SSN: Scott Parker gets Football Writers' Player of the Year

Interpolic

The way he's at times carried his side to almost certain relegation deserves an award.

People have said Charlie Adam should've been in with a shout: but isn't it exactly the same situation?

Adam deserves praise for some of his performances this year. He's certainly been a shining light but far from the best in the league.

Parker has obviously been given it because people are still shocked that poor teams can have the odd good player in them - as opposed to the player in question actually being of sufficient quality to earn the "best in the league" award.

sad state of affairs really. the automatic assumption is if you're any good you MUST play for one of the teams thats pushing for the champions league

Ironically, more deserving winners would include Nani, Nasri and Tevez...

The refusal of people on here to accept that Parker has been superb this season is beyond embarrassing.

It's not though. He's an above average player playing in an utterly dross side.

It's just typical of the attitude in this country to give the award to a player that works hard and is 'committed' instead of players who have actual quality and ability to play at the top level. He's not a bad player technically, he's quite good, but he's nowhere near the best player in the league and hasn't been this season.

Did you watch the two games inwhich we played West Ham? Both games he was anonymous and was outplayed and out-fought by our midfield. These games are not exceptions to the norm, this is his level for the majority of the season. He has a few moments of quality and is more committed than his teammates and this exaggerates his ability level. Couple this with a squeaky clean reputation, his nationality and the fact he plays for a Laandan club and bang - Player of the b****** Year.

So you're saying that Parker has been anonymous, out-played and out-fought for the majority of the season.

Wow.

strange they've picked up so little points realy, with Scotty Parker apparently bossing the midfield every game.

Yep, good logic that. Well done.

Is football still 11-a-side?

Yes, you need to watch his games closer.

So does Arsene Wenger, evidently. And almost every living West Ham fan.

Still, you know best.

Sigh.

He shows more virtues in terms of effort and commitment compared to his teammates and has the odd moment of genuine quality (you may have watched in awe at these occasions on MOTD). He does not however dominate the opposition or ever take games by the scruff of the neck like the media myth would have you believe.

Basically, do you remember when he played for Charlton? There was a similar aura around him at that time, although he was a slightly different kind of player back then. He went to Chelsea, people realised what he did at Charlton wasn't anywhere near good enough for a top club and he stepped back down to his natural level. Now he's back at another shitty London club where he again looks like the dogs bollocks by mere association to dross and he's being overrated to the hilt once more.

Infact West Ham probably isn't his natural level. I'm being harsh, because he'd comfortably slot in at a mid-table side, but that still doesn't change the fundamental point that I'm making. Being above average quality in a shit team does NOT make you the best player in the league. Jees.

Many games this season West Ham have been shit and he's been drowned out, i'm sorry but "he was the onky one in the Hammers side outting a shift in" just isn't enough to be classed as the best footballer in the country.

I'm not critisising his ability as a footballer, I rate him and I think he's deserving of some recognition, he could certainy do a job for a far better team than West Ham (hell you could put him ahead of Carrick for Man U, Barry for City etc). Basing purely by this season however, this award is laughable.

The refusal of people on here to accept that Parker has been superb this season is beyond embarrassing.

It's just typical of the attitude in this country to give the award to a player that works hard and is 'committed' instead of players who have actual quality and ability to play at the top level. He's not a bad player technically, he's quite good, but he's nowhere near the best player in the league and hasn't been this season.

Did you watch the two games inwhich we played West Ham? Both games he was anonymous and was outplayed and out-fought by our midfield. These games are not exceptions to the norm, this is his level for the majority of the season. He has a few moments of quality and is more committed than his teammates and this exaggerates his ability level. Couple this with a squeaky clean reputation, his nationality and the fact he plays for a Laandan club and bang - Player of the b****** Year.

So you're saying that Parker has been anonymous, out-played and out-fought for the majority of the season.

Wow.

strange they've picked up so little points realy, with Scotty Parker apparently bossing the midfield every game.

But you claimed he hadn't been anonomous in many games this season, i'm just saying he has. Regardess of whether that is because he has poor performers around him is irrelevant.

Wow.

But you claimed he hadn't been anonomous in many games this season, i'm just saying he has. Regardess of whether that is because he has poor performers around him is irrelevant.

Er no, my problem was with the ludicrous argument that he has been anonymous, out-thought etc in MOST games this season.

Yes, you need to watch his games closer.

So does Arsene Wenger, evidently. And almost every living West Ham fan.

