Your all time XI

QBG

Surprised I'm the only one thats gone for Costacurta like although my choice is based on partnership. Him and Baresi man, you just don't get better defensive partnerships than that.

Batigol on the bench, he was just a devastating all round goals machine. More in the v. Nistelrooy mould I'd say.

Surprised I'm the only one thats gone for Costacurta like although my choice is based on partnership. Him and Baresi man, you just don't get better defensive partnerships than that.

Batigol on the bench, he was just a devastating all round goals machine. More in the v. Nistelrooy mould I'd say.

Andy O'Brien - Titus Bramble was mint.

How nobody else has chosen Batistuta is beyond me.

How is that beyond you?

Batistuta isn't even top 100 for me.

That'd be due to your strong Brazilian bias. He was an absolute goalscoring machine. If Shearer didn't play for us and wasn't a geordie, people wouldn't be choosing him ahead of Batistuta.

My comment was aimed more at the people who have chosen teams based upon players that they've seen, as well.

And what does that have to do with me being Brazilian.

Two of my favourite players nowadays are Argentinian, so you're wrong in that sense. I just don't rate Batistuta higher than Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cruyff, van Basten, Ronaldo, Eto'o (who is hugely underrated) and so on.

Only another 94 to go.

I meant footballers not strikers there.

But just couple other better footballer Pele, Maradona, Zico, Jairzinho, Socrates, Careca, Di Stefano, Puskas, Liedholm, Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who I hate), Garrincha, Gerd Muller, Messi, CRonaldo, Romario, Eusebio, Hugo Sanchez.

These are couple of forwards/trikers I rank higher than Batistuta. And honestly, in my opinion he's not a striker deserved to be mentioned in the top 5 of all times.

However, yes if you look on a pure striker and goal instincts than in my opinion he's top 25 of all time.

Zlatan, man. Really?

My comment was aimed more at the people who have chosen teams based upon players that they've seen, as well.

Should've probably mentioned that in my first comment. That rules out the majority that you just mentioned

Schmeichel

Zanetti         Baresi     Nesta      Maldini

Redondo

Laudrup                Zidane

Messi               Ronaldo

Romario

I think. :lol:

I'm finding it impossible to pick an XI, but there's an awful lot to like about that one (although it's hard to comment on billtray's first selection)

I hate to come all (poster) Ronaldo, but anyone who puts Roberto Carlos in needs to be committed to a high dependency psychiatric ward. THE ONLY left back worthy of consideration in the past twenty years is Maldini. Ashley fucking Cole, too. Jesus Christ...

Zlatan, man. Really?

Should've probably mentioned that in my first comment. That rules out the majority that you just mentioned

Alright, didn't read that. Sorry go on then :pow:

Schmeichel

Zanetti        Baresi    Nesta      Maldini

Redondo

Laudrup                Zidane

Messi              Ronaldo

Romario

I think. :lol:

I'm finding it impossible to pick an XI, but there's an awful lot to like about that one (although it's hard to comment on billtray's first selection)

I hate to come all (poster) Ronaldo, but anyone who puts Roberto Carlos in needs to be committed to a high dependency psychiatric ward. THE ONLY left back worthy of consideration in the past twenty years is Maldini. Ashley f***ing Cole, too. Jesus Christ...

Roberto Carlos in his prime was one of the best left-backs ever. If you want an attacking team you play RCarlos, you want a defensive team you put Maldini. It's not harder than that. I put Nilton Santos because he was immense as a left-back and offensive as hell, but had I wanted a more balanced left-back than Maldini is no doubt that player.

Roberto Carlos in his prime was one of the best left-backs ever. If you want an attacking team you play RCarlos, you want a defensive team you put Maldini. It's not harder than that. I put Nilton Santos because he was immense as a left-back and offensive as hell, but had I wanted a more balanced left-back than Maldini is no doubt that player.

If you think he was "one of the best LB's ever", that's one thing, and while I think very differently I'm not going to argue that point.

But THE best (in the past twenty years) was Maldini. I don't even see how it can be debated otherwise - for me LB is the easiest position to pick because there's only one genuine candidate

RVN >>> Batistuta. If RVN isn't picked why should Batistuta.

I also object against picking roberto Carlos and cafu ahead of maldini n zanetti. People understandably tend to pick very offensive teams, with supremely talented attackers who don't do much pressing. We need defensive fullbacks. Plus, all those attackers would be vying for space and advance forwards frequently, last thing they need are fullbacks competing flanks with them

Yashin/Banks

Cafu    Beckenbauer  Maldini    Nilton Santos

Garrrincha  Zidane  Zico      Maradona

Ronaldo        Romario

Would score a goal every minute. Also concede alot.

