Player Sales/Summer Spending 2011

Colocho

Here you go, a direct quote:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Andy-Carroll-sale-Andy-Pardew-admits-players-disillusioned-disappointed-but-says-35m-fee-will-be-spent-on-new-faces-article687347.html

"The fee is enormous. I have had no chance to spend it. We have to make sure we spend it correctly in the summer. There will be £35m available and all of it will be spent, but it would be on fees AND wages."

Yeah thats the one i was thinking about, doesnt come close to suggesting that is over the length of a contract though as people keep saying. Just likely means we spend for example £25m on fees and £10m goes towards all wages/signing on fees etc.

Trouble is £25m won't even buy a replacement for AC, never mind anything else.

Peter Odemwingie 11 goals £1million

Clint Dempsey 10 goals £2.5million

Hugo Rodallega 10 goals (last season) £4.5million

Just from the last couple of season, but going back through the years there are plenty of examples of players who didn't cost a fortune but performed in the Premiership. Yes, there are players who didn't perform, but it's far more obvious when they've got a large transfer fee attached to their name (see: Torres, F)

And how much do they do for the rest of the team? He had six assists by December, that's without even considering the amount of play that went through him. Just signing a goalscorer isn't enough having lost a player like Carroll - that's why he's worth far more money than someone like Bent.

Do you think those three players are as good as Andy Carroll?

Funnily enough I still think Carroll was more suited for our team than Liverpool's as we play more long ball football, and there's a chance that Liverpool might end up messing their own game up by trying to do that with him. Agree though that while it's all well and good to talk about £35m being massive money, unless you can buy someone as good it means fuck all.

Colin Warris is claiming Routledge isn't coming back and we've secured his replacement on a Bosman.

Who is he? Must be Larsson ...

The deal with Larsson was done and dusted (until Birmingham did a 'Newcastle selling Milner to Aston Villa' style recall) so it's very likely he's the replacement. I'd be happy with that. Sell Routledge (who isn't a proven Premier League quality player) for a few million and replace him with Larsson (who is a proven Premier League quality player) for free.

Isn't Larsson too similar to Barton though? If I was buying someone who would play on the right quite a bit, I'd want someone I could bring on to offer something different, pace, directness etc.

Colin Warris is claiming Routledge isn't coming back and we've secured his replacement on a Bosman.

The deal with Larsson was done and dusted (until Birmingham did a 'Newcastle selling Milner to Aston Villa' style recall) so it's very likely he's the replacement. I'd be happy with that. Sell Routledge (who isn't a proven Premier League quality player) for a few million and replace him with Larsson (who is a proven Premier League quality player) for free.

Isn't Larsson too similar to Barton though? If I was buying someone who would play on the right quite a bit, I'd want someone I could bring on to offer something different, pace, directness etc.

Unless Pardew is thinking playing Barton in the middle.  That's why I don't understand why Routledge was loaned out.  He gave us something different with his pace.  I know he wasn't the most consistent, but it's something different than Barton and a better option than Guthrie.

Unless Barton is being sold ...

Unless Pardew is thinking playing Barton in the middle.  That's why I don't understand why Routledge was loaned out.  He gave us something different with his pace.  I know he wasn't the most consistent, but it's something different than Barton and a better option than Guthrie.

Pardew said in that Radio Newcastle interview the other week that Routledge was loaned out as he thought he'd got his replacement arranged (Larsson). Another lesson for NUFC in "don't sell or loan players out until you have actually replaced them".

Unless Pardew is thinking playing Barton in the middle.  That's why I don't understand why Routledge was loaned out.  He gave us something different with his pace.  I know he wasn't the most consistent, but it's something different than Barton and a better option than Guthrie.

Pardew said in that Radio Newcastle interview the other week that Routledge was loaned out as he thought he'd got his replacement arranged (Larsson). Another lesson for NUFC in "don't sell or loan players out until you have actually replaced them".

Routledge was loaned out to make him more marketable to a Championship/newly-promoted side (QPR) in the summer.

Routledge was loaned out to make him more marketable to a Championship/newly-promoted side (QPR) in the summer.

If you listen to Pardew's Radio Newcastle interview he says Routledge wanted games and Pardew allowed him to go because he wasn't in his plans and he had a replacement lined up.

Barton has 4 in the league and only 2 from open play. It's naive to suggest that we can afford to play a striker that won't get goals.

True, but Nolan has loads and HBA and Ireland could easily get another 10 between them, if not more.

I'm not suggesting we should be happy with playing a striker who won't score, that would be stupid however prolific the midfield is.

I wouldn't expect the same return from Nolan next year like.

an echo from this time last year ?

8 goals with Carroll in the side, 4 without. I reckon Carroll must have assisted him on at least 4 of those 8 goals as well.

If we are to play Ben Arfa behind a striker then we can also assume that Nolan will take a deeper role in midfield, and subsequently may score less goals.

• 2 weeks later...

it occurred to me yesterday why i still haven't got faith in ashley to put the amount of money needed into transfers this summer, the n'zogbia bids in january. getting that money for carroll hasnt changed their outlook one bit. it'll be the same half arsed window and last minute free signings again.

Was the bid ever confirmed from our side? I thought Pardew rubbished it recently?

oh did he? sorry wasnt aware of that.

He might not have, just thought I remembered him saying it recently.