. Certainly the likes of stoke, Birmingahm etc have a lot of Intrest in England. However, we dont seem to have a massive contingent that watch them anymore, neither really do Boro, and sunderland. I dont think any of the 4 clubs from manchester and merseyside do either.

I think a lot of it is political, certainly before the Thatcherite days of the 80s, newcastle had a much bigger England regular support than we do now.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Ive been to one England game. Against Germany in 2007. Left with 10 mins to go. The fans around me were all cockney wankers, moaning about the overpaid and booing everything they could see. Mainly fans of London/Southern lower league clubs all bitter. One of the other reasons my interest went down.

Now that england will only ever play at wembley and have turned their back on the rest of the country that situation isn't going to get any better.

Newcastle first England second.

Small point. At school last week we were asked do you consider yourself first:

European

British

English

Geordie

I was the only person who said Geordie in my general studies class. I couldn't believe it really.

European

British

English

Geordie

I was the only person who said Geordie in my general studies class. I couldn't believe it really.

It's an interesting question, I consider myself all those things TBH.

Identity is never simple, there's a great book called 'Identity and Violence' that talks about that issue and how seeing people as one thing or the other causes so many problems in the world.

European

British

English

Geordie

It's an interesting question, I consider myself all those things TBH.

Identity is never simple, there's a great book called 'Identity and Violence' that talks about that issue and how seeing people as one thing or the other causes so many problems in the world.

Yeah it was a big discussion. Apparently places in mainland Europe are more inclined to say they're a European first. But obviously with us being an island and they we just are we would probably pick from British downwards.

I am all 4. But, for me being from Newcastle does come first and foremost.

European

British

English

Geordie

Hmm

I'd probably say:

Geordie

European

British

English

I'd say i'm any of the first 3, i never say i'm english. I've only promoted European very recently.

Newcastle first, Anyone But England second. Anyone

If the poll had been Newcastle and your country the I would probably have voted either option two or three, probably leaning toward the latter...

similar for me (except i don't notably give 2 shits about english national team except when world cups etc roll around and the hype begins and i amuse myself with how they'll let everyone down this time) probably option 3 for me and my country

I'm from Newcastle, England. And that is the order of my loyalty, as it always will be.

I remember talking to uni mates about something similar.. basicly they couldn't believe I'd rather newcastle win the champions league than england win the world cup. They were mainly Man U and Arsenal fans

NUFC always over England. Tried to hype myself up for the World Cup and get into the England thing but just couldn't evoke the same strength of emotions as I do watching the Toon. Doesn't help that watching England these days is like watching paint dry and has been for a while and I think of England as very much a Southern team which is only reinforced by the FA playing all games at Wembley and on top of that making many on a Fri night thus ensuring if I did want to go I'd have to take a day off work to attend. This is not to say I don't want England to do well but I would prefer it if it was NUFC doing well.

----

Always write English as nationality on the little visa fill in cards when I'm abroad ahead of British too.