Arsene Wenger

Parky

• 8 months later...

Shouldn't Liverpool get some kind of punishment for not letting Suarez go to Arsenal when his release clause was met

Suárez would have to sue them for breach of contract I suppose. I don't think he's bothered right now.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Suárez or his agent would have pressed the clause if Suárez really wanted to go to Arsenal.

Wasn't there some ambiguity in the clause that Liverpool exploited? Something like it said that Liverpool had to allow Suarez to talk to any club that bid £40m, but it didn't spell out that they had to sell him.

that's what a release clause IS. You can't actually force a player to leave, he can just refuse to enter into contract negotiations. But if his release clause is met, then if he wants to go he can go for that price. Liverpool did tell arsenal to fuck off, which technically they weren't allowed to do, but Suarez will just say he told liverpool he wasn't interested if arsenal ever tried to do anything about it.

Interestingly enough, when Messi was 17 he had a release clause of 140+ mil, and it was met by AC milan but he decided against the move. Whoever that talent scout was, get him to the toon please.

Shouldn't Liverpool get some kind of punishment for not letting Suarez go to Arsenal when his release clause was met

Suárez would have to sue them for breach of contract I suppose. I don't think he's bothered right now.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Suárez or his agent would have pressed the clause if Suárez really wanted to go to Arsenal.

Wasn't there some ambiguity in the clause that Liverpool exploited? Something like it said that Liverpool had to allow Suarez to talk to any club that bid £40m, but it didn't spell out that they had to sell him.

that's what a release clause IS. You can't actually force a player to leave, he can just refuse to enter into contract negotiations. But if his release clause is met, then if he wants to go he can go for that price. Liverpool did tell arsenal to f*** off, which technically they weren't allowed to do, but Suarez will just say he told liverpool he wasn't interested if arsenal ever tried to do anything about it.

Interestingly enough, when Messi was 17 he had a release clause of 140+ mil, and it was met by AC milan but he decided against the move. Whoever that talent scout was, get him to the toon please.

Normally you'd be correct but the reply earlier was in fact correct. The £40m was allowed to talk only not the purchase price bizarrely. Basically Liverpool tricked Suarez and his agent which they only discovered later in the small print as such.

The media seemed to be closing in on him. Personally, I think he's still got it and Arsenal would be mad to get rid of him.

I always felt that the best way of boosting their title chances would have been for them to be knocked out of the Champions League early. It'll now surely happen, but a bit too late.

I just don't think they've got the quality in depth to chase both Premiership and Champions League. Not that it's a bad squad, but the CL is extremely demanding.

Season in season out he fails to address the key areas that actually won him the title years ago. A solid defence and bruising midfield that can mix it up as well as dazzle. Giroud isn't title winning material either but if their midfield and defence was tougher and they had more leaders it might not matter. Mertesacker in central defence ffs? Lol

Roy Keane said Arsenal players were more interested in "6 packs and selfies" than winning, ha. Maybe a bit harsh but I agree with him that there isn't enough character or substance there. Leciester winning the league (or Spurs) would be the ultimate insult this season.

Arsenal (and other fans) who believe they will do better without him are delusional. Hope he stays, but will enjoy watching them become Man Utd with less money after he leaves.

I agree with Cronky's assessment. With the injuries they seem to pick up (plus a lack of depth up front and at CB), two big competitions stretches then way too thin - exacerbated by generally being in the domestic cup competitions in the later stages.

It's nowhere even close to "sackable" but Wenger's judgment when it comes to Giroud has been poor. He did astutely try for Suarez though. Would have won by a absolute countrymile this season.

He has been there for 20 years now and I reckon this WILL be his last season. Arsenal are now going to want to be genuine PL challengers instead of also-rans and whilst he has been a great manager for them, they will now be thinking its time for a new broom.

I only hope it doesn't turn out to be Rafa....

that's what a release clause IS. You can't actually force a player to leave, he can just refuse to enter into contract negotiations. But if his release clause is met, then if he wants to go he can go for that price. Liverpool did tell arsenal to f*** off, which technically they weren't allowed to do, but Suarez will just say he told liverpool he wasn't interested if arsenal ever tried to do anything about it.

His name is Doc Brown.

If Arsenal force Wenger out I hope they drop like a stone. Consistent 3rd and 4th place finishes won't seem so bad when they are playing away to Alkmaar on a Thursday night.

Arsenal are NOT NUFC....the two clubs couldn't be run more differently. Whereas they are ambitious and professional in all they do(the fact that Wenger has lasted 20 years tells you that..), we pick the wrong directors, managers and players as often as changing underwear...if Rafa gets any hassle from above, he would go there like a shot, even if we stayed up.

Hard to imagine that we once beat them in Cup Finals.....