Blackburn 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/02/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Not seen anything yet, just followed on here and on the radio. I'd have taken a point before the game given our previous away performance but we really need to start turning dominance of games into wins because eventually they'll start to turn into defeats and we're only five points off the drop (ok, six with goal difference). Desperate for Ben Arfa to come in, either to give us the quality to create chances that even our strikers can't miss or to just give us that moment of magic like against Everton.

Disgusting not to sign a proper striker in January, regardless of where Carroll was and whether he was injured or not. Really disrespectful to both the supporters and the players, who must be pig sick of playing so well and getting nothing more than a point out of it.

We needed one badly, but really, who was out there to buy without paying daft prices? Keane would have done a job, but dont WH have to buy him if they stay up? Cant really think of anyone we could have brough in tbh.

Hope Ireland can still shoot as our forward line is a fucking embarrassment.  And please Ben Arfa come back soon.

Why Pardew didn't just play Nolan off Best and had Guthrie in midfield to start. Then Swap Best with Ranger later on is beyond me.

Probably because Nolan is a better centre midfielder than Guthrie and cause Nolan isn't very effective behind a lone striker.

He isn't very effective in central midfield either. From open play anyway.

He got 1 point less than Barton and Nolan. I may have been a bit generous with Nolan, he wasn't involved in much today, but he helped Tiote control the midfield.

Nolan had a shocker today, he did nothing that I can remember.

Did well I thought, a lot of interceptions and tackles winning us back possession although he didn't seem to get forward as much - whether he was instructed to sit deeper or not I don't know.

Lovenkrands was unlucky not to score. I thought he played OK. The fact is Blackburn went out to keep a clean sheet. None of our players had enough quality in the final third. You can blame the strikers if you want but nobody else managed to have a decent shot (apart from Colo's shot from the corner). We had a lot of crosses and corners which came to very little. Blackburn are a team of tall players so beating them in the air isn't easy.

A loan for Sturridge would have been the most sensible move. Having said that, I can't really blame Pardew for any transfer business as I honestly think his hands are pretty much shackled by his overlords. I wouldnt be surprised if transfers incoming and outcoming are little to do with him.

We did okay today, yes we could have won but Ranger remains a "nuisance value" striker at this stage of his career. He's more useful at bringing others into play as his finishing is fairly awful. We all know meanwhile that Kuqi is clearly not good enough. Today we were playing well and Pardew stuck for the majority of the game with his "best of a poor bunch strikers.

Guest Stephen927

Blackburn were diabolical, we would have put them to the sword today but we lacked the cutting edge. It's going to be that way for the rest of the season now.

Not seen anything yet, just followed on here and on the radio. I'd have taken a point before the game given our previous away performance but we really need to start turning dominance of games into wins because eventually they'll start to turn into defeats and we're only five points off the drop (ok, six with goal difference). Desperate for Ben Arfa to come in, either to give us the quality to create chances that even our strikers can't miss or to just give us that moment of magic like against Everton.

Disgusting not to sign a proper striker in January, regardless of where Carroll was and whether he was injured or not. Really disrespectful to both the supporters and the players, who must be pig sick of playing so well and getting nothing more than a point out of it.

We needed one badly, but really, who was out there to buy without paying daft prices? Keane would have done a job, but dont WH have to buy him if they stay up? Cant really think of anyone we could have brough in tbh.

There's not a striker in world football who wouldn't be more effective than Best or Lovenkrands?

Jesus.

A loan for Sturridge would have been the most sensible move. Having said that, I can't really blame Pardew for any transfer business as I honestly think his hands are pretty much shackled by his overlords. I wouldnt be surprised if transfers incoming and outcoming are little to do with him.

We did okay today, yes we could have won but Ranger remains a "nuisance value" striker at this stage of his career. He's more useful at bringing others into play as his finishing is fairly awful. We all know meanwhile that Kuqi is clearly not good enough. Today we were playing well and Pardew stuck for the majority of the game with his "best of a poor bunch strikers.

Ranger finishing isn't awful, he's missed 1 sitter and the rest have been saved, blocked or just missed from difficult positions.

I havent seen anything in the Championship or Premier League that suggests Rangers finishing is anything other than poor. However, I hope that he will make progress a la Carroll and develop that side of his game.

Did well I thought, a lot of interceptions and tackles winning us back possession although he didn't seem to get forward as much - whether he was instructed to sit deeper or not I don't know.

Have a look at this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

He probably touched the ball less times than Harper who had very little to do.

He may of done but I stand by what I said, aside from the interceptions but it's only got us down as making 4 as a team and I don't think thats right.

Well we stopped the rot against Blackburn, thats a start. I'd have took a point at 3pm, but it sounds like they were there for the taking. The draws are starting to stack up and we need a win soon, but having said that I think we'll be completely fine. Still nervously look at the table though - its a habit!

I havent seen anything in the Championship or Premier League that suggests Rangers finishing is anything other than poor. However, I hope that he will make progress a la Carroll and develop that side of his game.

He gets shots off from stupid positions, he's only had one clear chance on goal that I can remember this season.  Unlike the others who are getting games ahead of him.  I doubt that he would have fluffed the chance that Best had right in the middle of the 5 yard box which ended up closer to the corner flag than the Blackburn goal.

We played well today though Blackburn were s****. We're a pair of quality strikers away of being top 10ish and equally if we lose a couple of key players in the summer we wil be fighting for our lives.

Ashley has to come good with the money - oh s***

We played well today though Blackburn were s****. We're a pair of quality strikers away of being top 10ish and equally if we lose a couple of key players in the summer we wil be fighting for our lives.

Ashley has to come good with the money - oh s***

yep. would be a European team if we had the quality in the attack as we have in the midfield and defense. it´s a shame because that can cost us come the summer. Hopefully Pardew can convince the player we will come up strong in the marked, but would doubt that :weep:

Lovenkrands was unlucky not to score. I thought he played OK. The fact is Blackburn went out to keep a clean sheet. None of our players had enough quality in the final third. You can blame the strikers if you want but nobody else managed to have a decent shot (apart from Colo's shot from the corner). We had a lot of crosses and corners which came to very little. Blackburn are a team of tall players so beating them in the air isn't easy.

Their manager actually came out and said in his post match interview that they were playing for a clean sheet. Shite but at least he's honest about it unlike TCA.

He gets shots off from stupid positions, he's only had one clear chance on goal that I can remember this season.  Unlike the others who are getting games ahead of him.  I doubt that he would have fluffed the chance that Best had right in the middle of the 5 yard box which ended up closer to the corner flag than the Blackburn goal.

He missed an open goal from 3 yards out against West Ham mind.

Guest TrueToon

Everyone seems happy with a point,I'm pissed off,We should have won,Comfortably.

I'm reasonably happy with a point as i kept thinking we were gonna get sucker punched after being so on top.

I thought that too,The thought of it pissed me off even more  tbh..

I'm fairly sure under Hughton we'd have lost that 1-0. We seem to have the ability under Pardew now to keep hold of the game, instead of dominating it for a period and then losing the 'grip' after the dominance.

I'm fairly sure under Hughton we'd have lost that 1-0. We seem to have the ability under Pardew now to keep hold of the game, instead of dominating it for a period and then losing the 'grip' after the dominance.

Mackems, Spurs?