Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Messi is the greatest of all time without a shadow of a doubt like. You can't quantify what watching him is like imo

This. It's that wow factor he has which is so spell bounding to watch. An absolute artist

Ronaldo's much more than a goalscorer man.

I'm sure his assists over that period would put him in the top 5 in Europe, easily. Ronaldo was the difference in the CL QF. Important contribution again yesterday. People always under-rate him. No, he doesn't have that #10 element to his game but he does have the ability to play like a devastating winger. Attacking defences, crosses & cut-backs.

Aye, Messi is probably slightly better. But Ronaldo is insane. Over the last 20 years, his consistency is only surpassed or matched by one person.

You've invented that argument in order to make that point, so I'm not sure what the point was. The exact point that was being made was that Ronaldo cannot do the things that Messi does, there's no 'but' beyond that because that was the entire basis of the point. 

Messi can't do some of the things Ronaldo does. That would be the case when discussing all-time greats.

Guest firetotheworks

Ronaldo's much more than a goalscorer man.

I'm sure his assists over that period would put him in the top 5 in Europe, easily. Ronaldo was the difference in the CL QF. Important contribution again yesterday. People always under-rate him. No, he doesn't have that #10 element to his game but he does have the ability to play like a devastating winger. Attacking defences, crosses & cut-backs.

Aye, Messi is probably slightly better. But Ronaldo is insane. Over the last 20 years, his consistency is only surpassed or matched by one person.

You've invented that argument in order to make that point, so I'm not sure what the point was. The exact point that was being made was that Ronaldo cannot do the things that Messi does, there's no 'but' beyond that because that was the entire basis of the point. 

Messi can't do some of the things Ronaldo does. That would be the case when discussing all-time greats.

That's where the dribbling past 4 or 5 players and scoring > dominating in the air debate comes into play. What Ronaldo can't do, that Messi can do is more impressive and harder imo. I think that's where the huge difference is.

My point isn't that he's better than Messi, although he's better than Messi at more things than just heading the ball.

My point is he's much more than a goalscoring machine. He's a far more complete player than some here are giving him credit for. I don't see how a neutral can watch a good amount of Real Madrid and try to just say the man is only a goalscoring machine.

Guest firetotheworks

Maybe because absolutely no one has said that. :lol:

I always make this point, but if you had to design the perfect footballer, you'd get something very close to resembling Ronaldo. Fast, powerful, skillful, strong, great passing ability, excellent positionally, brilliant finishing, great in the air, agile, great footballing brain, outstanding winning mentality and very few weaknesses...and yet still somehow Messi, just is better. He's a freak of nature, Ronaldo does things that are absolutely incredible, Messi does things that shouldn't really be possible.

He impacts the game in so many different ways, while Ronaldo if he's not scoring isn't really impacting the game at least nowadays anyway.

Not to take anything away from him though, as he's one of the most lethal goalscorers I have ever seen and he deserves all the respect in the world for becoming the player he has.

^^^^ reduced Ronaldo to being described as a lethal goalscorer.

Guest firetotheworks

Ah right, yesterday. Wey he's clearly wrong then and that is a ridiculous description of him :lol:

I dunno if Ronaldo can be put in the 'Greatest of all time' category though, not when people still um and arr about whether Messi is. Certainly the third best player I've seen in my lifetime and the second most consistently brilliant though.

Ah right, yesterday. Wey he's clearly wrong then and that is a ridiculous description of him :lol:

I dunno if Ronaldo can be put in the 'Greatest of all time' category though, not when people still um and arr about whether Messi is. Certainly the third best player I've seen in my lifetime and the second most consistently brilliant though.

I assume one of the other two is Messi; who's the third? Just curious, like.

Guest firetotheworks

At his best, still better than CRonaldo for me in terms of the level he was at, CRonaldo obviously has consistency over him though.

Thinking about it actually, 3 of my top 5 players that I've seen would be Barca players, the other 2 of the 5 being Xavi and Zidane.

But aye it's like.

Messi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ronaldo>>>>>>>>>>>>CRonaldo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xavi>>>Zidane

Real Ronaldo had already knee problems before joining Barca. Bar injuries he would've been there in the discussion with Messi. But he is nt and he was above CRonaldo in almost evert aspect of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

Still remember in 2006 when Ian Wright described watching it as like watching Muhammad Ali when he was older, Ronaldo was just sort of waltzing about, not that arsed, but it was bullshit because whenever he got the ball he looked mint. Still remember him lazily receiving the ball from outside the area, turning around and just lashing it in like it was nowt. :lol: Fucking loved Ronaldo.

Still remember in 2006 when Ian Wright described watching it as like watching Muhammad Ali when he was older, Ronaldo was just sort of waltzing about, not that arsed, but it was bullshit because whenever he got the ball he looked mint. Still remember him lazily receiving the ball from outside the area, turning around and just lashing it in like it was nowt. :lol: f***ing loved Ronaldo.

Was at the Ghana game when Brazil undeservedly beat them 3-0 in the World Cup. He scored a magnificient goal and all and was still class with the ball and all. But man was he fat and shouldn't have played :lol: At couple of times he was at the sideline talking to the manager and trying to catch his breath when Ghana had corners. So out of form :lol: Still remember him at something like 110kg in the Brazilian league having a faster acceleration than everyone. First 5 meters was where he killed everyone. So explosive.

For me, it's undeniable they both belong in that category. In my lifetime it's Ronaldo, Zidane, Messi & C. Ronaldo by a long margin. The latter two far more consistent. Former 2, had many brilliant clutch moments.

Then I guess it's Maradona, Cruyff & Pele from older generations.

I don't think we'll see this level of performance from 1 player - let alone 2 for a long-time.

302 in 293 games since moving to Madrid and over 100 assists. To say somebody is on a different planet to that is batshit crazy.

5 straight season of 50+ goals now. Has that ever been done in Europe before? Got 20 assists this season anarl.

All I know is that I'm going to be very disappointed 15-20 years from now for not watching more of Messi and C. Ronaldo. Just an insane privilege witnessing these men in their prime.

All I know is that I'm going to be very disappointed 15-20 years from now for not watching more of Messi and C. Ronaldo. Just an insane privilege witnessing these men in their prime.

Footage will be available.

I still regret not going to see Pep's Barcelona live... never got round to it.

Stats aren't the be all and end all of it though. Football's an art form and it's very subjective.

If you decided to buy a house or a car based on stats you'd end up living in Dumbarton and driving a fucking Dacia.