Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Ramos > Pique, absolutely every day.

Last season Real & Juve cm's over Barca.

Nah Busquets is miles better defensively than Modric or Kroos, Rakitic can run all day and I wouldn't take any midfielder in the World ahead of Iniesta in a big game. They work brilliantly together

Ramos and Pique are both liabilities. Wouldn't have either in a world XI at centre back although they're both great on the ball and starting play, Pique in particular. As for using what the other voters think as a basis for argument when the not so mighty Thiago Silva was named in the team is predictably laughable.

Messi though >>>

Ramos and Pique are both liabilities. Wouldn't have either in a world XI at centre back although they're both great on the ball and starting play, Pique in particular. As for using what the other voters think as a basis for argument when the not so mighty Thiago Silva was named in the team is predictably laughable.

Messi though >>>

You're not even Brazilian, how can you dislike Thiago this much? Clearly been the top 2 CB in the world once again this year.

Messi though >>>

You're not even Brazilian, how can you dislike Thiago this much? Clearly been the top 2 CB in the world once again this year.

Has he? Yes, he's talented but what has done this year? Won the league with PSG? They'd stand a chance of doing that with me in the team. Failed in the CL, hilariously failed again at international level.

I can think of at least 5 I'd have in front of him off the bat.

Messi though >>>

Has he? Yes, he's talented but what has done this year? Won the league with PSG? They'd stand a chance of doing that with me in the team. Failed in the CL, hilariously failed again at international level.

I can think of at least 5 I'd have in front of him off the bat.

Been considered the second best player in 2015 in French football (best ahead of Zlatan according to one newspaper, can't remember which). Failed in the CL? They lost to the best team in Europe while he was out injured. Also, he hasn't featured in the international level. He played in 2 competitive games, one where he scored and one where he conceded a penalty.

Name those other five defenders that have been better.

Busquets for me is by far the best midfielder in the world currently.

I agree.

Godin, Chielini, Pique, Ramos and Varane.

I'll third that Busquets thing too, albeit he obviously needs someone more offensive alongside to be as effective as he is.

Godin wasn't as spectacular as he was the season before, Otamendi was for me a better defender in La Liga than Godin last year. Pique was along with Otamendi the two best defenders in La Liga. I'd have Pique as the best in the world based on last season with Thiago second because of his performances not only in the domestic league but in the CL as well. Both players won a treble as well.

Varane is a pretty laughable inclusion for me, not even 5th best in the La Liga last season. Much better the season before.

As for Chiellini that's a good shout tbf. But didn't he play big parts as LB. I mean Pique - Chiellini wouldn't have too many complaints. But to say you can name 5 better than Thiago last season is a bit ridiculous.

Don't think anyone watched Pique last season ( or at least this thread reads like it :lol: ) , he barely put a foot wrong January onwards. Can't say the same about Ramos, Silva, Boateng etc etc.

He was shite every season since Puyol's drop off in between that mind.

Varane is one of the most overrated defenders in the world for my money, he has barely done anything to justify his hype. He's incredibly talented but hasn't done anything performance wise to justify his reputation and basically the Hazard of CBs.

Godin, Chielini, Pique, Ramos and Varane.

I'll third that Busquets thing too, albeit he obviously needs someone more offensive alongside to be as effective as he is.

Godin wasn't as spectacular as he was the season before, Otamendi was for me a better defender in La Liga than Godin last year. Pique was along with Otamendi the two best defenders in La Liga. I'd have Pique as the best in the world based on last season with Thiago second because of his performances not only in the domestic league but in the CL as well. Both players won a treble as well.

Varane is a pretty laughable inclusion for me, not even 5th best in the La Liga last season. Much better the season before.

As for Chiellini that's a good shout tbf. But didn't he play big parts as LB. I mean Pique - Chiellini wouldn't have too many complaints. But to say you can name 5 better than Thiago last season is a bit ridiculous.

He's better than Silva in almost every way imo

Then again, you have a weird obsession with some players ;)

Don't think anyone watched Pique last season ( or at least this thread reads like it :lol: ) , he barely put a foot wrong January onwards. Can't say the same about Ramos, Silva, Boateng etc etc.

He was s**** every season since Puyol's drop off in between that mind.

Varane is one of the most overrated defenders in the world for my money, he has barely done anything to justify his hype. He's incredibly talented but hasn't done anything performance wise to justify his reputation and basically the Hazard of CBs.

Agreed with all of this. Like I said, I think it's hard to argue against Pique being the best CB of 2015. I really don't get the Varane hype either, and am glad I'm not the only one.

I mean i get it because he's very talented footballer but as a defender he hasn't done anything to justify it yet. My lasting image of him really at this point is getting backed down by an old Drogba like he was Shaq. :lol:

Well that and getting bodied in the air by Hummels at the WC, i won't rule him out because he's very young and talented and can prove me wrong in the future. Also This will be unpopular because he's a massive c*** of the highest order but Madrid's best CB is Pepe IMO.

Absolutely no way Pique and Pepe better than Ramos. Wouldn't find anyone that regularly watches Madrid say Pepe is more important or better than Ramos. Not only is Ramos the better defender, he's also a leader of men.

Only voted in the team of the year X amount of times consecutively though.

Based on last season Pique was better for sure imo. Doesn't make him a better player, but based on last season he definitely was better.

Guest firetotheworks

A damn shame that Javier Mascherano isn't mentioned in this centerback discussion when he's outstanding in it and it's not even his natural position.

In a way I think that's probably why he's overlooked. That and his height.