Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Would be a good signing the braindead tunnel-vision goalscorer.

Agree. He is, erm, single-minded to put it mildly - one dimensional in his play, even - but it can be pretty effective.

Takes his wages off the books I suppose, and if he's not happy to be second fiddle then seeya. I don't think he'd fit with AVB's tactics, and this might be our last chance to get a good wodge for him.

I dunno. The best thing for me is that it suggests someone better coming in. Also means he won't be shagging his way round the staff (allegedly).

Thought he might go to Fulham myself, cracking little Team Reading are building.

Although they've also bought Nicky Shorey.

I well remember MON buying him for us. Spent £4m on him, saw him in training, decided he didn't like him, so pretended he didn't exist.

Thought he might go to Fulham myself, cracking little Team Reading are building.

Are they?

Guthrie, Defoe ( if he signs) and Pogrebnyak are quality signings for them IMO.

Alright, should be enough to keep them up. Nothing ground breaking though.

As a footballer I honestly think he's one of the worst in the league. He will always score goals though, fairly frequently too. Hard currency.

Agree with the notion he's a crap footballer, but he still looks lethal on his day.

Are they?

Pogrebnyak and Defoe are better than what half the league have. They're addressing their ability to score goals, the number one concern for promoted sides.

Are they?

:thup:

People always overrate when clubs go on spending sprees with lots of players they are aware of. Mackems last season for example, outside of this board many thought they were having a great window for some reason.

They are decent signings for Reading though.

Guthrie is also better than the majority CM's in the bottom half of the league. Also isn't Lucas more of an attacking midfielder than a winger?

Never said they were ground breaking btw, i said they are quality signings for them. Considering where Reading are as a club atm i consider them 3 signings to be quality.

It's all relative.

Are they?

Pogrebnyak and Defoe are better than what half the league have. They're addressing their ability to score goals, the number one concern for promoted sides.

As a QPR fan said on signing Zamora and Cisse: 'It's like pissing in your pants to keep warm.'

As I said, alright in the short term but hardly the foundations of a 'cracking little team'.

I know it isn't, but I'm impressed by how active they're being in getting some (at least perceived) quality in.

Next season, look at the league outside the top 9 from last season - I think Fulham finished 9th? There is going to be an awful lot of crap floating about. Reading currently are stacking up pretty well providing they continue to bolster.

I do agree people overrate people's transfers when they go on a spending spree.

That isn't the case here though i feel, Reading have made 3 genuine improvements to their team. Well above you would expect from a newly promoted side as i said it's all relative and considering Reading's position i believe they are quality signings for them.

For example, if we signed those players i'd think they are crap signings because we need more but for Reading it's quality.

On the other end of the spectrum, QPR have bought loads of players so far but they are all crap or past it and classic case of quantity over quality. But Reading have signed genuine quality when you consider the level their squad is at.

I'd be more concerned about surviving if I were Reading, rather than focussing on long-term progression.

Pog and Defoe are/would be good signings for them, for their aim of staying up. Obviously mixing in some younger players with that is preferred but if they survive in their first season it's job done. Then they can be more concerned about the long term.

Sticking with the QPR comparison, Reading are making very similar types of signings. Short-term fixes that'll keep them up with little long term progression.

McCleary and Guthrie are fairly long term tbf.

I can't see Guthrie progressing as a footballer regardless of what team he's in. Shows a lot of quality on the ball but his work rate and particualrly his fitness (or lack of) off the ball will always hold him and his side back, especially from a defensive point of view.

McCleary I know little about, so I'm not in a position to comment.