Your all time XI

QBG

This is really a "Best team from players who you've seen" thread isn't it??

No Yashin, few mentions of Banks, Pele, Der Bomber, Greaves, Der Kaiser, the Dutch from the 70's.................................................

Thought it was unclear so made two teams :pow:

Schmeichel

Cafu          Nesta          Cannavaro    Zanetti

Redondo        Vieria

Messi                                              C Ronaldo

Ronaldo        Shearer

Guest Printzlau

I can’t believe so few have included Michael Laudrup in their teams. He was an artist. Players like Romario, Raúl, Platini, Koeman, Guardiola and Figo have called him the best player they’ve ever played with or against. Beckenbauer named him the best player of the 90’s.

In 1999 he was named as the best foreign player in Spain in 25 years. He won the Spanish title five times and the Italian once.

Please go to the tube (not the red one) and relive his control, creativity, vision and through balls.

Roberto Galia: "I have played against Maradona, Platini and Baggio. But the player I saw do the most indescribable things was Michael Laudrup."

And Laudrup called Romario the best player he has played with. Where does that leave us?

Michael Laudrup was a brilliant player, and definitely worth a mention. However in the 90s Zidane was still a level above him as a footballer, and Platini was also a better player to be frank.

But he would never make my all time eleven.

I agree that you can't base your opinions exclusively on other players opinion. There will always be some players who think another player is better than what the majority thinks.

But in this case it's some of the best players to ever play the game that acknowledge Laudrup as a better player than themselves. It's players who at one point have played at the best club in the world at that given time.

I've never seen as good a passer of the ball as Laudrup. Zidane could do some of the same thing as Laudrup could but wasn't nearly as good at assisting goals. Don't get me wrong Zidane was a fantastic player but in the nineties he was no way near the level of Laudrup. If we talk about how good they where in their entire career then maybe.

By the way I don't recall Laudrup ever calling Romario for the best player he played with. I remember him calling him his favorite striking partner as they complemented each other so well. Big difference.

Probably been done before but the Ronaldo thread had me thinking about my all time XI. I'd go with:

Banks

Cafu  Moore  Maldini  R.Carlos

Beckham Zidane Xavi  C.Ronaldo

Shearer Ronaldo

That's just my opinion, I swapped out Giggs for C.Ronaldo, but I think it works either way. An outstanding Goalkeeper, two full backs that like to attack, two rocks in the centre of defence. Beckham, the best crosser of the ball ever imo, on the right, Zidane given free reign with Xavi sitting and orchestrating things and C.Ronaldo another with sort of a free reign. Shearer and Ronaldo up top just guarantees goals. Difficult to leave Messi out and have C.Ronaldo in, that is a contentious point certainly. A very attack minded team but one that would be able to keep possession well and score bags of goals from the strikers and from midfield. Also the options at set pieces would be ridiculous.

no Pele FFS but Beckham????  Must be a ManU supporter  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Man U supporter fuck off :lol: I've seen very little of Pele outside of his World Cup goals whereas I've seen plenty of footage of Moore and Banks.  I have read Pele's autobiography and found it a very interesting read. Don't know why the selection of Beckham is so laughable, the guy has won pretty much everything apart from the World Cup, has been the model pro throughout his career and I've still yet to see a player that can cross a ball like him. I was there to witness the famous Scholes volley against Bradford City and it was a sight to behold. Absolutely perfect delivery from Beckham.

No Stanley Matthews?  Fair enough.  Obviously, I, just as pretty much anyone on this board, have only ever seen shitty stock footage of him play.  But his dribbling skills were very un-Englishlike in every way.   

Only saw both Matthews and Bobby Mitchell play in testimonials but the old folk used to say that Mitchell was the better of the two. Bobby seemed to get more goals but can only rely on other older fans to verify or disagree as to who they favoured.

The question of Stanley Matthews does raise the issue of how to compare players from different eras. Matthews was a teetotal fitness fanatic at a time when such players were rare. As a result he was able to play at the top level into his 50’s, which would now be completely unthinkable. He was able to skip past defenders who were considerably less mobile than those of today.

I’m only going by footage, but I’m not at all convinced he’d now have anything like the same impact. Besides, a lot of the older guys will tell you that, of the two, Tom Finney was the better player.

On a related issue, Moore and Beckenbauer were converted midfield players who were able to bring a lot of class to the centre back position, but again, I’m not sure whether that would work today. Centre backs now need to be a lot stronger and quicker to cope with the modern player.

Keegan

Keegan keegan keegan keegan

keegan keegan keegan keegan

keegan keegan

No Stanley Matthews?  Fair enough.  Obviously, I, just as pretty much anyone on this board, have only ever seen shitty stock footage of him play.  But his dribbling skills were very un-Englishlike in every way.   

Only saw both Matthews and Bobby Mitchell play in testimonials but the old folk used to say that Mitchell was the better of the two. Bobby seemed to get more goals but can only rely on other older fans to verify or disagree as to who they favoured.

The question of Stanley Matthews does raise the issue of how to compare players from different eras. Matthews was a teetotal fitness fanatic at a time when such players were rare. As a result he was able to play at the top level into his 50’s, which would now be completely unthinkable. He was able to skip past defenders who were considerably less mobile than those of today.

