Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I think he's good enough for a team with two effective runners alongside him so he can afford to be fairly static for the periods of the game in which we need to unlock defences. Maybe Sissoko will facilitate that.

Oh, and  :thup:.

Compared to Xavi a few weeks ago

Don't make me laugh

He is in no way a Xavi. He's not dynamic, quick footed and certainly dosnt have the passing range

He's less effective than Nolan used to be, at least he scored!

Before yesterday he'd notched in his 2 previous Premier league games, and even yesterday he had a good chance towards the end which went narrowly over. I'm in no way justifying his likeness to Xavi, that's quite ridiculous. Although, if i remember correctly, didn't this comparison come from his play for France?

It did he's Xavi like in the way he plays for France style wise..... for us he's obviously not used properly.

Also Cabaye flourishes nearly every time he plays in 4-3-3 he scored a fantastic goal last week and suddenly he's crap and we want Nolan back :facepalm:

Put Xavi in 4-4-2 and see how fantastic he looks, i can guarantee you this right now he wouldn't look the half the player he does but fortunatly for him he has managers that understand this and give him the platform to perform instead of kicking the ball over his head.

Cabaye is the last person people should lambasting..... do i need to remind everyone how awful we looked against Reading without him?

You can't expect players like Cisse, Ben Arfa and Cabaye to perform in a system like this it doesn't matter how good of players they are but if they are not given the platform to perform then they won't.

Cabaye is the last person people should lambasting..... do i need to remind everyone how awful we looked against Reading without him?

Don't agree with the first bit at all. When a player isn't pulling their weight consistently, they'll be criticised like everybody else. Cabaye (at home) has been largely anonymous all season. He stands next to his midfield partner almost all game and his corners are mostly awful.

Not that I disagree about the second bit, but we scored twice in the Reading game which is rare for us.

To compare Nolan to Cabaye is embarrassing.  We've had this debate before.  Nolan is an extremely limited player who will score 10 goals a season.  Other than that, he offers little.

He scored a winner yesterday and played Carroll through for a 1 on 1. No idea what Cabaye did.

Nolan's goals will keep West Ham up. Same as his goals helped them get promoted last year so he's far from "extremely limited". I shouldn't need to say what he did for us.

To compare Nolan to Cabaye is embarrassing.  We've had this debate before.  Nolan is an extremely limited player who will score 10 goals a season.  Other than that, he offers little.

He scored a winner yesterday and played Carroll through for a 1 on 1. No idea what Cabaye did.

Nolan's goals will keep West Ham up. Same as his goals helped them get promoted last year so he's far from "extremely limited". I shouldn't need to say what he did for us.

He has a role in lower to mid table team and is a good player at that level.  But I'm afraid he is a limited footballer.  He is slow, unfit and not that good technically.  What he has in his favour is that he is positionally good and is a good finisher.

But where do you play him?  He can't play in a midfield two.  You have to build a team around him and hope that his 10 goals is worth it.

Cabaye is better technically but i think Nolan has the advantage mentally. So frustrating when Cabaye gets all petulant; you know, once he's got like that, any decent contribution to the game he was going to have is gone.

Don't agree with the first bit at all. When a player isn't pulling their weight consistently, they'll be criticised like everybody else. Cabaye (at home) has been largely anonymous all season. He stands next to his midfield partner almost all game and his corners are mostly awful.

Not that I disagree about the second bit, but we scored twice in the Reading game which is rare for us.

I agree that he is crap in 4-4-2 but that's the entire point of the matter we shouldn't be deploying him there he's proven how fantastic he is playing in front of 2 holding players and behind the main striker.

He performs for us in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, he performed for Lille in those systems he performs for France in those systems it's quite obvious where he needs to be playing consistently.

Not picking the ball up from the bloody CB's and watching the ball fly over his head.

Cabaye is better technically but i think Nolan has the advantage mentally. So frustrating when Cabaye gets all petulant; you know, once he's got like that, any decent contribution to the game he was going to have is gone.

Nolan's just far more suited to that style of play. He's physically superior too.

Nolan's just far more suited to that style of play. He's physically superior too.

Well - he is stronger and he has a bigger arse.  Not sure if that makes him physically superior as I imagine that Cabaye is quicker and fitter.

He has a role in lower to mid table team and is a good player at that level.  But I'm afraid he is a limited footballer.  He is slow, unfit and not that good technically.  What he has in his favour is that he is positionally good and is a good finisher.

But where do you play him?  He can't play in a midfield two.  You have to build a team around him and hope that his 10 goals is worth it.

If we had a manager who could operate different formations/systems he'd be a very useful player. Most teams rotate their system and certain players for certain games but we either don't or can't. We're as predictable as any team in the league at the minute and our only plan B is bring on Shola. Having a different game plan as a plan B seems like a luxury when it's the norm at most clubs.

How many people, without irony or sarcasm, though Nolan would score yesterday? The pre-match thread is full of that and he's still written off despite doing what we all said he'd do.

If you want someone to fit this style of play we might as well buy Barton, Nolan, Carroll and Enrique back and sell Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse and Santon....

Yay for bottom half finishes.

West Ham are currently 6th. 4 points ahead of us. They've just beaten us. At home. Nolan scored the winner.

(plus their goal difference is +3 when ours is -3)

If we had a manager who could operate different formations/systems he'd be a very useful player. Most teams rotate their system and certain players for certain games but we either don't or can't. We're as predictable as any team in the league at the minute and our only plan B is bring on Shola. Having a different game plan as a plan B seems like a luxury when it's the norm at most clubs.

How many people, without irony or sarcasm, though Nolan would score yesterday? The pre-match thread is full of that and he's still written off despite doing what we all said he'd do.

Not sure any club would want to give their 29 year old Plan B a five year contract with wages of 50k a week.

If you want someone to fit this style of play we might as well buy Barton, Nolan, Carroll and Enrique back and sell Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse and Santon....

West Ham are currently 6th. 4 points ahead of us. They've just beaten us. At home. Nolan scored the winner.

Yep and West Ham are going to stay there all season :lol:

Not sure any club would want to give their 29 year old Plan B a five year contract with wages of 50k a week.

There wouldn't be a set plan A and a plan B if used correctly. Whatever system fits the next game would be plan A.

If we're talking paying loads for a plan B then i'll meet you in the Anita thread.

They're there now and that's all they can do. Avoiding relegation is their aim and they've probably already done that by November.

If we're talking paying loads for a plan B then i'll meet you in the Anita thread.

Anita's a plan B?

Tiote and Cabaye are the starters when available and that won't change. Anita is even sometimes behind Perch*. He was a strange signing and it's an even stranger one now we've seen how we're playing.

edit - *add Jonas and Bigi to that too.

They're there now and that's all they can do. Avoiding relegation is their aim and they've probably already done that by November.

10th, according to Vaz Te, but hey..

They are absolutely nothing special though. As seen against us too. We just somehow managed to be even worse.