Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

If someone else had signed Cabaye the perception of Carr would be very different. And signing a French international on the verge of cementing a starting role for his country hardly constitutes great scouting anyway. Him and his mate McClaren should both be sacked.

Yup. No idea where his stellar reputation has come from.

I think the trouble Carr has is that he's probably handing Ashley as list and they're buying choice number 5.

Charnley rather than Ashley. We really need to get a skilled negotiator in as a director of football

I think the trouble Carr has is that he's probably handing Ashley as list and they're buying choice number 5.

Charnley rather than Ashley. We really need to get a skilled negotiator in as a director of football

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

If someone else had signed Cabaye the perception of Carr would be very different. And signing a French international on the verge of cementing a starting role for his country hardly constitutes great scouting anyway. Him and his mate McClaren should both be sacked.

Just Cabaye? So not Ba, HBA, Cisse, Debuchy, Remy, Sissoko etc? We all know that we had a team with a lot of quality from 2011-2014.

:lol: Well will people accept that not every signing a football club makes will be successful?

Carr has recommended some excellent footballers to NUFC, some we have bought - some we have not. People also forget that we have idiots trying to get these players he recommends for about £25 on £15 p/w wages, which severely dampens the quality of player we can go in for.

We've signed some crap players, but then again... So has every other football club in the entire world. Some transfer do not just work, it happens.

If Perez was his spot, then he must have something.

It's no good saying, "well he was playing for france or well club x was after him."

What do people expect, to sign the next messi from the dog and duck?

Ultimately, I believe,his job is to source available players and sound out agents.

Just Cabaye? So not Ba, HBA, Cisse, Debuchy, Remy, Sissoko etc? We all know that we had a team with a lot of quality from 2011-2014.

You taking the piss or what, KI? Every one of those mentioned was well known as a good-very good player on here before we signed them. If his job's to ring up the agent of every good player and ask how much they want and would cost, fair play. The man can use a fucking telephone. As a scout he's been woeful.

Sorry Ron but you are well off there like.

It's a near impossibility in the modern era to find an unknown gem. If they are any good, chances are they have already been spotted.

I'd hazard a guess and say most club's chief scouts are just glorified agents. I'm sure Carr has dozens working for him, even if they are not on the club's books.

Guest firetotheworks

You taking the piss or what, KI? Every one of those mentioned was well known as a good-very good player on here before we signed them. If his job's to ring up the agent of every good player and ask how much they want and would cost, fair play. The man can use a fucking telephone. As a scout he's been woeful.

That's a totally separate point that I wasn't making. I was asking why Cabaye was singled out, he was just as known as the rest on that list.

It's a near impossibility in the modern era to find an unknown gem. If they are any good, chances are they have already been spotted.

That may be so, but pretty much every time we've bought a player we haven't really heard of he's turned out to be utter shit. Not to mention the tens of millions wasted on more established players like Anita, MYM, Cabella etc.

That may be so, but pretty much every time we've bought a player we haven't really heard of he's turned out to be utter shit. Not to mention the tens of millions wasted on more established players like Anita, MYM, Cabella etc.

Some of that is down to coaching.

You could easily argue that all 3 of those mentioned are glaringly physically unsuited to English football yet they cost over £20m.

Guest firetotheworks

Why is it excusable for him to have so many shite players on his list(s) anyway?

My excuse for him is and has always been that he has a limited remit. Players that are young, cheap and/or at the end of their contract, who are good players and who can be sold on for profit. The fact that we scoured the French league to the point of saturation to me shows you how difficult it is to find players with all of those attributes. I don't think he's blameless, I just don't think you can really point to him in the same way that you could if he wasn't limited with those filters.

You could easily argue that all 3 of those mentioned are glaringly physically unsuited to English football yet they cost over £20m.

I think that's a valid criticism tbh, Cabella and Anita aren't necessarily bad players, just not physically suited to English football. I still don't get why we keep signing centre backs who aren't over 6ft either.

I think that's a valid criticism tbh, Cabella and Anita aren't necessarily bad players, just not physically suited to English football. I still don't get why we keep signing centre backs who aren't over 6ft either.

He probably gave Mapou a good report because he envisaged him playing alongside Douglas and not Coloccini.

That may be so, but pretty much every time we've bought a player we haven't really heard of he's turned out to be utter s***. Not to mention the tens of millions wasted on more established players like Anita, MYM, Cabella etc.

Perez was only £1.5 million or so. Harsh to throw him in the same boat as the other two, especially seeing as he's been relatively successful.

Mbemba and Mitrovic were both relatively obscure pickups; debatable as to whether Mitro's been a success so far (I'd argue that he has, even if his goal record suggests otherwise), but Mbemba's generally been very good.

Edit: misread the original post, ignore the top bit.