I’m only going by footage, but I’m not at all convinced he’d now have anything like the same impact. Besides, a lot of the older guys will tell you that, of the two, Tom Finney was the better player.

On a related issue, Moore and Beckenbauer were converted midfield players who were able to bring a lot of class to the centre back position, but again, I’m not sure whether that would work today. Centre backs now need to be a lot stronger and quicker to cope with the modern player.

Well, one can also say that these players would have benefited from modern training. Look at Xavi and Guardiola, both are the same "type" of player yet Xavi is way fitter even if he isn't an athletic player in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.fanfootball.co.uk/images/pep-guardiola1.jpg

http://www.futbolreal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/xavi-hernandez-450x304.jpg

Players I've seen:

Shilton

McGrain            Walker      Hansen      Pearce

Hoddle          Gullit          Waddle

Cantona 

Shearer                    Van Basten       

I've heard a lot about Danny McGrain, best in the world at one point?

Guest EastEndGeordie

Jennings

Cafu    Beckanbaeur  Moore  Irwin

Rijkaard

Matthews                      Giggs

Pele        Maradonna

Van Basten

'Nuff said

Keegan

Keegan keegan keegan keegan

keegan keegan keegan keegan

keegan keegan

No Terry Mac?

Going to go for players i've seen play, not just old clips from the internet etc...

Schmeichel

Cafu Desailly Maldini R.Carlos

Messi    Zidane    Cronaldo

Del Piero

Ronaldo  Henry

Guest EastEndGeordie

Going to go for players i've seen play, not just old clips from the internet etc...

Schmeichel

Del Piero

Ronaldo  Henry

Schmeichel

Redondo        Vieria

Ronaldo        Shearer

People I don't wanna say nothing but why are we all forgetting about Pele and Maradonna who are unarguably miles better than C Ronaldo and Messi?

Schmeichel

Del Piero

Ronaldo  Henry

Schmeichel

Cafu           Nesta           Cannavaro    Zanetti

Redondo        Vieria

Messi                                               C Ronaldo

Ronaldo         Shearer

People I don't wanna say nothing but why are we all forgetting about Pele and Maradonna?

Players i've seen. Saw some live of Maradonna but not enough, saw none of Pele.

Guest EastEndGeordie

I think most young whippersnappers around here haven't seen them play. I never saw Pelé and that's why I left him out.

You can search him on youtube :sigh:

Guest EastEndGeordie

Schmeichel

Del Piero

Ronaldo  Henry

Schmeichel

Redondo        Vieria

Ronaldo        Shearer

People I don't wanna say nothing but why are we all forgetting about Pele and Maradonna?

Players i've seen. Saw some live of Maradonna but not enough, saw none of Pele.

Just to say that I haven't singled you two people out purposefully it's just that you were the only ones so far apart from me to list dream teams on this page and I don't have the time to scroll through each and every page, so no offence personally.

Guest EastEndGeordie

It just feels massively fake to me to suggest Pele or Best etc...without ever seeing them kick a ball live and why I went with what I did.

Oh yeah I get that and stuff it's just that the thread is called the All time X1 not just the ones you've seen play live and thus thats why I listed the duo. But I get where your coming from

It just feels massively fake to me to suggest Pele or Best etc...without ever seeing them kick a ball live and why I went with what I did.

Oh yeah I get that and stuff it's just that the thread is called the All time X1 not just the ones you've seen play live.

I know and why i put a disclaimer in before putting up my team.

There's just something about witnessing players do their thing and being around at the time, marvel and their abilities and be in awe of their talent. It's not the same as watching old footage of a game you weren't around to see live. I respect their abilities and in no doubt they ranks amongst the best in the world at that time only two things for me, one is that football has evolved massively over the past 2 decades and the standard is far greater than before and two, I'm not that in to my footballing history, a fairs cup win i never saw doesn't mean half as much as beating Barcelona 3-2 or Manu 5-0 as these were moments i felt not just read about. Right or wrong that's the way it is for me.  

Guest EastEndGeordie

Oh yeah I get that and stuff it's just that the thread is called the All time X1 not just the ones you've seen play live.

I know and why i put a disclaimer in before putting up my team.

There's just something about witnessing players do their thing and being around at the time, marvel and their abilities and be in awe of their talent. It's not the same as watching old footage of a game you weren't around to see live. I respect their abilities and in no doubt they ranks amongst the best in the world at that time only two things for me, one is that football has evolved massively over the past 2 decades and the standard is far greater than before and two, I'm not that in to my footballing history, a fairs cup win i never saw doesn't mean half as much as beating Barcelona 3-2 or Manu 5-0 as these were moments i felt not just read about. Right or wrong that's the way it is for me. 

Well when I invent the first time machine I'm going to collect all of the users in this thread and we can travel through time watching each player and truly make the definitive list of the greatest X1.  :lol:

Anyone voting Pele under the age of 70 is just going off sheer reputation, thats why I've never understood the generic best xi's that constantly pop up, when probably 90% plus have seen them for a full 90 minutes.

Tbf there's loads of footage of Pele kicking around now.