Connor wickham

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think it'd only be £10m after clauses, which we'd be happy to pay because it means he's doing well for us.

Ipswich want £10m up front + add ons, which is probably why he hasn't been signed by anyone yet.  A couple of months ago Ipswich played a behind closed doors friendly at Spurs (who don't run a reserve team) and with Ipswich's permission Wickham was shown around Spurs Lodge.  Ipswich were saying then it was £10m upfront and I doubt their stance has changed.  He has already been shown around Arsenal and for the record, Spurs won 5-2, Wickham played for about an hour, was pretty good by all accounts and scored 1 of Ipswich's goals. 

When we're in a better position than now, then we could use £10 mill on a talent. But right now, we need to use money on players, that are young, but who have progressed more than Wickham. Players that go right into the team, and who enabl us to push for Europe. That will also increase your chances of keeping other key players.

Guest Stephen927

I'm not so sure signing this lad for £10m would inspire a lot of confidence in the players. It would take a while for him to have any impact at the top level, and a lot of them are entering their peak or right in the middle of it.

I'm not so sure signing this lad for £10m would inspire a lot of confidence in the players. It would take a while for him to have any impact at the top level, and a lot of them are entering their peak or right in the middle of it.

Exactly. That's why we need to buy players that will improve our XI with immediate effect, and not buying a player that will enhance our depth, but who realistically will not be good enough for the XI for a season or two. Wickham is not helping us keeping Enrique.

When we're in a better position than now, then we could use £10 mill on a talent. But right now, we need to use money on players, that are young, but who have progressed more than Wickham. Players that go right into the team, and who enabl us to push for Europe. That will also increase your chances of keeping other key players.

You had the player who was capable of pushing you into Europe but he got sold to Liverpool.

Admittedly, Newcastle got a ridiculously high price for Carroll but the downside is you're going to be quoted ridiculously high figures for lesser players (at the present time) to replace him.

You had the player who was capable of pushing you into Europe but he got sold to Liverpool.

Admittedly, Newcastle got a ridiculously high price for Carroll but the downside is you're going to be quoted ridiculously high figures for lesser players (at the present time) to replace him.

Not necessary. First, if we go after players in the medium leagues such as Holland, we have an advantage because we're an english team, offering them the chance to perform in a big league.  Thus, us placing a bid can be enough to unsettle the player. Second, the summer window is less frenetic, so we're able to play the wait and see game.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=17929

Wickham New Contract Has Offer Clause

Thu 17th Feb 2011 13:39

Town striker Connor Wickham’s new contract at Portman Road is reported to include a clause which would see him leave Portman Road if the Blues receive a bid of a specified size. Tottenham are said to have first refusal on the 17-year-old with Town owner and chairman Marcus Evans reported to have held talks with his Spurs counterparts regarding a potential future move.

Wickham, who is 18 at the end of March, signed a new deal last month which extended his Town contract until the summer of 2013. However, it is believed the new terms include a provision that if the Blues receive an offer at a set level – probably somewhere between £10 million and £15 million – the England U21 international can move on.

The Blues frontman watched Arsenal’s 2-1 victory over Barcelona last night and the Gunners have also been chasing the Hereford-born player, along with Liverpool, Newcastle and a host of other Premier League clubs.

But Tottenham have long been believed to be the frontrunners for Wickham's signature with former Town coach Bryan Klug and Jim Magilton's one-time management consultant Charlie Woods both now working at White Hart Lane.

Speaking this morning, Town boss Paul Jewell reiterated that he would like to keep hold of Tuesday’s hat-trick scorer for as long as possible: “I get asked about Connor Wickham almost every day. Connor’s got huge potential and he’s got all the tools of the trade to be a top player, and hopefully that will be at Ipswich.”

I believe Charlie Woods was Sir Bobby.... scout when he was here I didn't know he is scouting for Spurs now..... We got Bramble and Ambrose with his Ipswich connection.... I am sure Wickham is Spurs bound by the look of things...

Depends what Connor wants. First team football, or reserve football and being loaned out to Crystal Palace.

I believe Charlie Woods was Sir Bobby.... scout when he was here I didn't know he is scouting for Spurs now..... We got Bramble and Ambrose with his Ipswich connection.... I am sure Wickham is Spurs bound by the look of things...

:crazy2:

The Ipswich connection was surely to do with Bobby not Charlie Woods.

Probably both seeing as Woods played for Ipswich and worked for them as both a coach and a scout.

Probably both seeing as Woods played for Ipswich and worked for them as both a coach and a scout.

Yeah but still, he's only a scout and doesn't exactly have the legacy Bobby does at the club so I doubt his connection is worth much.

Spuds £15m apparently.  :lol:

That's the figure that went into his contract apparently.  Being said that Spurs were trying to negotiate a reduced figure in return for loaning him back for a season in the same way we that we did with Huddlestone and Derby and Walker and Sheff Utd.  Wickham now needs matches to continue his development and I'd think it is better for him to get regular games with Ipswich rather than occasional playing time with whatever club eventually signs him.

Guest Wearside

Never a £15m player and yet another example of just how over-rated a player becomes just because he is English.He may well go onto become a decent player but £15m already?come on man.