Still, you know best.

Sigh.

He shows more virtues in terms of effort and commitment compared to his teammates and has the odd moment of genuine quality (you may have watched in awe at these occasions on MOTD). He does not however dominate the opposition or ever take games by the scruff of the neck like the media myth would have you believe.

Basically, do you remember when he played for Charlton? There was a similar aura around him at that time, although he was a slightly different kind of player back then. He went to Chelsea, people realised what he did at Charlton wasn't anywhere near good enough for a top club and he stepped back down to his natural level. Now he's back at another shitty London club where he again looks like the dogs bollocks by mere association to dross and he's being overrated to the hilt once more.

Infact West Ham probably isn't his natural level. I'm being harsh, because he'd comfortably slot in at a mid-table side, but that still doesn't change the fundamental point that I'm making. Being above average quality in a s*** team does NOT make you the best player in the league. Jees.

Double sigh.

Why would Wenger adhere to "media myth" and call Parker's award "justifiable" and his season "outstanding"?

Oh, and unless you're getting DVDs sent from abroad or are watching all their games oniline, I've seen just as much of West Ham live as you have.

I do remember him at Charlton - a genuine box to box midfielder who suffered at Chelsea for being miscast (as Makelele's understudy) as a purely holding midfielder, and was similarly misused at Newcastle.

His chequered time up here may still be clouding your vision. Let it go.

There's a reason they're second bottom.

Maybe my statement was slightly hyperbolic, but that descrition certainly fits his performances vs NUFC this season.

Christ, so now he's to blame for them being second bottom.

Is Charlie Adam to blame for Blackpool being in the bottom three?

Wenger spouts a lot of shite these days. As much respect as I have for the man, he is not the footballing oracle. Neither, evidently, are you if you think Scott f'ing Parker has been the best player in the Premier League this season.

So which performances of note can you remember Scott Parker genuinly looking a level above everyone else on the field, so much so that he could be classed as "superb", "best footballer in the country" even.

No-one is claiming he isn't a good footballer, just that (like West ham) he has been 2nd bested many (most, whatever) times this season. I don't want to get into a debate of how many games this is like.

Who gives a s*** what Wenger thinks? Just because he thinks something, doesn't make it right man.

He rates Laurent Koscielny ffs.

Yep, he has trouble spotting a decent midfielder does Arsene...

Seriously, what has that got to do with anything? Does that mean you gage all your midfielder opinions based on what he says?

Who gives a s*** what Wenger thinks? Just because he thinks something, doesn't make it right man.

Aesene Wenger was hardly going to turn round and say, "ner I reckon he was shite, like" when quizzed on the matter, he'd have come out with the same generic praise if fucking James Perch had won the award.

Wenger spouts a lot of s**** these days. As much respect as I have for the man, he is not the footballing oracle. Neither, evidently, are you if you think Scott f'ing Parker has been the best player in the Premier League this season.

I actually merely said I thought he had been superb this season. But never mind.

Aesene Wenger was hardly going to turn round and say, "ner I reckon he was s****, like" when quizzed on the matter, he'd have come out with the same generic praise if f***ing James Perch had won the award.

Dear oh dear.

Wenger spouts a lot of s**** these days. As much respect as I have for the man, he is not the footballing oracle. Neither, evidently, are you if you think Scott f'ing Parker has been the best player in the Premier League this season.

I actually merely said I thought he had been superb this season. But never mind.

Relatively superb. Same goes for Charlie Adam.

Aesene Wenger was hardly going to turn round and say, "ner I reckon he was s****, like" when quizzed on the matter, he'd have come out with the same generic praise if f***ing James Perch had won the award.

Dear oh dear.

what an uteerly pointless post, still waiting on you to list all these dominant performances you've witnessed by Scotty Parker by the way...

do you think he'll try and sign him?

Seriously, what has that got to do with anything? Does that mean you gage all your midfielder opinions based on what he says?

No, I was merely making the point that a manager who some may regard as a decent authority on good midfield players has described Parker's season as "outstanding", while the people I was debating with on this board - one of whom claims to be a particular authority on West Ham - insist he has been outplayed in most games this season.

Dear oh dear.

what an uteerly pointless post, still waiting on you to list all these dominant performances you've witnessed by Scotty Parker by the way...

Pot. Kettle.

From recent memory, Parker was brilliant against Liverpool the other week, and against Stoke in the Cup.