Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

The problem is as much as the revenue is generated by Barca Real, it is in their long term interest for it to be a competitive league. They don't want a team genuinely to challenge them for the title, but as the rest of the league becomes less and less relevant the international at lease audience will dry up for endless repeats of the classico and it'll be unsustainable. I don't think it can last with two clubs in it.

Don't us international fans just want to see the best players & goals which both Barca & Real supply. Are we really interested in 3 or more  teams battling it out for the title?

yes.

Let me put it this way. I just looked at yours and Valencia's 2011 accounts and taking out TV money you pull off about exactly the same revenue (€50m-€60m range). Valencia are Spain's third team, is trophywise more succesful than NUFC and has appeared regularly in the CL. Which team isn't pulling his weight here?

Sure, I'm in favor of a fairer balance in La Liga, but a lot of the teams that complain aren't just doing enough themselves, and point the blame at us as an easy way to avoid their own failures.

The way it is now the gap will just get bigger.

The league is the product. Real and Barca are ingredients.

Of course they are the most important part, but the television deal you have is just bad for your league imo.

Let me put it this way. I just looked at yours and Valencia's 2011 accounts and taking out TV money you pull off about exactly the same revenue (€50m-€60m range). Valencia are Spain's third team, is trophywise more succesful than NUFC and has appeared regularly in the CL. Which team isn't pulling his weight here?

Sure, I'm in favor of a fairer balance in La Liga, but a lot of the teams that complain aren't just doing enough themselves, and point the blame at us as an easy way to avoid their own failures.

how can they do that when as soon as they develop players they are bought by the big 2 ? it's like scotland till this season and has been happening in this country for a while. TV money is a huge incoming so a fairer distribution of the money could lead to a more even spread of players leading to a more competitive league leading to more fair exposure. i'd be quite happy in this country for more to be split equally between the clubs, less for game by game appearances on the tele and a higher amount of minimum times a club must be on within the current number of games and thats from a fan of a club usually treat well in the ammount of times we are on the box.

The problem is as much as the revenue is generated by Barca Real, it is in their long term interest for it to be a competitive league. They don't want a team genuinely to challenge them for the title, but as the rest of the league becomes less and less relevant the international at lease audience will dry up for endless repeats of the classico and it'll be unsustainable. I don't think it can last with two clubs in it.

Don't us international fans just want to see the best players & goals which both Barca & Real supply. Are we really interested in 3 or more  teams battling it out for the title?

yes.

Good for you Maddy. I like seeing Barca & Real Madrid steamroller loads of teams maybe the occasional shock result & then watch two tense EL Clásicos. On a sidenote I do enjoy A.Madrid having loads of potential on paper & failing on grass. My La Liga viewing for about the last 5 years.

yes.

Good for you Maddy. I like seeing Barca & Real Madrid steamroller loads of teams maybe the occasional shock result & then watch two tense EL Clásicos. On a sidenote I do enjoy A.Madrid having loads of potential on paper & failing on grass. My La Liga viewing for about the last 5 years.

unless NUFC are involved or I have money on it I want to see a match not just a big kid slapping a little kid around.

yes.

unless NUFC are involved or I have money on it I want to see a match not just a big kid slapping a little kid around.

You must be sick to the back teeth of watching Barca & Real Madrid then bud!

I loved when Valencia challenged for the tile in the early noughties and actually won La Liga twice. Shame these days are now almost certainly over, in the same way we will never be able to compete with the likes of Chelsea and City unless we get a sugar daddy owner. I fail to see why anybody would WANT this situation to arise. Much rather have a situation like in Germany, France and Holland where there are about 4 or 5 teams each season fighting it out for the title and where your dark horse (AZ Alkmaar, Twente, Lille, Montpellier) can actually win the damn thing once in a while.

yes.

You must be sick to the back teeth of watching Barca & Real Madrid then bud!

rarely do unless they are playing each other.

how can they do that when as soon as they develop players they are bought by the big 2 ? it's like scotland till this season and has been happening in this country for a while. TV money is a huge incoming so a fairer distribution of the money could lead to a more even spread of players leading to a more competitive league leading to more fair exposure. i'd be quite happy in this country for more to be split equally between the clubs, less for game by game appearances on the tele and a higher amount of minimum times a club must be on within the current number of games and thats from a fan of a club usually treat well in the ammount of times we are on the box.

I understand that but still, in 2010-2011 Valencia had people like Mata, Silva and Banega in their squad while you still had most of the squad that came back up from the Championship. Valencia had had lots of exposure in Europe while you had not. I understand that the PL is more popular abroad, but why Real Madrid and Barcelona pull in roughly the same non-TV revenue that Manchester United do, while our third team is on level with PL's midtable?

I understand that but still, in 2010-2011 Valencia had people like Mata, Silva and Banega in their squad while you still had most of the squad that came back up from the Championship. Valencia had had lots of exposure in Europe while you had not. I understand that the PL is more popular abroad, but why Real Madrid and Barcelona pull in roughly the same non-TV revenue that Manchester United do, while our third team is on level with PL's midtable?

as i said before exposure, for the same reason you find loads of plastic mancs and chelsea fans all of a sudden. it's not boltons or fulhams fault that johnny bloggs form 2 mile from their grounds supports man utd instead when thats all he gets when he opens his paper or turns on the tele.

I fail to see why anybody would WANT this situation to arise. Much rather have a situation like in Germany, France and Holland where there are about 4 or 5 teams each season fighting it out for the title and where your dark horse (AZ Alkmaar, Twente, Lille, Montpellier) can actually win the damn thing once in a while.

