Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

• 4 months later...
Guest firetotheworks

Best I've ever seen by an absolute country mile. No one is close to the level of consistent quality that I've seen. Original Ronaldo is the nearest.

Best I've ever seen by an absolute country mile. No one is close to the level of consistent quality that I've seen. Original Ronaldo is the nearest.

I think if that Ronaldo actually stayed fit I would have considered him to be better. He was without description before his injuries but alas not to be.

I think if that Ronaldo actually stayed fit I would have considered him to be better. He was without description before his injuries but alas not to be.

I make a rule to never compare players of different positions, there isn't much point. Ronaldo could have been the greatest striker to have ever lived. Messi is probably the best wide attacking midfielder of all time.

Like trying to say who was better for United, Schmeichael or Cantona.. they were both truly great in both their positions but incomparable.

Guest firetotheworks

I make a rule to never compare players of different positions, there isn't much point. Ronaldo could have been the greatest striker to have ever lived. Messi is probably the best wide attacking midfielder of all time.

Like trying to say who was better for United, Schmeichael or Cantona.. they were both truly great in both their positions but incomparable.

I genuinely believe that outfield players have to play in either midfield or up front to be considered the greatest. I think if you're good enough to be considered the best, then you don't play in defence.

Well done, Leo.  Completely deserved.  The greatest player to ever grace this earth.

To be all time CL scorer by the age of 27 aswell as having more WPOTY awards than anyone else is more than enough proof.

What happens when Cristiano breaks the record tomorrow again? And wins Balon d'Or next year again?

Well done, Leo.  Completely deserved.  The greatest player to ever grace this earth.

To be all time CL scorer by the age of 27 aswell as having more WPOTY awards than anyone else is more than enough proof.

What happens when Cristiano breaks the record tomorrow again? And wins Balon d'Or next year again?

He won't, Messi now on 73 just scored again.  :lol:

For some reason, it feels like the general public wants to hate on Messi. He's still better than Ronaldo and, probably, the greatest of all time (if we have to compare those in different positions from different eras). Legend.

I've said it already that he's the best I've seen  (post 90s) and anyone who says otherwise is crazy. But Ronaldo has had a far better last 12 months or so than Messi. Messi has been really disappointing for big parts of the last 12 months. If 4 WPOTY is enough to say he's the best ever than I do wonder whether Pissi will keep to that opinion if CRonaldo wins three straight now.

For some reason, it feels like the general public wants to hate on Messi. He's still better than Ronaldo and, probably, the greatest of all time (if we have to compare those in different positions from different eras). Legend.

I've said it already that he's the best I've seen  (post 90s) and anyone who says otherwise is crazy. But Ronaldo has had a far better last 12 months or so than Messi. Messi has been really disappointing for big parts of the last 12 months. If 4 WPOTY is enough to say he's the best ever than I do wonder whether Pissi will keep to that opinion if CRonaldo wins three straight now.

No, I agree Ronaldo has been better last 12 months but one season < a career.

Can conclude this argument if Ronaldo does what you say he does.

No, I agree Ronaldo has been better last 12 months but one season < a career.

Can conclude this argument if Ronaldo does what you say he does.

I'll still find Messi the better one, no matter how many Balon D'Ors Ronaldo win btw.

I think there's something to be said for the fact that every year, Ronaldo gets faster, stronger, more lethal in front of goal. For a player that came onto the scene as a skinny winger with step-overs is phenomenal, I don't know of any other player to improve so significantly year on year from where they started out.

If Messi is as good at 30 as Ronaldo is as good now, that'd be something.

FWIW IMO Messi>Ronaldo, but Ronaldo has to go down as one of the greatest players of all time also.

I think there's something to be said for the fact that every year, Ronaldo gets faster, stronger, more lethal in front of goal. For a player that came onto the scene as a skinny winger with step-overs is phenomenal, I don't know of any other player to improve so significantly year on year from where they started out.

If Messi is as good at 30 as Ronaldo is as good now, that'd be something.

FWIW IMO Messi>Ronaldo, but Ronaldo has to go down as one of the greatest players of all time also.

No doubt. But for me he'll probably end up in that bracket of Zidane, Ronaldo, Cruyff and all those guys. While Messi is in the bracket of Maradona. You can guess for yourself who's by himself at the top :p :lol: