The worst players in recent club history

Ishmael

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Thought he played well against Villa this season. But yes, very very limited player who should be nowhere near our squad even.

Never seen Smith have a good game...far too anonymous for that. Complete passenger. He's been a name I've dreaded appearing on any team sheet that comes out, more so than any player in recent history.

Smith did pretty well in the first few months of the Championship season. Fact.

For me it's an easy choice. This is a man that almost bankrupted the club, he was injured most of the time,  didn't originally want to play for us but changed his mind when he saw the salary offered, went straight home after football practice and generally didn't give a damn about the club's destiny. Although Fred and Souness are equally to blame for bringing in this idiot, Owen still is the biggest  mercenary f*** to be associated with this club.

Don't tell me, you were saying as much when Owen signed?

I just can't understand how anyone would want Luque in the team ahead of Shearer, even in his last year. It seems the facade lived on even after countless managers rejected him and he left without a trace of impact. Completely delusional. He was gutless, never suited to the league... and consequently bled the club dry of God-knows-what wages, an important squad place, and £10m.

Are you talking about the Luque before the serious injury and mistreatment or the Luque prior to those events?

He's talking about the actual Luque, not the hypothetical world beater.

This is where you lot are failing to understand the argument and so there is no point continuing it. 

I just can't understand how anyone would want Luque in the team ahead of Shearer, even in his last year. It seems the facade lived on even after countless managers rejected him and he left without a trace of impact. Completely delusional. He was gutless, never suited to the league... and consequently bled the club dry of God-knows-what wages, an important squad place, and £10m.

Are you talking about the Luque before the serious injury and mistreatment or the Luque prior to those events?

This is where you lot are failing to understand the argument and so there is no point continuing it. 

You're building a Luque who never existed, a Luque who should have taken Shearer's place in the team.  The actual Luque was there and did nothing to earn his wages or justify his price tag.

It's as simple as that.

Again, you were about 7 at the time and you're completely ignoring what you've just been told by VI - who saw plenty of him.

I was roughly 34 at the time and fully concur with what the 7-year-old said.

I, unlike you, was sat just behind the dug-out at Spurs when he refused to warm up (for the game Owen was crocked in, as I recall) because he was on the bench. Terry Mac had to physically push him onto the pitch.

Luque was a disgrace. End of.

You're building a Luque who never existed, a Luque who should have taken Shearer's place in the team.  The actual Luque was there and did nothing to earn his wages or justify his price tag.

It's as simple as that.

Again, you were about 7 at the time and you're completely ignoring what you've just been told by VI - who saw plenty of him.

I, unlike you, was sat just behind the dug-out at Spurs when he refused to warm up (for the game Owen was crocked in, as I recall) because he was on the bench. Terry Mac had to physically push him onto the pitch.

You rate Steven Taylor, you've clearly never been that close to a footie pitch.

Guest Chubby Jason

It's as simple as that.

You rate Steven Taylor, you've clearly never been that close to a footie pitch.

Care to respond to Luque's refusal to warm up?

According to?

According to anyone who was sat within spitting distance of our bench about 20 minutes before kick-off that day. Or did I just make it up, adding Terry Mac to my flight of fantasy for mere comic effect?

Oh no, I didn't...

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_objectid=16539228%26method=full%26siteid=50081%26headline=tottenham-2--newcastle-united-0-name_page.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/jan/02/newsstory.sport1

Good dig re Saylor by the way - the same player you repeatedly stated was a significantly better bet than Mike Williamson (and Joleon Lescott) just last month . . . before you backtracked quicker than Saylor at his worst.

Pattison is the worst by some distance. I really don't have any idea how he became a footballer, vastly under-qualified. He has to be one of the least talented people to ever play in the Premiership.

The corpses of Carr and Babayaro were awful for us, but obviously these players were quite good when their careers were alive.

Never seen Smith have a good game...far too anonymous for that. Complete passenger. He's been a name I've dreaded appearing on any team sheet that comes out, more so than any player in recent history.

He had a good game against Arsenal once.

So did Jamie McClen.

Wh

Boumsong and Luque.  As much as I hated Owen and everything about him, he actually had a half decent scoring record (when fit).

He was shit. According to nufcblog he cost us £40 mill and scored 30 goals. That's some expensive goals. Owen is good when he got a midfielder that is able to thread the breakthrough passes he needs. But Owen is not the kind of player that stands out if the rest of the team has problems. Then he's the weakest link. One expects more from a player that is paid £100 000 a week. A player on that salary must be a notch above the rest, delivering good football even though the rest have problems. But he was just as bad as the others when we went down. He was in fact invisible. That cunt!

Guest Chubby Jason

Owen was a joy to watch in the playing behind Viduka & Martins, that was probably the last time I felt happy to be a Newcastle fan; as brief as it was... :/

Owen was a joy to watch in the playing behind Viduka & Martins, that was probably the last time I felt happy to be a Newcastle fan; as brief as it was... :/

I have suppressed every decent game that cunt has delivered. :lol:  For me, he's the definition of rubbish!

Wh

Boumsong and Luque.  As much as I hated Owen and everything about him, he actually had a half decent scoring record (when fit).

He was s***. According to nufcblog he cost us £40 mill and scored 30 goals. That's some expensive goals. Owen is good when he got a midfielder that is able to thread the breakthrough passes he needs. But Owen is not the kind of player that stands out if the rest of the team has problems. Then he's the weakest link. One expects more from a player that is paid £100 000 a week. A player on that salary must be a notch above the rest, delivering good football even though the rest have problems. But he was just as bad as the others when we went down. He was in fact invisible. That c***!

His goalscoring record was something like 1 in every 2.5 games, hence the fact I put 'when fit'.  There is no doubt he exagerated injuries, didn't want to play for us and was only interested in horses and England.  However, I'm trying to not let my hatred for the man get in the way, there has been far worse players for us IMO.

Not if also factor in how he affected our economy and fucked up our player group. He was the captain and should have taken responsibility like Nolan and Smith. But noo, he went straight back home to shag his horses!

Wh

He was s***. According to nufcblog he cost us £40 mill and scored 30 goals. That's some expensive goals. Owen is good when he got a midfielder that is able to thread the breakthrough passes he needs. But Owen is not the kind of player that stands out if the rest of the team has problems. Then he's the weakest link. One expects more from a player that is paid £100 000 a week. A player on that salary must be a notch above the rest, delivering good football even though the rest have problems. But he was just as bad as the others when we went down. He was in fact invisible. That c***!

His goalscoring record was something like 1 in every 2.5 games, hence the fact I put 'when fit'.  There is no doubt he exagerated injuries, didn't want to play for us and was only interested in horses and England.  However, I'm trying to not let my hatred for the man get in the way, there has been far worse players for us IMO.

agreed - just a lazy git

Worst recent player over his tenure with us: Alan Smith.

Worst player in any one season: Nicky Butt during our relegation campaign.

Worst youngster to be fielded in the first team: Matty Pattison

Pound for pound worst signing: toss up between Michael Owen, Albert Luque, Xisco and Jean Alain Boumsong.

Never once said he was 'better' than Lescott, or 'significantly' better than Williamson. More outright lies. :thup:

Not sure how any of that is relevant to this anyway.

Sigh. YOU were the one that brought Saylor up, and it wasn't me who wrote the following...

Taylor's far better in the air {than Williamson}.

Lescott has ability but he's not an ideal partner for Coloccini. Rather have Saylor alongside Colo.

He {Williamson) can and will be dropped the second Saylor is fit. And rightly so.

Taylor is the more capable.

And...

He's {Saylor vs Williamson) got a lot more going for him.

Go get your coat.