Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

You'd expect a midfielder of his quality to score 10 goals + a season. He's had a decent start.

I wouldn't. He's not a 'goalscorer' if he's not taking penalties.

What? So a 'goalscorer' has to take the penaltys? If not he can't be a goalscorer?

Not sure if serious or if im reading it wrong cause of tiredness.

He's not there to score goals.  He's there to make things happen and pick a pass.

Zidane and Xavi have both only scored 10 league goals a season once in their careers.  Iniesta's best is 8, and they are the 3 best of our generation.

As long he performs consistently and dictates midfield I couldn't give a shit if he hardly ever scores.  We have players ahead of him capable of scoring for fun.

You'd expect a midfielder of his quality to score 10 goals + a season. He's had a decent start.

I wouldn't. He's not a 'goalscorer' if he's not taking penalties.

What? So a 'goalscorer' has to take the penaltys? If not he can't be a goalscorer?

Not sure if serious or if im reading it wrong cause of tiredness.

The latter, dude. He's doesn't have a proven track record of scoring goals from open play.

Aye, me too :) He scored 13 goals in what probably was his breakthrough season (quite many penaltys i admit) at Lille, before he got a more defensive/deeper position in CM to make space for Hazard or whoever it was.

Used correctly again i think he can build on from that season and hopefully score many more goals for us.

I'm convinced that if he played in that advanced role consistently he would score 10+ he has fantastic technique of either foot as well as great accuracy and power not to mention he's fantastic from direct free kicks.

He need's more help in midfield though...Jonas has been poor, Anita has been adapting and Tiote has been inconsistent at best.

Our so great midfield of last season maybe not as set as we think if this continues.

Anyway he's scored 2 in his last 3 so hopefully he keeps it up we need more people scoring goals than just Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Compared to Xavi a few weeks ago

Don't make me laugh

He is in no way a Xavi. He's not dynamic, quick footed and certainly dosnt have the passing range

He's less effective than Nolan used to be, at least he scored!

Guest neesy111

After Cisse the biggest disappointment this season for me, plays far too deep for my liking, does not impact games enough and his set pieces excluding his direct shots on goal are pretty woeful.

Compared to Xavi a few weeks ago

Don't make me laugh

He is in no way a Xavi. He's not dynamic, quick footed and certainly dosnt have the passing range

He's less effective than Nolan used to be, at least he scored!

Before yesterday he'd notched in his 2 previous Premier league games, and even yesterday he had a good chance towards the end which went narrowly over. I'm in no way justifying his likeness to Xavi, that's quite ridiculous. Although, if i remember correctly, didn't this comparison come from his play for France?

I find myself agreeing with you a lot, but when it comes to Cabaye not being good enough - not so much. If we had a team that actually played some real attacking football, and he'd been given a fitting role in the team, I think he'd flourish.