Most of the football global audience would disagree (imo) thats why they tune into the PL & La Liga rather than kick back on a Sunday morning watching Utrecht v Den Haag hoping to see the next Michael Mols. As the great Damon Killian said "This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with with competitive sport, it's to do with ratings!

Because no-one outside Spain apart from proper fans care about La Liga apart from Barça and Real because they've no previous exposure to them growing up like they have the PL or big Italian teams nor do the star names or the commerical ability currently to make inroads in to this already crowded marketplace.

If our TV deals were done in a similar manner we'd see Man United and Liverpool then Arsenal, Chelsea (and now City) miles ahead of the curve.

By the way, if we adopted the PL's distribution system, Valencia's (and the rest of our top 4-5) TV revenues would actually go *down*, not up.

Aye but yours and RM's would be 3x the size. Admittedly you'd still be way ahead due to matchday/commercial revenues.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1OEF7MY8KqY/UDHfXcx0EyI/AAAAAAAAGM8/pUx5xNQwY4U/s640/21+Atletico+TV.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gKaD5fnJHJo/UDHe4BSY7VI/AAAAAAAAGMc/Sl63LJMVaIE/s640/17+Atletico+Money+League+Spain.jpg

I fail to see why anybody would WANT this situation to arise. Much rather have a situation like in Germany, France and Holland where there are about 4 or 5 teams each season fighting it out for the title and where your dark horse (AZ Alkmaar, Twente, Lille, Montpellier) can actually win the damn thing once in a while.

Most of the football global audience would disagree (imo) thats why they tune into the PL & La Liga rather than kick back on a Sunday morning watching Utrecht v Den Haag hoping to see the next Michael Mols. As the great Damon Killian said "This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with with competitive sport, it's to do with ratings!

I understand it's (heading) that way. What I don't understand is why any football fan would WANT it to be that way. I enjoy my Classico's as much as the next guy, I really do, but as a viewing spectacle and a sporting event it flatters to deceive more often than not, which is basically the result of the massive media attention for this particular set of games. I think the fact is now a heavily scrutinised two horse race has made La Liga as a competition less interesting in recent years in my opinion. They might as well have their own competition and start a new "season" every week.

By the way, if we adopted the PL's distribution system, Valencia's (and the rest of our top 4-5) TV revenues would actually go *down*, not up.

why replace one crap system with another designed to protect the hegemony ?

Aye but yours and RM's would be 3x the size. Admittedly you'd still be way ahead due to matchday/commercial revenues.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1OEF7MY8KqY/UDHfXcx0EyI/AAAAAAAAGM8/pUx5xNQwY4U/s640/21+Atletico+TV.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gKaD5fnJHJo/UDHe4BSY7VI/AAAAAAAAGMc/Sl63LJMVaIE/s640/17+Atletico+Money+League+Spain.jpg

Great graph Disco :thup:

Look at the sheer amount of clubs whose TV revenues - despite them being so low because of our system - are already above 50% of what they earn. That's what I mean when I say that most La Liga clubs just aren't doing enough to develop their other sources of income, and their shitness can't be solely blamed on us.

What I don't understand is why any football fan would WANT it to be that way.

Because for me La Liga is a league I have zero emotional attachment to so on a Satuday or Sunday night I want to see the best players & zillions of goals. I am not fussed who gets relegated or stays up. Where as with the PL I want to see Kevin Davies, Bolton & Gartside get relegated, I don't mind Norwich staying up, I laugh when any of the big hitters get beat. Christ I may have cheeky tommy tank if certain players damage there cruciate ligaments in the PL. Thats because I have bought into the PL mind, body & soul.

Because for me La Liga is a league I have zero emotional attachment to so on a Satuday or Sunday night I want to see the best players & zillions of goals. I am not fussed who gets relegated or stays up. Where as with the PL I want to see Kevin Davies, Bolton & Gartside get relegated, I don't mind Norwich staying up, I laugh when any of the big hitters get beat. Christ I may have cheeky tommy tank if certain players damage there cruciate ligaments in the PL. Thats because I have bought into the PL mind, body & soul.

This ties in with what I'm trying to say really. You're not a fan of La Liga, just a couch potato spectator with little emotional attachment other than wanting to see some of the best players in the world score some amazing goals. If you were a proper fan of a Spanish club, even one of Real Madrid or Barcelona, in the same way like you are a fan of NUFC in the Premiership, would it not become tedious to see such complete and utter dominance by two teams over all the others?

This ties in with what I'm trying to say really. You're not a fan of La Liga, just a couch potato spectator with little emotional attachment other than wanting to see some of the best players in the world score some amazing goals. If you were a proper fan of a Spanish club, even one of Real Madrid or Barcelona, in the same way like you are a fan of NUFC in the Premiership, would it not become tedious to see such complete and utter dominance by two teams over all the others?

I have witnessed dominance by two clubs in the England: Liverpool & MUFC they have let occasional guests have goes but its been pretty much them picking up the league titles in my life time.

I have witnessed dominance by two clubs in the England: Liverpool & MUFC they have let occasional guests have goes but its been pretty much them picking up the league titles in my life time.

Just in the last decade I make it 4 different champions.

Probably worth a read for you VI. The mess that is Atletico's finances - http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/atletico-madrid-its-mad-world.html

Brilliant website in general, explains the finance side of things very well to the regular man.

Thanks for the tip, will go to my bookmarks :thup:

And yes, Atlético are fucked. Probably one of the worst-run clubs in the world. In a way it reminds me of you under Shepherd, but amped x1000. Perennial underachievement which is patched up with kneejerk spending season after season, until the whole thing will come crashing down.