Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

The thing I've questioned, repeatedly, is Carr's ability to find players - ie seeing things on the pitch that you average bloke couldn't, then bringing the right players to the club for our purposes. Nobody would argue the 3 players mentioned don't represent good business. It obvious his 'skill' lies in discovering when players are sometimes going for less than they're worth. That isn't scouting, it's networking. He's a shit scout with decent contacts, basically.

Which I'm sure is quite an important part of the scouting business. As long as he doesn't have any more power than he deserves/is qualified for then it's unlikely he's going to do much harm; especially if Rafa is bringing in that McParland fella as well.

If Carr thinks he's worthy of whatever jumped up position he's currently holding then we might have a problem.

His criteria has been to find players that can be signed and have a high chance of being sold for more.

This is why we are so lop sided as a squad because the players that were brought in didn't arrive to strengthen the squad,just to make money.

Thauvin and Cabella have been massive flops but everyone was pretty hyped when we signed those two because of their "potential"

I think now for the first time in a long time,Rafa will be telling him exactly the player type he wants. Not just one that "can make us some money in a few years"

Carr isn't a bad scout,I think he'll be a lot happier working for Rafa.

The thing I've questioned, repeatedly, is Carr's ability to find players - ie seeing things on the pitch that you average bloke couldn't, then bringing the right players to the club for our purposes. Nobody would argue the 3 players mentioned don't represent good business. It obvious his 'skill' lies in discovering when players are sometimes going for less than they're worth. That isn't scouting, it's networking. He's a shit scout with decent contacts, basically.

But that's what he was paid to do. If he was asked to scout for 28 year old 6'5 defenders he could probably deliver.

We've just been relegated after signing his players/managers for the past half-decade, man. Of course he's a s*** scout.

But players and managers that Ashley wanted him to find. Players with re-sale value and managers who are yes men.

Carr is just doing what he's told. I'm pretty certain the players on his list at 1/2/3 would be amazing signings for us. Lacazette,Aubameyang etc

But that's what he was paid to do. If he was asked to scout for 28 year old 6'5 defenders he could probably deliver.

So could anyone with access to Wikipedia.

Not sure Carr's shown any evidence at all of being a good scout whilst here like (Abeid maybe?), Ron's spot on in that he's just a bloke with good contacts. He's done this for a long time.

We've just been relegated after signing his players/managers for the past half-decade, man. Of course he's a s*** scout.

But players and managers that Ashley wanted him to find. Players with re-sale value and managers who are yes men.

Carr is just doing what he's told. I'm pretty certain the players on his list at 1/2/3 would be amazing signings for us. Lacazette,Aubameyang etc

His paper might as well read "Neymar... Pogba... Vidal." His job was obviously to find good young players we could sell for a profit (best way to fo this is by virtue of them turning out to be a 'hidden gem') and he failed spectacularly.

If that's the case, why the massive lob on for the likes of Thauvin then? He knocked us back and knocked us back, wasn't until he basically had any other choice but to come here that he finally signed. Turned out to be completely unfit for the squad and manager* and was on the first plane back to France. That is some truly shocking scouting, and it's all on him. Clearly not far down his list either.

*Speaking of the manager, his situation was actually eerily similar to Thauvin's, yet Carr kept his stiffy for him and that basically relegated us.

Oh, he was being paid to spend the past 4 years signing players not fit for PL football, then? Ok.

How do you decide on who's fit for premier league purpose? Danny Simpson has a premier  league winner's medal round his neck right now, did you predict that?

Oh, he was being paid to spend the past 4 years signing players not fit for PL football, then? Ok.

How do you decide on who's fit for premier league purpose? Danny Simpson has a premier  league winner's medal round his neck right now, did you predict that?

I think we all predicted that we would probably struggle to score goals with a 21 year old kid that's new to the league as our main striker this season.

You've spent the best part of a year (rightly) alluding to the fact too many of our players can't compete physically and that Steve McClaren is a shit manager. Now you're saying the bloke most responsible for bringing them here isn't culpable. :lol:

Nah but the Leicester scouts did.

Maybe they'll win the title again next year then. I wonder what the odds are.

Leicester, just like 75 % of the league, didn't sign players last season to try and win the league. They just happened to do it anyway.

I think we all predicted that we would probably struggle to score goals with a 21 year old kid that's new to the league as our main striker this season.

Yeah I did as well. That's why I didn't advocate selling Cisse unless we signed a proven striker which we didn't.

Yeah I did as well. That's why I didn't advocate selling Cisse unless we signed a proven striker which we didn't.

An ageing Cissé who hasn't been motivated here for 2 years and spent large spells out injured last season. Not the two most reliable strikers IYAM.

You've spent the best part of a year (rightly) alluding to the fact too many of our players can't compete physically and that Steve McClaren is a shit manager. Now you're saying the bloke most responsible for bringing them here isn't culpable. :lol:

It depends on the manager's remit. I've always thought that the spine of the side should compete physically, that goes from the goalkeeper, to the central defender and central midfielders. Strikers not so much. You don't need big strikers if you can attack on the counter.