Players calling for cards - acceptable or not?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Makes the players who do it look like complete pricks but if the refs are too weak to let it pass then why shouldn't they? Refs are human and if players can influence them, drip by drip, by asking for cards then I can understand why they do it.

Got far more of an issue with the refs who allow it rather than the players who do it tbh.

Just shows how far the modern day footballer has come.

I remember Shearer begging Graham Poll not to send off Ray Parlour in the 3-1 at Highbury in 2001.

At the same time you should never try to stop the referee sending off an opposing player. That's also retarded. Bless Shearer :lol:.

It's up there with Di Canio catching the ball I have to admit :lol: But still, it shows his professionalism.

Makes the players who do it look like complete pricks but if the refs are too weak to let it pass then why shouldn't they? Refs are human and if players can influence them, drip by drip, by asking for cards then I can understand why they do it.

Got far more of an issue with the refs who allow it rather than the players who do it tbh.

poh! all you've done is made a coherent statement out of my earlier rant.

For the people who are saying that it's ok to appeal for a foul, please explain the difference to me.

And is it alright to appeal verbally for a card?

IMO all of this is just shit on the same spectrum. Wherever you draw the line is arbitrary. My perspective is simply that you should honestly and genuinely appeal for what you think is right, whether that's a free kick, corner, penalty, yellow card or whatever. It's all the same. If you feel you deserve it then appeal for it because referees aren't good enough to spot everything that they should.

:lol: Who sided with Pissi?

That would be me. :blush:

When it's prima tossers like the Nani/Ronaldo sort, waving the invisible card is infuriating to see but I think it's circumstantial. When I play, and if I've been wiped out or seen a player on my team been wiped out and the ref doesn't do anything I'll sometimes without thinking say "surely that's a card", as it's frustration.

I guess when it boils down to it it's the ref's job to take the appropriate action, but I can sometimes understand it.

I've set myself up good and proper here haven't I....

poh! all you've done is made a coherent statement out of my earlier rant.

Didn't see it. Great minds though. ;)

For the people who are saying that it's ok to appeal for a foul, please explain the difference to me.

And is it alright to appeal verbally for a card?

IMO all of this is just s*** on the same spectrum. Wherever you draw the line is arbitrary. My perspective is simply that you should honestly and genuinely appeal for what you think is right, whether that's a free kick, corner, penalty, yellow card or whatever. It's all the same. If you feel you deserve it then appeal for it because referees aren't good enough to spot everything that they should.

Bollocks

Lenny :thup:

If a player deserves a card then why not appeal for it. If he gets sent off then you benefit and if it's deserved then you have rightly benefitted. There should be no issue with appealing for cards at all, if you feel the players are honest in doing so.

I suppose the problem is when players appeal for the sake of appealing or when they appeal for something that you know they know is not deserved.

Guest Heneage

I don't think it's nearly as new a phenomenon than is made out. I think players have been having words like it in the ref's ears for years but the inclusion of the card gesture more recently has made it a prominent issue.

It might be a cunt thing to do, but then it's not really in the spirit of the game to ask for your fellow professional to be sent off.

Is it in the spirit of the game to ask for a foul, then?

No one has given an adequate explanation of why the two should be treated differently.

I did. If you are fouled, it's your business. Bookings and sendings off are not.

how can we expect players not to react if they think a tackle was worthy of a yellow and the ref did nowt

obviously wind up merchants like nani take it way too far but by in large i don't have a major problem with it

If you are fouled harshly then I'm pretty sure it's your business for the player who fouled you to get a yellow card. It is simply what is right, what is just (if such a concept can ever exist in football). If someone kicks you then you should appeal for them to get a yellow because it is justice if they do.

It's your business if your team wins, no?

Should fans appeal for anything, then? It ain't their business when a player gets fouled.

The whole point of sport is proving yourself to be better than your opponent on a level playing field. If a sportsman has any ounce of integrity they'd want to prove themselves better without resorting to gainsmanship like that. Let the referee decide if a caution or sending off is necessary.

Fans have literally nothing to do with it. :lol: