Arsene Wenger

Parky

Guest neesy111

Wiltord was quality, his goals ratio is impressive for someone who played mainly as a winger.

This. Vastly underrated.  They won the title twice in the 4 seasons he was there.

Guest neesy111

Really? So why was he let go for free?

He was a frustrating player, not at the level of Arsenals best in his own era (Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira etc)

Same reason they let Gallas, Pires etc leave.  Wenger only offers 1 year contracts to those above a certain age.

He was a frustrating player, not at the level of Arsenals best in his own era (Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira etc)

Same reason they let Gallas, Pires etc leave.  Wenger only offers 1 year contracts to those above a certain age.

They joined Arsenal at about the same age Wiltord was when released and were let go at 33, Wiltord was still in his 20's.

If he was quality in his time there it doesn't make much sense to release him for nothing when he cost £13m a few years earlier.

Guest neesy111

They joined Arsenal at about the same age Wiltord was when released and were let go at 33, Wiltord was still in his 20's.

If he was quality in his time there it doesn't make much sense to release him for nothing when he cost £13m a few years earlier.

He wasn't released, he didn't sign a new contract. Anycase they were all offered new contracts but they just refused them (apart from Bergkamp).

Also Wiltord was 30 when he left.

Wenger seems to like to buy the rough diamond sort of player. Player who has the pace and skills but doesn't have the end product, be it the final ball, finish or tackle, then try and mould them into something special.

He rarely like's to buy the player who is already fully accomplished and only seems to sign these players when his back is against the wall.

It's been well documented that Wenger over the years has had money to spend so you have to ask why he hasn't brought genuine class into the club with some big money signings, especially after losing Fabregas and Nasri which had been inevitable for a long time.

they need to do some backroom work or change something in training. Way too many injuries.

Despite there lack of defensive cohesiveness. Get Sagna-Vermaelen-Koscielny playing together week-in week-out and that will improve ten fold.

Going forward, they probably need another striker but with RVP fit they should be fine.

Guest neesy111

I think people are underestimating how big a club Arsenal is.  If Wenger went 6 years without a trophy abroad he would had been sacked after 3-4 years.

How do people still keep ridiculing Arsenal's fans for being unhappy at the situation? Astounds me the amount of people who consider Arsenal fans to be spoilt brats because they've watched their side essentially fail for 6 years considering the level they're capable of. Just because they're still in a better position than the majority of clubs, it doesn't mean the fans should be content and grateful while their team moves backwards, does it?

I certainly don't think he should be sacked mid-season. He's earned the right to see this through. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to think this could be it. At the very least the board and Wenger need to have a serious discussion about where this club is going and what his plans are.

Where would they be without van Persie? And is he really going to want to stay if they aren't in the CL? Probably not unless he's promised that they will be making some major investments, which would be highly unlikely with Wenger and without CL money.

Interesting times for sure.

How do people still keep ridiculing Arsenal's fans for being unhappy at the situation? Astounds me the amount of people who consider Arsenal fans to be spoilt brats because they've watched their side essentially fail for 6 years considering the level they're capable of. Just because they're still in a better position than the majority of clubs, it doesn't mean the fans should be content and grateful while their team moves backwards, does it?

This... Its relative to your standard, not the league's.

Guest neesy111

I think people are underestimating how big a club Arsenal is.  If Wenger went 6 years without a trophy abroad he would had been sacked after 3-4 years.

So are you in with cretin gang that think he deserve's to be sacked?

I've been saying for over a year now that Arsenal need to move him on and start a new era at the club.  The Arsenal fans were told that moving to the Emirates would allow the club to spend big and compete with Man Utd etc in the transfer market.  They've actually spent less since they moved stadiums.

I could see RvP going if they dont get champions league football.  He's 28 now and might fancy one big move before the end of his career.

He probably should go now, before Arsenal decline further.

On the subject of Wenger, I think the guy's a legend and don't like the treatment he's been getting from pundits and media. But he has made some dodgy signings (and non-signings) in recent seasons that have contributed to his current predicament. 

I could see RvP going if they dont get champions league football.  He's 28 now and might fancy one big move before the end of his career.

:thup: You couldn't blame him. But also wouldn't be surprised to see him stick it out, at least until Wenger does go, whenever that may be.

I think it's unfair on Wenger, it's not his fault his back 4 have got crocked then even the back up full backs have got crocked along with the first choice reducing him to 4th choice CB's and young kids. I'm sure Wilshere was a big part of his plans this year and his injury hasn't helped, not many teams could cope with that sort of injury list and still be in at least contention for champions league spot.

I feel his signing's down the years have to be questioned but i would never question his philosphy of football. He is for me still the right man to get Arsenal back on track and i don't think they are a million miles away that people seem to think.

Guest neesy111

I think it's unfair on Wenger, it's not his fault his back 4 have got crocked then even the back up full backs have got crocked along with the first choice reducing him to 4th choice CB's and young kids. I'm sure Wilshere was a big part of his plans this year and his injury hasn't helped, not many teams could cope with that sort of injury list and still be in at least contention for champions league spot.

I feel his signing's down the years have to be questioned but i would never question his philosphy of football. He is for me still the right man to get Arsenal back on track and i don't think they are a million miles away that people seem to think.

People have been saying that their defence is a joke for 5 years now and he's done very little to stop it.  Has himself only to blame when he has over 100m waiting to be spent in the bank.