Not with two goalkeepers they wouldn't.

I also object against picking roberto Carlos and cafu ahead of maldini n zanetti. People understandably tend to pick very offensive teams, with supremely talented attackers who don't do much pressing. We need defensive fullbacks. Plus, all those attackers would be vying for space and advance forwards frequently, last thing they need are fullbacks competing flanks with them

Don't be silly.

If the team is

Schmeichel

Cafú - Baresi - Maldini - R. Carlos

Xavi - Redondo - Maradona 

Messi - Ronaldo - Van Basten

Trust me you wont be worrying much about the 5 mins in the game your team has not got the ball. 

Probably been done before but the Ronaldo thread had me thinking about my all time XI. I'd go with:

Banks

Cafu   Moore  Maldini   R.Carlos

Beckham Zidane Xavi  C.Ronaldo

Shearer Ronaldo

That's just my opinion, I swapped out Giggs for C.Ronaldo, but I think it works either way. An outstanding Goalkeeper, two full backs that like to attack, two rocks in the centre of defence. Beckham, the best crosser of the ball ever imo, on the right, Zidane given free reign with Xavi sitting and orchestrating things and C.Ronaldo another with sort of a free reign. Shearer and Ronaldo up top just guarantees goals. Difficult to leave Messi out and have C.Ronaldo in, that is a contentious point certainly. A very attack minded team but one that would be able to keep possession well and score bags of goals from the strikers and from midfield. Also the options at set pieces would be ridiculous.

no Pele FFS but Beckham????  Must be a ManU supporter  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Guest Printzlau

I can’t believe so few have included Michael Laudrup in their teams. He was an artist. Players like Romario, Raúl, Platini, Koeman, Guardiola and Figo have called him the best player they’ve ever played with or against. Beckenbauer named him the best player of the 90’s.

In 1999 he was named as the best foreign player in Spain in 25 years. He won the Spanish title five times and the Italian once.

Please go to the tube (not the red one) and relive his control, creativity, vision and through balls.

Roberto Galia: "I have played against Maradona, Platini and Baggio. But the player I saw do the most indescribable things was Michael Laudrup."

I can’t believe so few have included Michael Laudrup in their teams. He was an artist. Players like Romario, Raúl, Platini, Koeman, Guardiola and Figo have called him the best player they’ve ever played with or against. Beckenbauer named him the best player of the 90’s.

In 1999 he was named as the best foreign player in Spain in 25 years. He won the Spanish title five times and the Italian once.

Please go to the tube (not the red one) and relive his control, creativity, vision and through balls.

Roberto Galia: "I have played against Maradona, Platini and Baggio. But the player I saw do the most indescribable things was Michael Laudrup."

And Laudrup called Romario the best player he has played with. Where does that leave us?

Michael Laudrup was a brilliant player, and definitely worth a mention. However in the 90s Zidane was still a level above him as a footballer, and Platini was also a better player to be frank.

But he would never make my all time eleven.

Probably been done before but the Ronaldo thread had me thinking about my all time XI. I'd go with:

Banks

Cafu  Moore  Maldini  R.Carlos

Beckham Zidane Xavi  C.Ronaldo

Shearer Ronaldo

That's just my opinion, I swapped out Giggs for C.Ronaldo, but I think it works either way. An outstanding Goalkeeper, two full backs that like to attack, two rocks in the centre of defence. Beckham, the best crosser of the ball ever imo, on the right, Zidane given free reign with Xavi sitting and orchestrating things and C.Ronaldo another with sort of a free reign. Shearer and Ronaldo up top just guarantees goals. Difficult to leave Messi out and have C.Ronaldo in, that is a contentious point certainly. A very attack minded team but one that would be able to keep possession well and score bags of goals from the strikers and from midfield. Also the options at set pieces would be ridiculous.

no Pele FFS but Beckham????  Must be a ManU supporter  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Maybe thats based on players he ha seen. Still weird one to put Beckham there and not a player like Messi or Rivaldo who had much better left foot than Beckhams has right foot.

If the team is

Schmeichel

Cafú - Baresi - Maldini - R. Carlos

Xavi - Redondo - Maradona 

Messi - Ronaldo - Van Basten

Trust me you wont be worrying much about the 5 mins in the game your team has not got the ball. 

Redondo was an exceptional midfielder, good shout.

Cafu is one if not the best rightback of all times. Carlos on the other hand sure, I can see Zanetti and Maldini there instead, but attackers are entertaining. :thup:

This is really a "Best team from players who you've seen" thread isn't it??

No Yashin, few mentions of Banks, Pele, Der Bomber, Greaves, Der Kaiser, the Dutch from the 70's.................................................