Co Durham, Tyne & Wear and Northumberland all in "Top 10 Football Hotbed"

Stu

8 years old, ffs.

We've had Ranger, Carroll, Ferguson, Krul, Forster and Kadar come through the set up in the past couple of years. That's a pretty good haul so far.

Bearing in mind we 'bought' Krul, Kadar and Ranger - I don't know if they can really be counted.

8 years old, ffs.

We've had Ranger, Carroll, Ferguson, Krul, Forster and Kadar come through the set up in the past couple of years. That's a pretty good haul so far.

Carroll was playing in the first team in 2006 and had been at the club since he was 10. Ranger, Ferguson, Krul and Kadar are hardly local lads. Bringing in young promising lads from around the world at 16/17 is one part of the academy, but making sure you're the academy of choice for kids in your catchment area is another. If another club gets the pick of the kids when they are younger, they're unlikely to jump ship to us from Sunderland or Middlesbrough at 16.

Promoting regional football

The Board and supporters are aware that Newcastle United currently has a footballing academy brimming with talent, skill and dedication. As part of Newcastle United's quest for a team that truly represents the values of the Geordie nation the club will look to promote, where it can, from within and for the academy to become a leading light as one of the best if not the best in the UK.

The days when players such as Alan Shearer, Steve Bruce, Peter Beardsley and Michael Carrick had to leave Newcastle to begin their illustrious football careers elsewhere are over. Newcastle United is more than aware of the great passion for the game of football that exists locally and is intent on ensuring that every great Geordie footballer has the opportunity to play for his home team club as long as they have no ambition and are willing to take a significantly lower wage than they can get elsewhere.

Peter Ramage was a Northumberland lad n all, although Berwick doesn't really count. Fraser Forster, born in Hexham too, like all good young goalkeepers :shifty:

:lol: Must've been where I went wrong in my football career.

Peter Ramage was a Northumberland lad n all, although Berwick doesn't really count. Fraser Forster, born in Hexham too, like all good young goalkeepers :shifty:

:lol: Must've been where I went wrong in my football career.

Fair chance Internet video star Ben Alnwick was n all I'd have thought despite wiki saying Prudda (despite the only hospital being a loony bin)

Do Arsenal have the academy of choice in their area? I don't think you could ever know because most of their youngsters have actually been 'bought' in the same way that Kadar, Ranger and Krul have been. Look at Man Utd with the twin Brazilian full-backs. It's the same thing. If you can do it, you do it. Developing 'true' local lads is another part of it, but if you're able to buy really young players and develop them into first team players then your academy would still be considered a massively successful one.

And 8 year olds, man. There are far too many factors that affect whether an 8 year old will eventually become a professional footballer that it's a massive waste of time trying to develop them. If we're treating 13 and 14 year olds with indifference and not providing them with the proper coaching and adequate facilities then you'll have something to say. An 8 year old kid is ten fucking years away from being close to first-team football. Too many things can happen in that time, like him not developing physically. At least at 13 and 14, you have some idea of whether he'll be able to handle it physically, then you can develop him technically.