Leon Best

Godot

We spunked £6m on Xisco, £9m on Luque, £3m on Andersson if you want to go a bit further back.  I'm not convinced you're going to get someone better than Best for £4m, therefore I don't see the point.  The fact that he's fairly settled and doesn't seem the type to rock the boat counts massively in his favour as well.

I think the way he conducted himself when Pardew came in was great too. If rumours are to be believed he was banging on the door every day asking for his chance and when he got it he managed a hattrick. Fair play to him, we need more characters like that.

We spunked £6m on Xisco, £9m on Luque, £3m on Andersson if you want to go a bit further back.  I'm not convinced you're going to get someone better than Best for £4m, therefore I don't see the point.  The fact that he's fairly settled and doesn't seem the type to rock the boat counts massively in his favour as well.

Nail on the head for me.

I think the way he conducted himself when Pardew came in was great too. If rumours are to be believed he was banging on the door every day asking for his chance and when he got it he managed a hattrick. Fair play to him, we need more characters like that.

Absolutely.

Selling him would be retarded, Best is a perfect example of a good squad player for us. He's someone on the bench who I'd be happy to see come on and to be honest he doesn't strike me as someone who'd be too keen to leave even if 3rd choice striker.

Selling him would be retarded, Best is a perfect example of a good squad player for us. He's someone on the bench who I'd be happy to see come on and to be honest he doesn't strike me as someone who'd be too keen to leave even if 3rd choice striker.

We'd have no doors left if he was 3rd choice.

We'd have no doors left if he was 3rd choice.

:lol:

Tbh Ronaldo, I personally don't think anyone will be looking back in 5 years time and going "you know what, you were right - that Leon Best is a smashing Premier League player".  He's shown very little to suggest he's much to shout about at all imo and he could go one way or the other.

I'd rather keep him as a member of the squad but you seem to be going a bit loopy over him.

By saying he was impressive against Bolton and Everton? Yeah, high praise. Arsenal too, btw.

Arsenal, the game where the team was non-existant for 65 of the 70+- minutes he was on the field? Really?

2 goals and winning a penalty isn't enough, obviously.

He scored once and won a penalty, however, that doesn't mean he was impressive in his overall play. When you say overall play, its not only what he does in the box, which he obviously does very well since he scored 6 in 11. But you cannot say he's been very impressive in his general play.

He did score twice tbh. One of them didn't count because of a ridiculous decision but he should still be given credit if discussing his quality.

We spunked £6m on Xisco, £9m on Luque, £3m on Andersson if you want to go a bit further back.  I'm not convinced you're going to get someone better than Best for £4m, therefore I don't see the point.  The fact that he's fairly settled and doesn't seem the type to rock the boat counts massively in his favour as well.

If we can't find a better player than Leon Best for £4 million then we need to sack our scout/s. He's only had a few good games at this level and wasn't very happy about being on the bench when he returned from injury.

“When the new manager came in. I knocked on his door every day and said ‘give me a chance, please be fair with me. If it’s a matter of you don’t like me, don’t rate me and you will never play me, then obviously I can’t affect that. If you are going to be fair, then I could do my best here’. I quite literally knocked on his door every single day for a couple of weeks.

“He certainly got the message! I have just been taught to attack everything in life. I never sulk and toss it off. I will always try and keep going. When I was knocking on his door, I was saying ‘have you not being seeing what I have been doing in training? He said ‘why should I give you a chance? You have not scored any goals or made any assists even’.

“I told him that I had scored ten before I arrived from Coventry last season. Then when I arrived I had Peter Lovenkrands, Shola Ameobi and Andy banging in the goals. It was hard for me to get in. Then I told him I scored two in three games during pre-season. He didn’t know I had been out that long through injury. I was emotional when Xisco got put on the bench before me. ( :lol: )

“The next game after training I said ‘am I any closer to the team?’ When I got the call against West Ham there was no pressure, it was just relief, and then everything falls in to place.”

He's played well in just about all of his PL games, what more do you want from him?

And you're holding it against him that he badly wanted a chance? Laughable.

More than 10 ok/good premier league matches before he is 25 would be a start?

I obviously didn't say I was holding his desire to play games against him but then you knew that, didn't you? My point is that people are wanting him to stay to be on the bench but he has shown he isn't happy doing that.

He can put the ball in the net, which makes him better than half of the strikers that we've had in the last 10 or so years.

He's a decent PL player. I wouldn't be getting shot right now.

He's played well in just about all of his PL games, what more do you want from him?

I obviously didn't say I was holding his desire to play games against him but then you knew that, didn't you? My point is that people are wanting him to stay to be on the bench but he has shown he isn't happy doing that.

No he has not. Stop making things up.

No he has not. Stop making things up.

Despite both him and the manager saying otherwise?

Not your best work.

He's shown he has a strong desire to play fotball. He 'banged on the door' because he wanted a chance to prove himself, not because he was sick of being on the bench per se.

"strong desire to play football" :lol:

Now he has "proved himself" would he be content to sit on the bench?

Knocking a bloke for displaying a will to play more often is fucking lunacy like. Would rather have a Leon Best type knocking on the managers door every day requesting a start over a Michael Owen type declaring he's happy to just sit on his arse and collect his cheque.

Knocking a bloke for displaying a will to play more often is f***ing lunacy like. Would rather have a Leon Best type knocking on the managers door every day requesting a start over a Michael Owen type declaring he's happy to just sit on his arse and collect his cheque.

If that's aimed at me then I'm quite obviously not doing that.