Newcastle United 1 - 1 Bolton - 26/02/11 - post match reaction from page 17

midds

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The 10 minutes that came after the sending off were an embarrassment. About five times Tiote got the ball deep and every other player was stood about with their fingers up their respective arses, not moving or wanting the ball.

Happens far too often in too many games, really bugs me. We've got one of the most static midfields in the league.

We really don't in the slightest. ??? We did for ten minutes today, like.

Which midfielders in our squad support the attack?

Which midfielders in our squad drop deep to receive the ball from the defence?

Which midfielders in our squad make forward runs off the ball?

The 10 minutes that came after the sending off were an embarrassment. About five times Tiote got the ball deep and every other player was stood about with their fingers up their respective arses, not moving or wanting the ball.

Happens far too often in too many games, really bugs me. We've got one of the most static midfields in the league.

Nolan

Tiote

Nolan

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nolan

Tiote

Nolan

OK - 2 midfielders out of 8. Nice. I'd even argue that Nolan wasn't consistent in supporting the attack or making forward runs, not to a level that wouldn't make him 'static'.

Four midfielders play per game. :cheesy:

There's no world-beaters, aside from Cheick, obvs :pow:, but to say it's one of the most static in the league is very harsh. Unfortunately Barton was out today but there's several good connections throughout the midfield and defense. Barton/Nolan/Tiote work well in tandom, as do Barton/Simpson and Jonas/Jose.

I agree with you, a bit, that they don't link to the attack too well. I'm looking forward to Ben Arfa's return where that's concerned.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Well done Pards, genius today, you sexy bugger, do me.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/theworm2345/Pardew.gif

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There's no world-beaters, aside from Cheick, obvs :pow:, but to say it's one of the most static in the league is very harsh. Unfortunately Barton was out today but there's several good connections throughout the midfield and defense. Barton/Nolan/Tiote work well in tandom, as do Barton/Simpson and Jonas/Jose.

I agree with you, a bit, that they don't link to the attack too well. I'm looking forward to Ben Arfa's return where that's concerned.

Midfields - collective.

It really is a static midfield. Very little off the ball movement, what there is of it, its often Barton/Tioté dropping deep to link with the defence. Nolan sometimes makes a forward run to link with the midfield, but only late. He's never up there during the initial attacking phase (long ball to targetman) to win a knock down/flick on. Be interested in which games you believe good midfield movement has happened.

From what I've seen this season, most of the midfield movement is very rigid, and the players rarely support each other for an easy passing angle/option. Most passes happen to smaller passes to Joey Barton (the most mobile of the current midfielders) as he's the only one offering an option. Once Barton has the ball, midfield stops 'moving'.

Guest guinness_fiend

Btw, i thought both Chris Foy and the linesman on the Milburn side were f***ing terrible.

Both linesmen were. f***ing dire performance from the lot of them. Would deffo like to see the Ranger offside goal again and the Best pen shout that was inexplicably flagged as offside, but only when he went to ground.

Harper 7 - fine

Simpson 6 - irritating at times by failing to show for the ball

Williamson 7 - not aerially dominant but coped well

Coloccini 7 - fine

Enrique 6 - hit and miss

R.Taylor 5 - sending off looked harsh, no way it'll be rescinded though, s*** set pieces mainly

Tiote 7 - mostly good

Nolan 6 - faded

Gutierrez 5 - full of s***

Best 6 - started brightly, not helped by terrible officiating

Lovenkrands 5 - scampered about to little effect

S. Taylor 6 - fine

Ranger 6 - tried

Kuqi 6 - did well, should have replaced Best far earlier

Both were cast iron offsides, I'm afraid.  The replays show as much.  The linesmen were spot on, it's not their fault that our players cannot work out high back lines.

Guest guinness_fiend

The one where Best was shoved over was only very very marginally offside. It was technically correct, but only by a couple of inches.

So they were both correct and cast iron.  Linespeople (guffaw) cannot win.  But it does demonstrate where the likes of Best need to improve and quick - learn to read the movement of the defence and catch them on the back foot, rather than running off like a headless chicken and wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

Guest guinness_fiend

But the likes of Messi (poor comparison, I know) drift up with the defence and then sprint off *after* the pass was made, not before.  It's an art.  Many top class forwards run horizontally across the backline to get that extra advantage on the turn.  Ours don't.

