Newcastle Goalkeepers

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Keep Harper as no.1 with Forster as backup, send Krul out on loan.

Hand Harper a coaches contract the season after, and have Forster and Krul fight it out for no.1.

Problem solved.

Oi, that is blatant plaigarism of my post on the last page!

For shame, Jonny Hall.

... asking a player who has been here for 10+ years whether he wants to be a coach is a natural progression / way to show some appreciation for his time at the club, rather than dropping him.

It's nowt to do with whether the guy can coach or not.

People underrate Harper as a goalkeeper IMO. And judging by this thread some actually rate him more highly as a coach. And that's because... ???

Because he's been a great servant to this club, and yet has only just now been given the chance as no.1.

I'd happily give him a chance as a coach in a couple of years time than pat him on the arse and go "Cheers for keeping the bench warm all these years mate, off you pop"

http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2011/03/the-great-goalkeeper-debate-at.html

The great goalkeeper debate at NUFC

By Lee Ryder on Mar 14, 11 08:29 AM

It might not be an issue just yet but in the fullness of time, Alan Pardew has a big decision to make when it comes to his goalkeeping department.

Two into one just won't go, while three into one makes life even harder - if only the Magpies had the same problem in their attacking frontline.

As Pardew puts it, the current time belongs to loyal and long serving keeper Steve Harper.

The Easington-born stopper was in superb form against Everton and has justified his selection in recent weeks.

Many felt that Harper should have quit the club during the stage when he couldn't get past Shay Given.

But others think that his loyalty to the black and white cause should be respected, I fit into the latter category.

In a world of Big Time Charlies in football, Harper is not one of them.

He could have easily sulked during his stint in the football wilderness but he continued to train hard and stake his claim before being rewarded with a contract when Given went to Man City.

On top of that he still shows a genuine interest in the club's reserve team watching every game where and when possible and must have clocked up hundreds of hours carrying out community work for the Magpies.

How many senior pros bother to do that these days?

Harper has also incredibly been overlooked by England during a dire time of need when it comes to goalies.

Then you have Tim Krul.

It as only the other night that I witnessed a superb showing from the Dutchman in the reserves against Arsenal.

Speculation has been rife that Krul could go in the summer but surely doing so would be letting one of Europe's top young goalies leave the club.

Krul dismissed the talk as "garbage" in an interview after the game.

For many Toon fans he could be the long-term answer to life between the posts at United.

Fraser Forster has proven to be a an exciting find from the club's youth system.

The giant Hexham lad is proving in the SPL he can live with life in the fast lane.

Forster could well be recalled next season and will be 23 this week.

At 6ft 7in he stands taller than most keepers in Europe and the player is an excellent shot stopper.

Having proved himself with Celtic he would have every right to bang on Pardew's door next summer and ask where he stands in relation to the number 1 spot.

One option for Pardew is to loan out Forster or Krul again while Harper continues to enjoy his peak goalkeeping years.

But it's a big decision and letting go of either Krul of Forster could come back to bite Newcastle where it hurts.

There's also an excellent understudy emerging in the shape of Jak Alnwick.

Unlike Forster, Alnwick is already being fast tracked by England and has youth international caps.

All of them are big decisions for Pardew but nice ones to have to make.

For now the great goalie debate continues to rumble on.

People underrate Harper as a goalkeeper IMO. And judging by this thread some actually rate him more highly as a coach. And that's because... ???

Because he's been a great servant to this club, and yet has only just now been given the chance as no.1.

I'd happily give him a chance as a coach in a couple of years time than pat him on the arse and go "Cheers for keeping the bench warm all these years mate, off you pop"

Does Harper have his coaching badges like?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think he'd make a good coach anyway. Lots of experience, he's worked under a variety of different managers and methods, intelligent bloke aswell.

He's got something. Did some work with some of our younger academy players in the relegation season IIRC.

Guest toonlass

He's got something. Did some work with some of our younger academy players in the relegation season IIRC.

Dunno about his coaching badges but he's an FA recognised referee.

Found something:

Newcastle aces show dedication and commitment

June 2009

As Newcastle United slipped to relegation from the Premier League, the dedication and professionalism of two of their senior players shone through on the coaching field.

For striker Michael Owen and keeper Steve Harper were taking their Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Football Award under the guidance of the PFA’s North East Regional Coach Ian Kerr.

Owen and Harper worked with Newcastle’s U9’s and U10’s academy players throughout the winter as Kerr put them through the award.

