Yohan Cabaye

Jeez, this forum! The transfer window certainly made for some massive over-reactions. Now Cabs is turboshite?? What's gan on? Keep calm and carry on. FFS

Who said that?

Howay Dave, you read those nonsense posts as well.

Nobody has said he's shite. People have said he's off form (clearly he is) and and are asking if he's really as good as they thought. What the fuck's wrong with that?

Meh. There's no point debating anything with you for the most part, I can't be bothered with this argument as well.

He's neither a playmaker nor a box to box midfielder. He can play extremely good passes though, awesome free kicks and good crossing. Hea very gifted when given time but he almost never controls our passing. Just not his game. If the team plays well around him, he becomes an infinitely better player as he has more space and time to pick excelled passes. Sadly, we're playing poorly and he most definitely is too

I'm beginning to get a déjà vu of how I felt when we had Emre.

Ie the lad is clearly talented and capable of quality, but it just doesn't show itself as much as it really should.

Who said he was a deep lying play maker? that's utter BS i have always said he's a great box to box midfielder with fantastic technique.

He's never a deep plying play maker in a million years, is he capable of doing the job? sure but that isn't his best role.

He's basically how Scholes was when he was young ( not as good obviously) play him further forward with little to no defensively restrictions and he will shine.

Great player just being restricted by the system.

No chance he's that! He hasn't got the engine or athleticism for that role. Yaya Toure is the model of a box-to-box midfielder.

He's better playing further forward. End of.

Jeez, this forum! The transfer window certainly made for some massive over-reactions. Now Cabs is turboshite?? What's gan on? Keep calm and carry on. FFS

Who said that?

Nobody has said he's shite. People have said he's off form (clearly he is) and and are asking if he's really as good as they thought. What the fuck's wrong with that?

Meh. There's no point debating anything with you for the most part, I can't be bothered with this argument as well.

Nice one. :thup:

He was inconsistent last season as well. I put it down to him learning a new counties style but it's getting worse.

Still though, if that free kick had gone in...

That's the issue for me, he's not really improving. He's had three 9/10 games for me in our shirt- Villa a, Man Utd h and Stoke h. Too often he's a 5 or 6/10 player, failing to influence a game.

Think that's an injustice to his contribution last season. He was vital to that run we went on towards the end of the season from the WBA game onwards.

He's not going to influence games as part of a midfield 2 for us, it's not his game and we won't see the benefits until he's played where he's most effective.

Two of the games he's excelled for us- Man Utd h and away at Villa he was in a midfield two with Cheik.

I get that it's not a system he is used to or prefers but it's only an excuse that goes so far.

Guest neesy111

Why is he playing though when he looks 70% fit though, honestly I think he's been more of liability than an asset in our 1st 3 games.

Who said that?

TBH, I am with Ian on this one. The 'what the fuck's wrong with that' comment shows how even you is getting tetchy. Fucking transfer windows should be banned, for the sake of this forums sanity.

Guest neesy111

Who said that?

:no

TBH, I am with Ian on this one. The 'what the fuck's wrong with that' comment shows how even you is getting tetchy. Fucking transfer windows should be banned, for the sake of this forums sanity.

:no:

Why is he playing though when he looks 70% fit though, honestly I think he's been more of liability than an asset in our 1st 3 games.

It's a separate issue really but I'm not entirely sure why those involved in International summer tournaments are given so long off. He's on our pay roll, surely he and the others could have been back but just on a more relaxed training schedule. He was barely involved in pre season after playing four games at the start of June.

He's not going to influence games as part of a midfield 2 for us, it's not his game and we won't see the benefits until he's played where he's most effective.

Two of the games he's excelled for us- Man Utd h and away at Villa he was in a midfield two with Cheik.

I get that it's not a system he is used to or prefers but it's only an excuse that goes so far.

Both of those teams also had only 2 in the middle, right?

Really can't believe Cabaye's quality is being doubted.  We finished 5th last season and having one of best CM's in the league played a big part in that.

