Leon Best

Godot

Best started 9 games.  He scored six goals.  Three of those goals were in one game.  I hope he's broken out and can really help the club, I really do, but 9 games is an awfully small sample size to get excited about. 

He won me over not so much by the statistics of 6 in 9, but his overall play. I think he looks like a decent centre forward, has good feet, works his bollocks off, gets into good positions and makes a nuiscance of himself. Things that can't be said for any of the rest of our current rabble.

:thup: It's not like he's just managed to get a few lucky goals. His general play has been impressive, too. We complain that Ranger puts himself about well but never gets a goal, when we get a player that can we say that he's still probably not good enough and it was a purple patch. I'd be more than happy to persevere with Best, that's for sure.

Actually disagree on the point that his general play has been impressive. To be honest, he's looked very average in his general play apart from the Birmingham match where he didn't lose a header (didn't see the West Ham match tbh). However, against Sunderland and the other teams he looked average to poor in his general play, £4million is a very good fee, however, I still think we should take the risk and see if he can perform under a longer time.

Not saying he's s***, just think people are overestimating his ability. There must be a reason why the club would want to sell (if they now really do).

You must have missed the Bolton and Everton games too then. Or you're biased against the lad and have been from the start. Shame.

Might be the other way around too though, because from what you say it seems Leon is the next Pele. But honestly, like I said, I believe we should take the risk with him since I think he might start to get involved more if he gets more games under his belt. But to say his general play has been impressive when it hasn't is wrong. He's been very average in his general play (maybe not if you compare him to Loven who is absolute rubbish) but he has scored the goals which a striker should be judged on.

Have my doubts if he can keep on doing it, but hope he will (if he stays). And he was nowhere near impressive against Everton or Bolton.

And he was nowhere near impressive against Everton or Bolton.

Incredible.

Fuckin' hell Ronaldo. You're right, he was the best player on the pitch against Bolton, completely outshone everyone and got us 3 points. Same against Everton where we were the clear winners that day with Best being best on the pitch.

Happy?

Tbh Ronaldo, I personally don't think anyone will be looking back in 5 years time and going "you know what, you were right - that Leon Best is a smashing Premier League player".  He's shown very little to suggest he's much to shout about at all imo and he could go one way or the other.

I'd rather keep him as a member of the squad but you seem to be going a bit loopy over him.

Tbh Ronaldo, I personally don't think anyone will be looking back in 5 years time and going "you know what, you were right - that Leon Best is a smashing Premier League player".  He's shown very little to suggest he's much to shout about at all imo and he could go one way or the other.

I'd rather keep him as a member of the squad but you seem to be going a bit loopy over him.

By saying he was impressive against Bolton and Everton? Yeah, high praise. Arsenal too, btw.

By saying he was impressive against Bolton and Everton? Yeah, high praise. Arsenal too, btw.

How good do you think he is then?

Guest Chubby Jason

It's extremely worrying that we're seemingly so happy to get shot of players in this window. Best, Barton, Enrique and Nolan could all be gone in a matter of weeks. All players that would get into our current first 11, even if they're replaced, such a huge overhaul in one transfer window can't be beneficial to the club.

Easily good enough to start for us within the current sqaud and far better than Loven, Shola and Ranger.

Tbh Ronaldo, I personally don't think anyone will be looking back in 5 years time and going "you know what, you were right - that Leon Best is a smashing Premier League player".  He's shown very little to suggest he's much to shout about at all imo and he could go one way or the other.

Arsenal, the game where the team was non-existant for 65 of the 85+- minutes he was on the field? Really?

Easily good enough to start for us within the current sqaud and far better than Loven, Shola and Ranger.

No one has said he isn't good enough. It's just that you seem to think he's a top top Premiership striker.

Arsenal, the game where the team was non-existant for 65 of the 70+- minutes he was on the field? Really?

2 goals and winning a penalty isn't enough, obviously.

No one has said he isn't good enough. It's just that you seem to think he's a top top Premiership striker.

Never said that. Was merely replying to IP's post.

Fair do's.  I'm perfectly happy if he's 3rd or 4th in the pecking order once the season starts, but he's just as likely to stop scoring and go back down a division as he is to establish himself as a half-decent Premier League player imo.  I've been at a good few games where he's been thoroughly anonymous.

I think the lad has talent - some really nice touches and the fact he is two footed gives him genuine threat - not sure what pardew is up to but as a back up striker/impact sub he is more than decent

pardue isnt up to anything, he is a puppet and does what he is told by ashley

Tbh Ronaldo, I personally don't think anyone will be looking back in 5 years time and going "you know what, you were right - that Leon Best is a smashing Premier League player".  He's shown very little to suggest he's much to shout about at all imo and he could go one way or the other.

Arsenal, the game where the team was non-existant for 65 of the 70+- minutes he was on the field? Really?

He scored once and won a penalty, however, that doesn't mean he was impressive in his overall play. When you say overall play, its not only what he does in the box, which he obviously does very well since he scored 6 in 11. But you cannot say he's been very impressive in his general play.

He scored once and won a penalty, however, that doesn't mean he was impressive in his overall play. When you say overall play, its not only what he does in the box, which he obviously does very well since he scored 6 in 11. But you cannot say he's been very impressive in his general play.

I can and have.

Prefer Best to Lovelpants and Stroller but I am not in the slightest bit bothered if we get rid (PROVIDED WE GET A REPLACEMENT), especially at 4m.

Can see a richer championship club or even a lower premiership side paying 3m for him plus some future payments. Even 3m is a decent price considering we got him for next to nowt.

His overall play is a lot better than expected, still very average but consistent, when he's got a bit of confidence he can tuck them away as well. Certainly our best all round striker and certainly should be last out the door, but if the club get a £4m offer, it would make sense to sell and find a better player.

His overall play is a lot better than expected, still very average but consistent, when he's got a bit of confidence he can tuck them away as well. Certainly our best all round striker and certainly should be last out the door, but if the club get a £4m offer, it would make sense to sell and find a better player.

Thank you, my thought exactly. Very average overall, but tucks them away. £4million is like you say a sensible amount.

We spunked £6m on Xisco, £9m on Luque, £3m on Andersson if you want to go a bit further back.  I'm not convinced you're going to get someone better than Best for £4m, therefore I don't see the point.  The fact that he's fairly settled and doesn't seem the type to rock the boat counts massively in his favour as well.