Leon Best

Godot

Jut goes to show that some will twist about anything, when they complain about the likes of Leon Best getting shipped out.

Yet Ameobi and Lovenkrands are seemingly staying...

So was Best until last night. Anything can happen.

Jut goes to show that some will twist about anything, when they complain about the likes of Leon Best getting shipped out.

Yet Ameobi and Lovenkrands are seemingly staying...

I assume that is because the board think someone might be willing to take Best off our hands - who is going to be willing to buy Shola or Lovenkrands?

Guest Roger Kint

The positives from the Nolan sale softened the blow really. But you look how the likes of Guthrie and Smith are still here.

Same goes for Best, if we sell him, and do get a good deal out of it. The likes of Amoebi, Ranger and Lovenkrands are still here.

In an ideal world Nolan and Best would be benched instead of being sold off, and some of the other dross shipped out. I'm seriously hoping we invest well and sign at least 5 new players this summer.

Four of those you say are still here will not be wanted by anyone tbh, plus all four are out of contract in 12 months so the club may not be too worried.

Guest schmuck

he had a purple patch of 9 games, the rest of his NUFC career has been terrible, the rest of his entire career has been average at best.  I'd be delighted to get £4m for him.

Yeah but they're his most recent 9 games, and at the highest level he's ever played at, they're surely the ones that count the most. If people don't rate him then ok, but the idea that he is ahead of Ameobi and Loven (both older, inferior and both surely on more money) in being told to head for the exit, you have to concede, is bizzarre.

he had a purple patch of 9 games, the rest of his NUFC career has been terrible, the rest of his entire career has been average at best.  I'd be delighted to get £4m for him.

Yeah but they're his most recent 9 games, and at the highest level he's ever played at, they're surely the ones that count the most. If people don't rate him then ok, but the idea that he is ahead of Ameobi and Loven (both older, inferior and both surely on more money) in being told to head for the exit, you have to concede, is bizzarre.

I'm with you on trying to get rid of Shola and Lovenkrands, but I still think the idea of not selling a below average player for a decent amount of money just because you can't get anyone to take two s**t ones is flawed logic. 

My take on this is that pardew just doesn't rate him. Remember him making comments about best "banging on my door everyday," if I remember this rightly it was during the time that we were struggling with injuries to strikers as well, meaning he despite are injury woes he still had to be convinced to play him.

He also said he was "surprised" by nolan's performances suggesting he didn't rate him either and was obviously very vocal about ranger. It's all there.

I predict Jonas to be the next "surprising" outgoing.

he had a purple patch of 9 games, the rest of his NUFC career has been terrible, the rest of his entire career has been average at best.  I'd be delighted to get £4m for him.

I'm with you on trying to get rid of Shola and Lovenkrands, but I still think the idea of not selling a below average player for a decent amount of money just because you can't get anyone to take two s**t ones is flawed logic. 

Not as flawed as selling your best striker and leaving you with the worst ones.

If, as expected, Demba Ba signs today surely he will be our best striker?  I don't think many would argue that he is a big step up from Leon Best.

Guest Roger Kint

Shockingly enough you need demand to sell them, there is none.

Some seem to be forgetting that Best is, as things stand, part of our best XI. I don't particularly rate him either nor do I believe that he has proved himself in the top flight yet but who exactly is going to sit on the bench behind all these top class players (that we're getting on the cheap)? Some of our benches last season were fucking dire.

If, as expected, Demba Ba signs today surely he will be our best striker?  I don't think many would argue that he is a big step up from Leon Best.

Yep. A squad of certain quality is not needed.

Guest Roger Kint

Some seem to be forgetting that Best is, as things stand, part of our best XI. I don't particularly rate him either nor do I believe that he has proved himself in the top flight yet but who exactly is going to sit on the bench behind all these top class players (that we're getting on the cheap)? Some of our benches last season were f***ing dire.

While i agree in general tbh, we dont have a game coming up anytime soon so i am prepared to wait and see who we get in before worrying needlessly whether somebody may buy Best off us, at £4m the queue wont be too long.

Has squad depth been banned at the club?! Our squad was paperthin last season, often too our detriment.

Unless his injury has kippered him this doesn't make much sense. Surely he's good enough for backup.

The worst thing about him going is that it would mean Lovenkrands is more likely to be seen again on the pitch.

He's never worth £4m like.

Yep. A squad of certain quality is not needed.

I'm not suggesting we don't need squad depth.  I was adamant that we should have kept hold of Nolan as I feel he is of sufficient quality to be a useful squad member.  I don't feel that Leon Best is of that quality

Perhaps with Deportivo going down he knows he can't get rid of Xisco. We'll never be able to shift Shola or Lovenkrands, so would have

Erdinc, Ba, Best, Xisco, Ameobi & Lovenkrands

Very average. Plus best is going to be sold...

Some seem to be forgetting that Best is, as things stand, part of our best XI. I don't particularly rate him either nor do I believe that he has proved himself in the top flight yet but who exactly is going to sit on the bench behind all these top class players (that we're getting on the cheap)? Some of our benches last season were fucking dire.

Totally, Best is the last of our strikers we should be getting rid of.

Do people reckon we'll be able to fob Xisco off a third time? I know we have money in the coffers of Nolan & Carroll, but we still have some highly paid back-up players in attack (Xisco, Ameobi & Lovenkrands). Best is probably the only one we could get something for so could be why he's going.

:thdn:This seems utterly stupid like, he's worth nowt, and his wages will be low. At the very least he's a more than caoable squad player. Now we have Demba Ba, abd er... er... no one else. Obviosly judge then after the window, but idealy we need another 3 strikers in if he goes, and thats 3 more players who have to settle into the squad.

Do people reckon we'll be able to fob Xisco off a third time? I know we have money in the coffers of Nolan & Carroll, but we still have some highly paid back-up players in attack (Xisco, Ameobi & Lovenkrands). Best is probably the only one we could get something for so could be why he's going.

Exactly - it's not as simple as just saying Shola and Lovenkrands are not good enough, lets palm them off on someone else.  Someone actually has to want to buy them. 

Exactly - it's not as simple as just saying Shola and Lovenkrands are not good enough, lets palm them off on someone else.  Someone actually has to want to buy them. 

True, but that's irrelevant to whether we should be selling Leon Best.

And I know Best had that spell after Xmas but was he ever picked ahead of Ameobi? I still think in Pardew's eyes Shola is above him in the pecking order so

Erdinc, Ba, Ameobi, Best, Lovenkrands, Xisco

We still have to find a club for Ranger too.