Need to be grateful we've got players like him.  In a few years we've went from having Smith and Butt in the middle and relegation to challenging for Champions League places.  Let's not get too big for our boots just because we ain't had the greatest 3 games.

Really can't believe Cabaye's quality is being doubted.  We finished 5th last season and having one of best CM's in the league played a big part in that.

Need to be grateful we've got players like him.  In a few years we've went from having Smith and Butt in the middle and relegation to challenging for Champions League places.  Let's not get too big for our boots just because we ain't had the greatest 3 games.

Agreed

He's literally had 2 good games there out of about 30, of course he'll put the odd good performance as he's a good footballer but he's overrun in a midfield 2 and consequently shrinks into the background more often than not.

Guest neesy111

It's a separate issue really but I'm not entirely sure why those involved in International summer tournaments are given so long off. He's on our pay roll, surely he and the others could have been back but just on a more relaxed training schedule. He was barely involved in pre season after playing four games at the start of June.

It's a hard one to call tbh, but he should be much more fit than what he is now, no doubt.

Ie the lad is clearly talented and capable of quality, but it just doesn't show itself as much as it really should.

I agree that Cabaye doesn't show the creative side of his game nearly as much as he should (and he does have one as the 4-3-3 showed), but he always puts a shift in. He covered more miles per game than any NUFC player last season and had one if not the highest number of successful tackles in the Premiership so it shows how much of a hard worker he is. He has a lot of energy and presence even on his creative off-days, so i think the Emre comparison is way off.

However even this aspect seems to be lacking this season. Whether it is tiredness or Pardew's whisperings of a poor attitude (or both) who knows, but he needs to improve.

Saying that i felt that 2nd half today and 2nd half vs Spurs we put some extra legs alongside him and he looked better for it. Even if you are one of those dead against moving from a 4-4-2 permanently, you have to see that Cabaye needs extra help in midfield at the moment.

Who said that?

If he's playing crap then people are well within their rights to say he's playing crap, and discuss what they think are the reasons for that. It doesn't mean those people are saying he's a bad player. Otter for one has been saying for long before these the start of this season that he's unconvinced he's quite as good as made out. What I get tetchy about is people piling into threads and inventing positions nobody has taken.

Bit hard considering how deep he's asked to play tbf. One of the main reasons most of us are so annoyed with 4-4-2.

Who said that?

If he's playing crap then people are well within their rights to say he's playing crap, and discuss what they think are the reasons for that. It doesn't mean those people are saying he's a bad player. Otter for one has been saying for long before these the start of this season that he's unconvinced he's quite as good as made out. What I get tetchy about is people piling into threads and invent positions nobody has taken.

TBH I just wish we could have a normal debate, and maybe even just support our team. It's too charged with annoyance and frustration at the moment - the average start to the season combined with the poor transfer window.

You just need to be careful that you don't end up with only one kind of cynical poster on the forum, that's all. Guess it will sort itself out when we win two or three in a row in a couple of weeks.

When he scored that goal for France in the Euros everyone was raving about him, including 99% of people on this forum. That was only a couple of weeks ago. He's only had a couple of average games since then.

We need to calm down on this mass u-turn on our team.

He looked like a fantastic player at that tournament. Don't know if it's formation or what but he's been awful this season and could have easily been dropped for parts of last season.

And for the record...

Cabaye might be over time once he fully finds his feet but was too hit and miss last season. Cisse looks to be the best one so far.

More hit than miss but his form dipped for a while. He seemed to get lost in midfield some games.

We all could do with a break tbh. I usually hate this international break so soon in the season but I think this year, it's a blessing. Time to regroup and focus, there seems to be a rather groggy hangover lingering over the club at the moment.

I agree with that, but like I said he's not immune to criticism. He's set his own high standards, at present he's miles off them. Same as Cisse, though Cisse has something of an excuse in that the service has been wank. We know what they're capable of and we're not seeing that. Is it fitness? Heads being turned? Just rusty and need more matches?

I'd have put Cabaye on for some of the EL match on Thursday personally. Get him a bit more fitness and confidence. We needed some composure in the middle of the park towards the end as well.