To use an FM phrase, I think it's fair to say our midfield can be fairly 'rigid' at times. Today in the 2nd half especially we made the pitch small for ourselves and its not a rareity to see our midfield too close to the back 4, leaving our strikers isolated and having to feed off the atrocious long balls we have a tendency to resort to. This was at its worst against Fulham a few weeks back, imo.

The worst is when for instance we see Jonas on the touchline calling for the ball, he recieves it and is closed down and both our CM's get sucked into where the ball is in the little congested space and it leaves us with nothing but static play. Very frustrating.

But, on a more positive view, we have 3 very hardworkers in Barton, Tiote and Jonas. Barton does a lot more running than people appreciate imo. I think that although Nolan's goals a key to the teams success, we'd benefit a lot more if Tiote played alongside someone like Gary Speed. That's some wish I know, but I think we'd see a great improvement then.

This midfield is certainly no worse than that of the 2006/07 season when we'd regularly see: Milner---Parker---Butt---N'Zogbia. That central midfield pairing was like hell on earth, and adding to that very poor crossing ability from both wingers, I'd definitely take what we have now, without a doubt.

But the likes of Messi (poor comparison, I know) drift up with the defence and then sprint off *after* the pass was made, not before.  It's an art.  Many top class forwards run horizontally across the backline to get that extra advantage on the turn.  Ours don't.

Yeah, it's a fine art, and obviously if you have the acceleration of Messi you don't need as much of a head start to get in.

Offsides like Best's today, where one foot happens to be ahead of the defender, I just don't have a problem with. A lot of the time they won't be spotted and you'll score. When the margin is as tight as that a lot of it is luck.

Yes, he could be a better player and always bend his runs exactly right though, can't argue with that.

Well they were correct, whether they were 'cast iron' I'm not sure.

I never get annoyed at forwards for being offside really, unless it's a really obvious one. Playing on the edge of offside is how you give yourself a chance of getting in on goal.

I hate how often he's offside, it just shows how thick he is and he constantly gives away possession because of it.

Well they were correct, whether they were 'cast iron' I'm not sure.

I never get annoyed at forwards for being offside really, unless it's a really obvious one. Playing on the edge of offside is how you give yourself a chance of getting in on goal.

Playing on the shoulder of a defender can be very effective, but only if you have the intelligence to time your run well. Something Lovenkrands and Best don't have atm. Sometimes the pass isn't given early enough but so many times Best and Lovenkrands are guilty of being lazy about their runs and completely mis-timing them.

Yeah, it's a fine art, and obviously if you have the acceleration of Messi you don't need as much of a head start to get in.

Offsides like Best's today, where one foot happens to be ahead of the defender, I just don't have a problem with. A lot of the time they won't be spotted and you'll score. When the margin is as tight as that a lot of it is luck.

Yes, he could be a better player and always bend his runs exactly right though, can't argue with that.

If it was purely down to luck then he'd be offside a lot less than he is, it's not luck, it's either laziness or ignorance.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thought Best worked really hard today, closed down from the front, won countless headers (let down by no support). Some good dribbling, decent cross. Just needs to sort his movement and timing off the ball out (and possibly his attacking/shooting heading ability).

Midfields - collective.

It really is a static midfield. Very little off the ball movement, what there is of it, its often Barton/Tioté dropping deep to link with the defence. Nolan sometimes makes a forward run to link with the midfield, but only late. He's never up there during the initial attacking phase (long ball to targetman) to win a knock down/flick on. Be interested in which games you believe good midfield movement has happened.

From what I've seen this season, most of the midfield movement is very rigid, and the players rarely support each other for an easy passing angle/option. Most passes happen to smaller passes to Joey Barton (the most mobile of the current midfielders) as he's the only one offering an option. Once Barton has the ball, midfield stops 'moving'.

Top post.

The one where Best was shoved over was only very very marginally offside. It was technically correct, but only by a couple of inches.

So they were both correct and cast iron.  Linespeople (guffaw) cannot win.  But it does demonstrate where the likes of Best need to improve and quick - learn to read the movement of the defence and catch them on the back foot, rather than running off like a headless chicken and wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

Being 2 inches offside is running off like a headless chicken?