Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Mehdi Abeid may well be doing well in Greece but goal scoring in that league isn't a good barometer for how he'll do in the Premiership. Matt Derbyshire scored goals for fun in Greece. Darren Ambrose is also currently scoring frequently.

True, we should stick with the players we know are s*** instead of trying new ones who might be.

My point was scoring goals in that league is not proof of being a good player. Ignoring his goals, he may still be playing well. He could come back here and play well.

Ffs, he can't do any better! I f***ing hate that argument. What's the point in sending him then?

What is so hard to understand with what I have said? He was sent to Greece to play regular football. He wasn't sent to Greece to score goals to earn a place in the NUFC team on his return. He could score a shed load of goals in Greece. That does not mean he will be great in the Premiership. It also doesn't mean he definitely won't be great in the Premiership. He may be a very good midfielder. The point is a lot of very mediocre players score plenty of goals in Greece.

The point of loans (in theory, we suck at loans) is for the player to play at a level where they can succeed and better themselves, and then come back and either be loaned out to a higher level, play a part in the first team of their club or be seen as having made too little progress and be bumped off.

Abeid have done very well in Greece, which is a league of a similar quality to the Dutch league for instance. Many players make the step up from those leagues to the bigger ones, and many fail. Abeid is at the level where he needs to either play a part for our team or just be sold to another team. He needs to be tried at the top level, and another loan won't do that, he'll just stagnate. Either he'll make it, or he won't, which he won't since upon return he'll be Pardewed all over again.

Mehdi Abeid may well be doing well in Greece but goal scoring in that league isn't a good barometer for how he'll do in the Premiership. Matt Derbyshire scored goals for fun in Greece. Darren Ambrose is also currently scoring frequently.

True, we should stick with the players we know are s*** instead of trying new ones who might be.

My point was scoring goals in that league is not proof of being a good player. Ignoring his goals, he may still be playing well. He could come back here and play well.

Perfectly valid point but I'm willing to bet that if you sent our current central midfield pairing to Greece for a year, there's absolutely fuck all chance they'd manage 8 goals between them.

Think I've only seen Abeid play once, in the FA Cup against then-Premier League Blackburn, he was pretty impressive so obviously I'm delighted never to have seen him again since.

I only really saw him at Notts Forest in that cup tie, he basically strolled through the game but looked tidy enough.

I wonder if Carr will ever tell Ashley of his concern at our coaching, that he sees players going backwards rather than forwards.  Ashley probably blames Carr for wasting his money.

I only really saw him at Notts Forest in that cup tie, he basically strolled through the game but looked tidy enough.

I wonder if Carr will ever tell Ashley of his concern at our coaching, that he sees players going backwards rather than forwards.  Ashley probably blames Carr for wasting his money.

Not a chance.

I'd be interested to genuinely know what Carr thinks of what we do with his signings though. Is he happy to be held in such high regard (one of the most profile scouts going) or does he despair we don't make more of his signings. Either way I'd be amazed if he's not on a sales % bonus.

Aye probs.  I suppose he's used to just being a scout, his role's to identify prospects/targets.  You win some, you lose some but that's nowt to do with you, unless you get told you're doing a shite job and get fired.  You'd like to think he cares more than that, due to the long contract/role at the club/professional pride, but probs not.

Like you say, he's probably fully incentivised with monetary gain in mind, given that's what we're all about now.  Even then though, his signings are decreasing in value.

Ffs, he can't do any better! I f***ing hate that argument. What's the point in sending him then?

What is so hard to understand with what I have said? He was sent to Greece to play regular football. He wasn't sent to Greece to score goals to earn a place in the NUFC team on his return. He could score a shed load of goals in Greece. That does not mean he will be great in the Premiership. It also doesn't mean he definitely won't be great in the Premiership. He may be a very good midfielder. The point is a lot of very mediocre players score plenty of goals in Greece.

You're snatching negativity from the jaws of success. You are Pardew.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bimpy474

It's amazing how many players we send out on loan either win medals or play in finals. They must all be fucking sick coming back to this shit.

Baffles me how so many of our fans can't see the connection with being away from Pardew's coaching and the players impressing under someone else.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-set-take-fresh-7040570

Newcastle United are set to take a fresh look at Mehdi Abeid this summer

Apr 28, 2014 11:39

By Lee Ryder

Newcastle United will take a fresh look at midfielder Mehdi Abeid this summer before deciding on his future at St James’ Park.

The Chronicle understands that Abeid could be given the chance to show how far he has progressed in the last 12 months in pre-season after a successful loan stint with Panathinaikos.

United have been kept up to date with Abeid’s performances by former Toon defender Nikos Dabizas, who is currently director of football at the Greek giants.

The 21-year-old has made 31 appearances, scored seven goals and made six assists this term.

However, the fact that Abeid has emerged with positive progress from the physical side of first-team football week in, week out in the Greek League has pleased United the most.

Abeid picked up a Greek Cup winners medal at the weekend after a 4-1 win over PAOK to continue his great campaign.

He has two years left on his current contract and with United certain to have a host of senior players leaving this summer, Abeid could get his chance in the pre-season friendly fixtures to allow the Magpies to measure how far he has come in the last year.

Abeid was on his way out at Newcastle a year ago but the move to Panathinaikos has allowed both the player and the club to take stock.

Abeid said on Saturday night: “I have made progress as a player and as a man.

“It has been a fantastic season.”

Curtis Good has had 2 very good loans spells at Dundee Utd and Bradford City. Last year he played in a league cup final and this year Dundee are in the Scottish FA Cup Final, where hes certain to play if he can get over this thigh injury.

Curtis Good has had 2 very good loans spells at Dundee Utd and Bradford City. Last year he played in a league cup final and this year Dundee are in the Scottish FA Cup Final, where hes certain to play if he can get over this thigh injury.

Aye suppose we've had a couple of them along the way but none as such like Abeid where we are thinking when he comes back lets pop him in the first team and see how he does. This feels more like how a loan should work, get him out on loan, get the experience, bring him back to your club and play them :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Skillful, decent passer, eye for goal, good lad. Unfortunately he doesn't run around like a spacker on speed. Hence Pardew will just bin him, in fact the very reason he's on loan in the first place.

You would expect we would have been watching his progress throughout the season, whether that is by watching videos of matches or even sending one of the scouts/coaching staff over to check him out,  seems mental to now make a decision on player by monitoring him in pre-season games.

Guest bimpy474

You would expect we would have been watching his progress throughout the season, whether that is by watching videos of matches or even sending one of the scouts/coaching staff over to check him out,  seems mental to now make a decision on player by monitoring him in pre-season games.

That's why i think that's story is a piece of fed bollocks from Pardew and the club. Pardew has already made his mind up imo and doesn't fancy the lad as he has a bit of skill and flair about him.