Newcastle United 1 - 1 Bolton - 26/02/11 - post match reaction from page 17

midds

We should have been at least two up by the time they scored, which was annoying. The first half at least, every time they had the ball in a decent area it was because of sloppy passes and touches by us.

I need to see the Taylor tackle again because most around me thought it was harsh (albeit stupid). From that point on it was a decent point; Bolton have some good players and are a decent team.

Aye, this seems to have been largely ignored. They play some decent stuff at times - a neat series of passes between three or four of their players up their left sideline sticks out in particular as being representative of that.

Some of the disappointment of another draw has subsided (especially when a NUFC win looked so comfortably achievable at spells during the first half) I feel less aggrieved because Bolton are a good side. Not as good us, but a good side.

Based on what exactly?

Our domination of them in the first half is a good starter. (If you quote me the 5-1 reverse fixture, we had Smith/Guthrie that day).

first half ? they looked the most lkely in the last 10 of the first half.....that equaliser wan't against the run of play.

Okay then, the other 35 where we fashioned way more chances with ease Mr Pointlessly Pedantic :lol: ;)

Guest toonarmymia

Dean Sturridge did US comms and was really bad. Very pro-Bolton for obvious reasons.

Watched the Spanish channel at noon over here for game. Couldnt understand a bloody word they said. Better

We should have been at least two up by the time they scored, which was annoying. The first half at least, every time they had the ball in a decent area it was because of sloppy passes and touches by us.

I need to see the Taylor tackle again because most around me thought it was harsh (albeit stupid). From that point on it was a decent point; Bolton have some good players and are a decent team.

Aye, this seems to have been largely ignored. They play some decent stuff at times - a neat series of passes between three or four of their players up their left sideline sticks out in particular as being representative of that.

Some of the disappointment of another draw has subsided (especially when a NUFC win looked so comfortably achievable at spells during the first half) I feel less aggrieved because Bolton are a good side. Not as good us, but a good side.

Based on what exactly?

Our domination of them in the first half is a good starter. (If you quote me the 5-1 reverse fixture, we had Smith/Guthrie that day).

first half ? they looked the most lkely in the last 10 of the first half.....that equaliser wan't against the run of play.

That's exactly what it was.

Guest magpie99

I thought it was a great game in the 1st half and with a bit more luck, we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time. Best was unlucky on 3 occasions and the penalty shout, whilst correct, was slightly unfortunate because there couldnt have been more than centimetres in it. Harper shouild definitely have got Sturridge's shot. It was a powder puff effort and not even in the corner.

Taylor was rightly sent off and the game changed after that for obvious reasons. Shame about Ranger's disallowed goal but once again, the correct decision.

Some points though:

If Pardew is working with the defence as he said, how long is it going to take him to get through to the likes of Colo, Enrique and Tiote to stop fuckng around on the edge of our box and hoof it if undfer pressure. Once again, we give a goal away from this.

Also, we tend to defend too deeply and invite the opposition on to us. Bolton were clearly more dominant in the air up front. Games like this is where we need to keep a higher line. Also, againast the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool, I wouldnt mind seeing Saylor in beside Williamson and Colo and Tiote in the holding midfield positions with only Best up front supported from the flanks.

Best had a very good game and if he was a bit more accurate, he could have had a hat trick in the first half. Glad we didnt sign Wheater because he looks like a cart horse.

Finally, Bolton were missing ony a couple of defenders from their squad whilst we were missing so much creativity in midfield and up front (if you count the sale of Carroll). There was no Barton, Ben Arfa, Gosling, Guthrie, Shola etc so these back, coupled with half a dpozen decent signings in the summer and we could have a bloody healthy squad next year, as long as we dont sell anymore of our better players.

Harper was s**** for their goal, he's like a slow mo camera trick trying to dive down to his side.

Agreed. I was quite surprised when that shot went in. It was loose, and not well placed. Harps has been outstanding lately, but I'm pretty sure both Krul and Forster would have saved that shot.