He says: “They both showed exceptional commitment to the course, fitting around the demands we placed on them. Returning in the evenings to coach the youngsters at the academy was a challenge at times but one they always met.”

Kerr continued: “They where both driven to gain the award and were very receptive to the ideas of coach education. Having players of that stature willing to listen and learn was a real boost.

“They have such vast playing experience that they really just needed to gain a greater understanding of the coaching methodology.”

As Owen states: “I’ve always been interested in coaching. I really enjoyed this introduction and will look to start on my UEFA B as soon as I can. The PFA were very supportive, giving me the direction and assistance to qualify at this level.”

Yet it was Owen and Harper who had to show the real desire to achieve the award. As Kerr says: “With so many tasks to complete the players took every opportunity to get the work done. On the way home from a game at Spurs they even sat at the back of the bus completing their tasks.”

The youngsters at Newcastle United’s academy also gained a great deal out of the experience as Kerr said: “The young players really enjoyed having these premier League stars coach them. Owen and Harper had an excellent rapport with them and gave such a lot back to the academy players.”

For Harper this is just the beginning as he states: “I want to follow the pathway into coaching. I enjoyed the first course and I’m grateful for the support and flexibility offered by the PFA to help me gain this award.”

As Kerr says: “The course gave Owen and Harper a real taste for coaching and they have a genuine thirst for gaining more knowledge.”

It would seem the current generation of outstanding players are already looking to the future with the help and support of the PFA Coaching Department.

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa/coaching-news/newcastle-aces-show-dedication-and-commitment

Doesn't Harper have a degree or two also?

Would be quite funny if he ended up managing us.

We'll probably bring Given in as manager, with Harper as his assistant :boomboom:

As well as Harper's been playing well, and might do for the next 2 even 3 years. We have to think about the long-term future of that position. Krul & Forster are more than capable to play Premier League level, and we can't risk losing both of them, nevermind one, by keeping one on the bench and one out on loan until they're in their mid 20s. Big decisions ahead for Pardew in this department this summer.

Personally, I predict Forster number 1, Harper bench, Krul to a continental side for a few million.

We really need to keep both for as long as possible. Harper could be finished any time.

They're both still young for goalkeepers, I would hope we could manage them with loans and cup appearances for another couple of seasons if necessary.

Guest Mantis

Anything other than Forster coming back will be a disappointment for me.  Developing youth, blah, blah, blah.  We'll see

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Loven11

ALAN Pardew has warned Celtic there is no chance he will accept a £2m offer for Fraser Forster in the summer as he insisted the goalkeeper is looking forward to returning to Newcastle.

Forster has enjoyed another successful season on loan at Celtic after a similar switch to Norwich City last season, and his future is one of the hot topics in Glasgow.

Some sources North of the border have suggested Forster is keen to sign on a permanent basis, with Celtic prepared to offer £2m up front with several add-ons attached to try and tempt them to sell one of the best goalkeeping prospects in the country.

But Pardew claims Forster has told him he is looking forward to coming back and the United boss expects the 23-year-old from Hexham to put plenty of pressure on first choice Steve Harper and his deputy Tim Krul.

He said: “The last time I spoke to Fraser Forster I made it clear he would be coming back here in pre-season to fight for the first team jersey.

“I will not accept a £2m bid from Celtic. I do not want to bring a new keeper in because I expect the three we have got to start pre-season.”

Pardew, though, has a problem on his hands. Harper’s performances this season prove his powers are not on the wane, while Forster has had two seasons of regular first-team football. Sitting on the bench will feel like a step backwards at this stage of his career, as he has indicated when interviewed in Scotland.

In his absence, Krul has established himself as a reliable back up and has also sampled Premier League action during Harper’s 12-week lay-off with a shoulder injury.

In reality, Pardew knows he will have to let one of the younger players go, preferably on loan, rather than have all of the trio competing with each other for once position on a matchday.

Whether that is Forster again or Krul remains to be seen, but the Dutchman was reluctant to do something similar last summer and regards himself as the club’s number two goalkeeper with Forster third-choice.

However, Pardew may see things differently and does not hide his admiration for Forster, as he argued he should have been called up by the England Under-21 squad this season on the back of his performances in Glasgow.

He said: “He is eligible for the Under-21s, but whether he should be in the squad is a question I cannot really answer. I have an opinion and perhaps he should be around that team.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/04/01/alan-pardew-in-fraser-forster-warning-to-celtic-61634-28440096/

Forster's had his time out on loan so I think it's best that Krul goes out on loan for a while now.