Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

So it's 6m euros? That's £5.3m not £4.3m as first thought. Still a great deal nevertheless..

Depends on how he'll do.

What a fucking pointless post.

What's with the Ronaldo-esque attitude recently?

The thing is, ahead of last season, we had Smith. Every football player would have been an improvement on him - Tiote certainly was an excellent signing and improved our side.

The thing this season is, that we've already have a Premier League team and now, not the likes of Smith should be improved upon, but the likes of Barton and Nolan.

That people think that Cabaye and Gosling are better than those two is making me a bit angry. That's all.

The thing is, ahead of last season, we had Smith. Every football player would have been an improvement on him - Tiote certainly was an excellent signing and improved our side.

The thing this season is, that we've already have a Premier League team and now, not the likes of Smith should be improved upon, but the likes of Barton and Nolan.

That people think that Cabaye and Gosling are better than those two is making me a bit angry. That's all.

Personally mate, as a pure central midfielder I think it is very easy to improve on Nolan. Obviously in terms of his leadership and goal output it makes him useful, but really you could sign hundreds of midfielders with more guile, technique, athleticism etc.

Barton is slightly different because I do think he's a genuinely good footballer.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Personally mate, as a pure central midfielder I think it is very easy to improve on Nolan. Obviously in terms of his leadership and goal output it makes him useful, but really you could sign hundreds of midfielders with more guile, technique, athleticism etc.

Barton is slightly different because I do think he's a genuinely good footballer.

It's not really that easy though.

In a nut shell.

I would hope that Cabaye is an improvement on Nolan when it comes to general play, however I don't expect him to score the goals Nolan did. That's why I'm hoping for at the very fucking least for a striker that will massively improve on our forward options. With that, and extra possession, improved passing, technique etc that Cabaye is supposed to give us over Nolan, plus the return of Ben Arfa, that should mean Nolans goals won't be missed as much.

It's daft to say that Gosling will be an improvement on either though.

In a nut shell.

I would hope that Cabaye is an improvement on Nolan when it comes to general play, however I don't expect him to score the goals Nolan did. That's why I'm hoping for at the very fucking least for a striker that will massively improve on our forward options. With that, and extra possession, improved passing, technique etc that Cabaye is supposed to give us over Nolan, plus the return of Ben Arfa, that should mean Nolans goals won't be missed as much.

What are the chances of Nolan scoring as many next season though?

In his 3 previous Premiership seasons he's only scored 8 goals in total, has he suddenly become some sort of midfield goal threat that we can rely on for goals?

Roughly the same as Best keeping up a 1 in 2 ratio.

We need two goalscorers, and like it or not Nolan has a knack of getting into goalscoring positions and often finishing them so if he goes we need three. He and Carroll scored over 40% of our league goals this season.

We need two goalscorers, and like it or not Nolan has a knack of getting into goalscoring positions and often finishing them so if he goes we need three.

So you don't think it could be a one off season in front of goal for him then and we can expect a similar return next season?

who said that?

David28: "now, not the likes of Smith should be improved upon, but the likes of Barton and Nolan.

That people think that Cabaye and Gosling are better than those two is making me a bit angry. That's all."

I know he's not saying that, but he's the one who brought it up.

We need two goalscorers, and like it or not Nolan has a knack of getting into goalscoring positions and often finishing them so if he goes we need three.

So you don't think it could be a one off season in front of goal for him then and we can expect a similar return next season?

I don't think it's hugely unreasonable to expect he could score 8-10 goals next year if he plays and other areas of the team are upgraded. It's no real surprise his goals dried up with shite like Shola and Lovenkrands up front.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect he could score 8-10 goals next year if he plays and other areas of the team are upgraded. It's no real surprise his goals dried up with shite like Shola and Lovenkrands up front.

As I pointed out in my previous post in his 3 previous seasons in the Premiership he only managed 8 goals in total, I don't see him as someone who has suddenly become some deadly goal threat from midfield that we can rely on every season and more a player that had an excellent season in front of goal that he will struggle to reproduce, like DJ Campbell.

Then it comes down to how many goals will be acceptable for him to keep his place if he's a passenger the rest of the time, I'd expect about 10 and I don't see him getting that again.

In his previous three seasons he was wank, that's why he only cost us £4m in the first place. I never said he is a 'deadly goal threat' btw. If he was he'd have scored more than he did anyway.

In his previous three seasons he was wank, that's why he only cost us £4m in the first place. I never said he is a 'deadly goal threat' btw. If he was he'd have scored more than he did anyway.

He's still wank now tbf, he's just had a good run in front of goal this season.

I could be wrong but I just don't see him being able to keep this return up in this division, if I thought he could I'd say he was irreplaceable and I'd expect a few more managers with the same opinion trying to buy him too.

I remember at the start of the season saying something like Nolan could have a season like Don Hutchison did that season at Sunderland where he scored double-figures from a similar position, at a similar age, and didn't do anything else.

I hope he can follow it up again, but I think the main thing is his influence if we look at the targets we're going for.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

I would love to se caybae in a newcastle shirt. Newcastle must like football manager because a lot of our recent signings are star(or future stars) on the game lol. Abeid, ben arfa, vuckic(old signing and only decent in 09 but still) and now cabaye.

Guest magpie99

I don't think it's hugely unreasonable to expect he could score 8-10 goals next year if he plays and other areas of the team are upgraded. It's no real surprise his goals dried up with s**** like Shola and Lovenkrands up front.

Dave.........not being a defender of Shola but you might remember that he set Nolan up with several of his goals last season, particularly against Sunderland and Wolves