Harper was s**** for their goal, he's like a slow mo camera trick trying to dive down to his side.

Silly tackle from Raylor though no malice as people have already suggested. Dipshit.

FYP

If Pardew is working with the defence as he said, how long is it going to take him to get through to the likes of Colo, Enrique and Tiote to stop fuckng around on the edge of our box and hoof it if undfer pressure. Once again, we give a goal away from this.

I know what you mean. I like to see defenders play the ball out properly, but it depends on the situation. With the goal, it felt like the players were passing the buck under pressure rather than playing it constructively.

Credit must go to Pardew for the subs. We had completely lost the initiative after the sending off and looked like losing. It wasn't apparent from the small screen, but he went to three at the back with Taylor, brought on Ranger's pace and still kept two up front. It was one of those occasions where attack is the best form of defence, and at the end we looked just as likely as Bolton to get the winner.

Harper was caught with his weight on the wrong foot but the lack of agility was a bit worrying.  :undecided:

I'm pretty sure Krul would have saved that shot but Harper has done pretty good otherwise so I'm not blaming him!

Sturridge has some great potential it seems. Easily the best player for Bolton and MOM I think.(followed by Tiote)

Raylor surely did Barton's job but he certainly didn't need to go that hard for the tackle. Unlucky to get sent off considering De Jong didn't even get carded for his against HBA. It was the general manner of the tackle...fucking 2 footed jump which is always stupid as you can't control it

It's pretty interesting that people didn't like Parker's running in circles when he was here as it's pretty much the same with Tiote now. Parker was a great player but noone liked him. I don't think Tiote is that much better but everyone loves him...

I loved Parker when he was here but Tiote is a better player. Saying that, Parker in his first season here was probably just as good.

We'll see how Tiote does next season.

No way, Parker was good but Tiote's been phenomenal. Agree about not judging on just one season though.

It's pretty interesting that people didn't like Parker's running in circles when he was here as it's pretty much the same with Tiote now. Parker was a great player but noone liked him. I don't think Tiote is that much better but everyone loves him...

That's quite thought-provoking, because I'd agree, quite often Tiote holds on to the ball longer than you'd like.

I think the difference is that Tiote holds on to it, looking for the best possible ball forward. Parker's movement tended to be more with the aim of keeping possession, and we'd end up with a short ball sideways.

I'm exaggerating a bit to make the point. But Tiote just looks the more confident player.

i haven't came out of a match so hoarse from shouting at a ref in a long time. the ammount of pushing and holding they were allowed to get away with was beyond a ref having a poor day.

some points......

tiotes quietest game for a while

enrique fantastic on the ball yet his worst defensive display for us that i can remember

how much can we get for jonas in the summer ?

good call from pardew to go after the game and go to 3 centre halves.

how much would we be prepared to pay for sturridge ?

after the last home game people were still leaving before the end.

Agree with most of this, If enrique is sold im quite sure we could find someone better at defending from left back but no way could we find someone that matches his attacking play.just out of interest id love to see him have a game at left wing, didnt bale start mainly as a left back?

And credit goes to Pardew for the tactical change worked really well.

I loved Parker when he was here but Tiote is a better player. Saying that, Parker in his first season here was probably just as good.

We'll see how Tiote does next season.

No way, Parker was good but Tiote's been phenomenal. Agree about not judging on just one season though.

Remember, Parker was playing in a weaker team than Tiote. We didn't have players like Jonas, Enrique, Simpson or Barton on the wings waiting for the ball. We had the likes of Carr and Duff.

I've now seen it again and still can't believe it was a red card, he overran it and tried to win the ball back, not violent conduct or malicious at all.

Based on what exactly?

We should have been out of sight by then though, we'd battered them for 35 minutes.

I've now seen it again and still can't believe it was a red card, he overran it and tried to win the ball back, not violent conduct or malicious at all.

It was definitely a red mate. I think most would agree it wasn't malicious but you just can't dive in like he did.

He dived in, left the ground, went over the ball and into Elmander. It's a red every day of the week.