Local Hero?

alpal78
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Had a good debate with Wullie in the Enrique thread, would be interesting to know what others think?

Although the discussion was centered on Carroll, the idea can be extrapolated to a more general question. Do teams need local players (defined as born in the locality or players who come from the youth setup) to be successful?

My position is that although local players give the club a sense of identity and give the fans a sense of belonging, they are not prerequisites for success (I voted no). What are needed for success are quality players regardless of their origins.

Wullie gave some interesting examples of successful clubs who all have local players Barcelona (Xavi, Iniesta, Messi...etc), Chelsea (Terry & Lampard), Liverpool (Gerrard & Carragher)...etc as proof that you need local players to be successful.

My counter argument is that those clubs are/were successful because all those players mentioned are good quality players, not because of where they were born or which youth academy they came from. Replace those players with other players from other parts of the country or even foreign players of the same quality and the clubs would be just as successful. I also gave the example of Inter Milan who to my knowledge did not have a key local player.

Don't just vote, provide your arguments too.

Inter's team last season.

/thread

Sorry I have no idea what you mean?  :lol:

Didn't read your post. Seems you used them as a counterexample anyway.  :thup:

Basically they had XI foreigners and won a treble. It means next to nothing to have local players, but in a romantic way it is quite nice.

Arsenal have been pretty good under Wenger for a while with no local players - although if "local" covers players brought in from your youth set up I guess this point's pretty much a nullity! It's an interesting point though - when we were awesome under Keegan, we did have quite a few Geordies in the side with Shearer, Beardsley, Clark, Howey... probably others I'm forgetting. I still think it's tenuous to say you need them though - when Chelsea won the league twice the only real local was Terry - don't forget that Lamps is from the East End and grew up a Hammer. Their team was based almost exclusively on expensive investment (Lamps included). I think Terry was the only local to come through for that team, although doubtless he was pretty important.

Can be useful, but not a necessity. They have to really want to be there though as that's what it's about more than just being local. Joey Barton has been one of our most passionate players this season and shown how much the club means to him, and has arguably been our best player this season, so that shows it's more the passion rather than just being local that's most helpful.

Inter's team last season.

/thread

Sorry I have no idea what you mean?  :lol:

Didn't read your post. Seems you used them as a counterexample anyway.  :thup:

Basically they had XI foreigners and won a treble. It means next to nothing to have local players, but in a romantic way it is quite nice.

This.

Even if there is some sort of research which suggests a correlation between more local players and relative success, I doubt there's much causation.[/uniwork]

I think Alex Ferguson would disagree with all of you, and 'local' slightly misrepresents my point, which is as much about produced players as anything.

Inter are a perfect example to back up my point too, as i said. A year later they're struggling because there was no foundations there beyond the manager. My point was about building consistent progress around certain players.

Can those who voted yes give their reasons? I fully accept the emotional value and romanticism that local players bring, but I can't see how they improve team performance by being local. The closest I can think of is that they push themselves harder because they 'love' the club more?

But as said players like Parker, Barton, Roy Keane gave their all to the club despite not being a local and then you have players like Shola who half the time looks like he couldn't care less so again I don't see a causation between being local and giving your all to the club.

I think Alex Ferguson would disagree with all of you, and 'local' slightly misrepresents my point, which is as much about produced players as anything.

Inter are a perfect example to back up my point too, as i said. A year later they're struggling because there was no foundations there beyond the manager. My point was about building consistent progress around certain players.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's more about building a consistent foundation by having players that (a) come through regularly enough to provide enough players and (b) have enough attachment to the club to stick around and care about how the club performs.

Man Utd a brilliant example as you say, and Inter (and possibly Chelsea) an example of how success that is only built through mercenaries can be fleeting.

To be fair to Inter, Jose is really one of the best and I don't really rate Rafa. Besides, they're not doing too poorly...3rd in the league, just 5 points behind Milan and still in the CL. To say that they are "struggling" to back up your point is disingenuous imo

Eh?

5 straight league titles under 2 different managers. They're successful because they've got good players, it has nothing to do with where they come from or how consistent the team has been. Infact not freshening the side over the summer like they had done in previous years probably contributed towards things stagnating.

As a fan, seeing local boys bringing home the trophies makes me feel prouder of the team. If the teams are meant to represent their communities (and for me Barça does represent Barcelona/Catalonia), you need local lads on them otherwise you might as well be supporting a team 1000 km from where you live.

But I agree it's not a necessity to achieve success.

Interestingly looking at the locations of the people who have posted in this thread the vast majority are currently not Newcastle based.

Local is very hard in this day of global scouting but there should be a core of players that have come through the ranks at club at all times. SAF could replace O'Shea or Brown in a heartbeat but he doesn't because he knows you have to core of players that are club men these players don't need to be DM who give 100% but players with spot on attitude & certain amount of ability. 

Exactly Ian. Honestly don't think it's coincidence that as Terry and Lampard start to age and wane, so do Chelsea because the foundations beyond them don't exist.

Lampard is an interesting exception because he wasn't theirs and they paid a lot for him but i've always thought of him as a local who the success since RA has been built around. I'm not trying to lay down hard and fast rules here but it's the same principle as the Liverpool boot room which brought them massive success across 20 years and 4 different managers.

Buying players will only get you so far without a soul to the squad, a few who will always be there, no matter who comes and goes in the meantime.