Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

There was a piece in World Soccer a good few months ago about corners and the relatively few goals that result from them.

Yet still, fans get really excited when their team wins one.

When was the last time we scored from a corner?

Wolves away at the start of last season. About 14 months ago. :lol:

Won a pen from one Spurs at home this year. The approach taken to that one shows the way forward....

When was the last time we scored from a corner?

Wolves away at the start of last season. About 14 months ago. :lol:

Won a pen from one Spurs at home this year. The approach taken to that one shows the way forward....

Since that Wolves goal, Ba hitting the bar in last season's derby, striking the bar against Chelsea and Colo's effort this Sunday are the only corners remotely close to result in anything.

There was a piece in World Soccer a good few months ago about corners and the relatively few goals that result from them.

UEFA did their Technical Report recently and they said similar. I think they called corners obsolete, as only 27 of the 1,250 in last year's Champions League lead to a goal.

UEFA did their Technical Report recently and they said similar. I think they called corners obsolete, as only 27 of the 1,250 in last year's Champions League lead to a goal.

If FIFA/referees could get to grips with the all in wrestling match that corners and free kicks have now become there'd probably be a much higher ratio of success.

2% of corners lead to goals (apologies if my maths is shite), maybe we aren't THAT bad :lol:

25 of which were scored against Arsenal.

Honestly we should play it short and restart play every time, there's probably more chance of making chances that way.

Long boot back to Cabaye on the centre spot then a lovely little through ball to catch them out as they're pushing out.

Honestly we should play it short and restart play every time, there's probably more chance of making chances that way.

Long boot back to Cabaye on the centre spot then a lovely little through ball to catch them out as they're pushing out.

Did we ever find out what our "perfect corner" we had worked out over the summer was? People keep mentioning Hatem against Spurs but I was away for that and never seen it if someone wants to describe it.

Did we ever find out what our "perfect corner" we had worked out over the summer was? People keep mentioning Hatem against Spurs but I was away for that and never seen it if someone wants to describe it.

Corner was played short, catching Spurs off guard. HBA jinked his way past 2 spuds before being brought down by Lennon to win a penalty.

Somewhat ironic that since the "perfect corner" toss was mentioned, our corners have become beyond awful.

They've been awful since we got promoted tbf.

Plumbed new depths this year, at least 30% hit the first man.

Somewhat ironic that since the "perfect corner" toss was mentioned, our corners have become beyond awful.

I keep scoring from corners swept into the near post (Colo mainly) on FIFA, and I keep thinking why on earth can't we have a man on the near post for flick ons? IMO Williamson should be there for every corner. You watch our players during corners, and they're ALL faffing about dead center in the penalty area, with hardly any movement. Ridiculous.

I keep scoring from corners swept into the near post (Colo mainly) on FIFA, and I keep thinking why on earth can't we have a man on the near post for flick ons? IMO Williamson should be there for every corner. You watch our players during corners, and they're ALL faffing about dead center in the penalty area, with hardly any movement. Ridiculous.

Been saying the same thing, if we keep hitting first man then we surely should have someone playing near post to at least contend too!

I've posted this same thing too, think in willo thread

Surely it was meant to be that hugging thing that Ba, Cisse and Taylor tried against Spurs? Did it once. :lol:

Can't remember who exactly, but one of them was in fucking acres of space for that, just Cabaye's cross was fucking shite.

Guest firetotheworks

Hmm Barton and Guthrie's were often decent. We scored from a fair few corners/set pieces as well.

Guest Stephen927

We just haven't got a good enough target to aim for anymore with Carroll gone and Nolan's presence on the goalkeeper gone.