Premier League oppose calls for return of terraces

Guest michaelfoster

The immediate problem I see with that model is that the seats are pointless. Unless you're in the front row, anybody who wants to sit won't be able to see a f***ing thing.

In that type of standing area, aren't the seats locked and only get unlocked for european matches where you aren't allowed standing areas?

I also thought (in seat locked/standing mode) each seat was for 2 people, that's why they have 2 steps in front of 1 seat. So they can double the capacity of that area in standing configuration, which also allows ticket prices for that area to be reduced whilst not making a loss.

Worry not, football fans. Colocho will be straight on the case, as soon as he finds out he won't be allowed to stand at the matches he doesn't go to.

But away matches are the only matches I do go to nowadays. Oh yeah, I forgot, you don't know me.

The immediate problem I see with that model is that the seats are pointless. Unless you're in the front row, anybody who wants to sit won't be able to see a f***ing thing.

In that type of standing area, aren't the seats locked and only get unlocked for european matches where you aren't allowed standing areas?

I also thought (in seat locked/standing mode) each seat was for 2 people, that's why they have 2 steps in front of 1 seat. So they can double the capacity of that area in standing configuration, which also allows ticket prices for that area to be reduced whilst not making a loss.

The point in the seats is for half time/if people need to sit down or whatever - everyone else will remain stood as it's obviously a standing section. The seat is there for comfort and like you said to make it easy to follow the rules for European competition.

Nobody in authority wants to be the person that signs this off and another disaster happens, I guess that's the problem. It's quite easy to stick to the status quo.

This is the problem no one wants to be the scapegoat if it goes tits up

exactly - and can you imagine the lawyers circling after a single death "well Mr Ashley, you KNEW that people have been killed on terraces before but you went ahead.........."

That Cardiff fan fell over the upper tier at millwall a few weeks ago, may well not have happened if those bars were there...The amount of people that fall over the seats in front (myself included) whilst celebrating is also dangerous.

• 7 months later...
Guest WashyGeordie

Dunno if this has been posted yet or not, it's just a snippet for Safe Standing:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Wembley-architect-Safe-standing-is-no-problem.php?id=ing

One of the world’s leading stadium architects has backed safe standing and stated it can be done “without any problems at all”. John Barrow is senior principal at renowned architects Populous and played a key role in designing Wembley Stadium. The firm also designed stadiums for Euro 2004 as well as Soccer City in Johannesburg which hosted the 2010 World Cup final.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WashyGeordie

Sunderland have already announced that we will be having a "singing end" next season. This stand will also be a standing end.

Until the council come and shut yer Ikea flat-pack (or 'stadium') down.

• 2 weeks later...

Were Take That performing at the CoMS? Everybody in the seated areas were standing, if thats the case how can they stop it at football matches but allow it at a concert? Doesn't make any sense

Were Take That performing at the CoMS? Everybody in the seated areas were standing, if thats the case how can they stop it at football matches but allow it at a concert? Doesn't make any sense

I saw that last night. The amount of people standing in that stadium was crazy.

http://www.heatworld.com/images/102609_615x10000_STD/2011/6/images/ttmain.jpg

Shame the bigot bros are the two most likely not to pull it off well in Britain with their fans getting fined by Uefa every month already.

It's always been allowed in other sports and events like Rugby.

Take That fans aren't hooligans. :thup:

True (Well, you never know like :p) but if 100 hooligans wanted to start shit in some ground it wouldn't make a bit of difference if they were old to sit down or not, I cant see how that would stop people. You could argue that if people were pissed and fell over it might snowball or something, but theres as much chance as that happening (if not more so) at a gig anyway

Have been standing on terraces at hurling matches (which very often exceed most Premier League attendances) from a very young age and I've never seen any trouble or felt in danger at any point. Its ridiculous that you can't stand at a football match in the UK.

Have been standing on terraces at hurling matches (which very often exceed most Premier League attendances) from a very young age and I've never seen any trouble or felt in danger at any point. Its ridiculous that you can't stand at a football match in the UK.

I've seen loads of trouble at football matches, I don't think people are the same these days though so I don't see a problem with standing, especially now when it's bastard freezing.