Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Mark Douglas must hate the Mirror. :lol:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Demba-Ba-I-laughed-at-Newcastle-quit-rumours-article862296.html

Demba Ba: I laughed at Toon quit rumours

Published 22:00 06/02/12 By Simon Bird

Demba Ba has insisted he is happy at Newcastle, and is not looking to cash in on his signing-of-the-season status with a big money move away.

The Senegal striker has notched 16 goals in his last 17 games for Newcastle and was the subject of a wave of speculation that rivals would snap him up last month.

Ba signed from West Ham in the summer on a free transfer, and a £7million buy out clause in his contract, which would also see him bank a massive sum, led to fears he might leave.

But Ba, like many senior United players, has been boosted by the arrival of new £9 million No 9 Papiss Demba Cisse in January, and by the club's surprise challenge for Europe which will help retain their best players.

Ba is also confident he will form a productive partnership with Cisse who he helped persuade join Newcastle.

He said: "I never talked to anyone to say I wanted to leave. I was just listening to people saying: 'He's going there, he's going there, he's going there' and I had a big smile on my face. It was funny to me.

"The most important thing is being happy with your football and I am happy here.

"I look at the table and think 'Fifth? Woah!" We just need to continue our road, continue doing what we're doing this season and see where we are in the end.

"We need to keep our focus but as long as we do that, we'll have some very good games. I don't want to talk about exactly where we'll finish because it depends on a lot of things but as long as we keep going we'll be a dangerous side."

Dangerous indeed if Cisse's debut against Aston Villa was any indication. He scored a cracking volley and had two other chances, despite only a couple of days training with his new team mates.

Ba has talked at length to Cisse about his new club and revealed his role in the deal when they were at the Africa Nation's Cup.

"It was a great signing. I was very happy when he signed. I wasn't too bothered who we signed as long as we got a new striker it would help us. But fortunately for me it was someone from my country who I know well and I know how good he is.

"He talked to me before he signed a little bit. I just said to him 'Go on - sign'. He asked everything about Newcastle - how were the supporters, the club. I've not told him everything because I want him to see for himself what it is like here.

"But he's going to see it now. He loved the reception he got."

Boss Alan Pardew says the No 9 shirt will feel lighter now Cisse is off the mark and Ba, who wears No 19 said: "The manager asked me if I didn't mind it going to him. I said just give it to him if it helps to sign him.

"I have told him everything about the number nine shirt but I have also said it is just a number.

"It doesn't matter if you score or you don't score, it's just a number. And as for the fee - he doesn't chose to pay it or demand that it is paid, it is the club that decides it so if something bad happens - which I hope it doesn't - it will not be down to him.

"He is a very quiet guy. All the fuss and hype will not affect him."

Ba, who says he "can't believe" how Senegal lost all three games at the ANC, is happy to be back on Tyneside.

"It was the perfect return to Newcastle for me - the goal, the victory. And not too much snow! So it was a good day.

"I am really happy for Papiss. I thought he tried really hard and he'd already had a couple of chances to score before he actually did it. It's really important to score for a new club early - when you come in and score right right away you feel much better. It helps a lot so I'm really, really happy for him.

It was a goal of real class. He's actually right-footed but he showed that it doesn't matter if the ball comes to him on his left or on his right, he's going to hit it.

"I think the Senegalese are even happier about it than us! I guess there are lots of Senegalese Newcastle fans now."

:)

"I look at the table and think 'Fifth? Woah!" We just need to continue our road, continue doing what we're doing this season and see where we are in the end.

:lol:

Great news though. 16 in 17 games man  :laugh:

Another little bit in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/06/demba-ba-newcastle-united-papiss-cisse

Ba, despite his prolific form in front of goal, never craved the No9 shirt. "I always said that I wanted to keep my number [19]," he said. "I always said that, if someone comes in and you want to give him No9, don't even ask me – just give it to him if he wants it. The manager asked me if I didn't mind it going to Papiss. I said just give it to him if it helps to sign him."

Ba's presence possibly clinched the deal. "We're from the same country, we live the same way as well," said Pardew's leading scorer. "Both of our parents are from Senegal and, even though I grew up in France, I always lived like I was in Senegal."

He seems amused at the idea of being one of two devout Muslims from West Africa who find themselves on Tyneside. "I think the Senegalese are happy about it," he said. "I guess there are a lot of Senegalese Newcastle fans now. But Papiss is a very quiet guy, all the fuss and hype will not affect him. I've told him everything about the No9 shirt here but I've always said it is just a number."

Guest Sophie S

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Demba-Ba-I-laughed-at-Newcastle-quit-rumours-article862296.html

And as for the fee - he doesn't chose to pay it or demand that it is paid, it is the club that decides it so if something bad happens - which I hope it doesn't - it will not be down to him.

What fee are they talking about? And what does he mean with "something bad"? Are these quotes from before the signing?

Ba seems always so relaxed. :)  Funny how he admits that he really wanted a new striker to sign. Must have been frustrating with Ameobi and Best.

Guest bimpy474

And as for the fee - he doesn't chose to pay it or demand that it is paid, it is the club that decides it so if something bad happens - which I hope it doesn't - it will not be down to him.

What fee are they talking about? And what does he mean with "something bad"? Are these quotes from before the signing?

Ba seems always so relaxed. :)  Funny how he admits that he really wanted a new striker to sign. Must have been frustrating with Ameobi and Best.

Apparently the clause in his contract means that a lot of the release fee (7m) goes to him and not the club, so i've read anyhoo.

The fee must be the transfer fee for Cissé. 'Something bad' will be referring to anything bad that happens with Papiss I would've thought (poor form, injury etc.)

The fee must be the transfer fee for Cissé. 'Something bad' will be referring to anything bad that happens with Papiss I would've thought (poor form, injury etc.)

:thup:

That's the way I read it.

Guest Sophie S

Apparently the clause in his contract means that a lot of the release fee (7m) goes to him and not the club, so i've read anyhoo.

??? I thought that was Ba talking about Cisse.

Edit: Too slow posting. Got it now.