Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

If that is true he can f*ck off.

That's an easy reaction, but considering we paid Alan Smith and Joey Barton circa £60k I can see why he would want more, and he deserves it. People feel Ba is the best striker since Alan Shearer was here, and even he was on £50k a week from 1996.

I'd prefer Ba kept his salary at £40k or a bit over but was offered a large bonus per goal. The more he scores the more he earns seems fair.

That´s in the past. We can´t get players salaries after how much Smith earned. There is a different time now where clubs is starting to stop giving stupid moneys to players.

In one way I can understand that Ba wants more. But you shouldn´t feed a ego big enough already with goal bonuses.

I'm just trying to find some rational middle ground. The impression I get from the story (which could be bollocks) is that an ultimatum is coming our way of "Pay me £80k a week or I'm off to a club that will pay it" then we either choose to give him more money or we sell him. I'm suggesting a middle ground of rewarding his key purpose in the team (to score goals) so that if he bangs them in more than we could hope for he would end up earning the money he wants, but if he failed to do so then he would earn what he gets right now regardless of performance.

It's a simple concept, I can see why a striker would say no to it because there are complications such as what if your injured etc. but it's far more fair circumstance to me as you could give him those wages and never see the return for giving him it.

I guessing from your post your happy to see Ba leave over give him the money he wants?

NUFC no longer put goal bonuses into contracts which is fair enough I think. Ba's job is to score goals. Why pay him extra for doing his job?

Think you've missed the point?

The debate is on the news that he is on £40k and he says he wants £80k. My point is if he wants more money, keep him on £40k and give him a decent sum of money per goal so if he churns in 30 in the league he would end up making the extra £2m a year from the goal bonus haul.

By giving him the extra £2m a year in his contract automatically he could have a shitter and score 0 goals and get paid the higher amount of contributing nothing.

I understand what you are saying but if NUFC put a goal bonus clause in Ba's contract the rest of the team would start wanting bonuses.

Tell him to do one.  He's been with us one season in which he scored 16 goals, 1 goal every 2.125 games.  Doubts over his fitness and entourage along with a seemingly arseholeish entourage.  £40k is more than enough for him, if he doesn't like it, get rid and get someone else.

NUFC no longer put goal bonuses into contracts which is fair enough I think. Ba's job is to score goals. Why pay him extra for doing his job?

The debate is on the news that he is on £40k and he says he wants £80k. My point is if he wants more money, keep him on £40k and give him a decent sum of money per goal so if he churns in 30 in the league he would end up making the extra £2m a year from the goal bonus haul.

By giving him the extra £2m a year in his contract automatically he could have a shitter and score 0 goals and get paid the higher amount of contributing nothing.

I understand what you are saying but if NUFC put a goal bonus clause in Ba's contract the rest of the team would start wanting bonuses.

Why would they? Just because it's in lieu of a double your money pay rise?

Wouldn't the team all ask for double your money pay rises if he got that?

I think not.

He's already reluctant to do a job for the team, putting him on a goal bonus will make that situation worse.

Why? will it make him ball greedy? attempt to shoot in all areas and situations to try and earn more cash?

Tell him to do one.  He's been with us one season in which he scored 16 goals, 1 goal every 2.125 games.  Doubts over his fitness and entourage along with a seemingly arseholeish entourage.  £40k is more than enough for him, if he doesn't like it, get rid and get someone else.

Interesting. I wonder what people think a striker is worth in wages to achieve certain amounts of league goals. We've paid far more in the past for worse players than Ba.

Bit harsh on the doubts over his fitness bit. We all know about his knee but he's pretty much been available for all his stint here.

He's already reluctant to do a job for the team, putting him on a goal bonus will make that situation worse.

Why? will it make him ball greedy? attempt to shoot in all areas and situations to try and earn more cash?

He already does that to be fair, it'll get worse, amongst other things.

I think not.

Of course they would. It's the thin end of the wedge. You can't give bonuses to one player but not others. If Cisse scores a goal he doesn't get a bonus but when Ba does Ba gets a bonus? It would lead to trouble in the squad. For example, Krul and the defence would all want a bonus for clean sheets. Better to give no player a bonus than to give one player a bonus.

If Ba wants to leave he will go. There seems to be a lot of stories about Ba moving clubs every time a transfer window approaches.

Likely to leave unfortunately, whatever the wages/rumours. Im concerned about our need for another attacker, cause if Ba leaves we need to sign 2 forwards and it aint gonna happen im afraid.

I don't mind a debate but I do get frustrated when some seem to turn on a player due to something written by someone they think is a twat.

As someone pointed out, in the very same article the 'author' contradicted himself so imo it's as worth debating as me claiming Tim Krul wants to leave because he has decided he wants the stadium to be called the Tim Krul Arena.

"If he wants that he can go fuck himself".

As it stands no one in this squad is worth 90k if its true then hes going to leave whether it's in the summer or Jan i can't see us entertaining the idea of paying him anywhere near 90k.

Not to mention with that clause hanging over our heads, he's a great finisher but i don't see a long term future for him if all this is true.

Especially with the way this board is, there's no way hes getting anywhere near that and honestly rightfully so.

Probably rubbish anyway but if it is true then i don't see him being at the club the start of next season.

I don't mind a debate but I do get frustrated when some seem to turn on a player due to something written by someone they think is a t***.

As someone pointed out, in the very same article the 'author' contradicted himself so imo it's as worth debating as me claiming Tim Krul wants to leave because he has decided he wants the stadium to be called the Tim Krul Arena.

"If he wants that he can go f*** himself".

Come on, man :lol:

I think not.

Of course they would. It's the thin end of the wedge. You can't give bonuses to one player but not others. If Cisse scores a goal he doesn't get a bonus but when Ba does Ba gets a bonus? It would lead to trouble in the squad. For example, Krul and the defence would all want a bonus for clean sheets. Better to give no player a bonus than to give one player a bonus.

If Ba wants to leave he will go. There seems to be a lot of stories about Ba moving clubs every time a transfer window approaches.

All players earn vastly different amounts of money at the club. I just don't get why automatically doubling Ba's wages is more favorable to the rest of the team than to say to Ba you can have that extra money but only through bonuses.

Surely giving someone double their money for nothing is worse for the rest of the players than to say you can have that money but only if you hit this target criteria?

As it stands no one in this squad is worth 90k if its true then hes going to leave whether it's in the summer or Jan i can't see us entertaining the idea of paying him anywhere near 90k.

Not to mention with that clause hanging over our heads, he's a great finisher but i don't see a long term future for him if all this is true.

Especially with the way this board is, there's no way hes getting anywhere near that and honestly rightfully so.

Probably rubbish anyway but if it is true then i don't see him being at the club the start of next season.

Is the clause active in January? or is it just the summer transfer window?

I don't mind a debate but I do get frustrated when some seem to turn on a player due to something written by someone they think is a t***.

"If he wants that he can go f*** himself".

Come on, man :lol:

Sorry I get a little carried away :lol:

I think not.

All players earn vastly different amounts of money at the club. I just don't get why automatically doubling Ba's wages is more favorable to the rest of the team than to say to Ba you can have that extra money but only through bonuses.

Surely giving someone double their money for nothing is worse for the rest of the players than to say you can have that money but only if you hit this target criteria?

I'm sure if Ba's wages were doubled a lot of players would be demanding pay rises too. One of the reasons for ending goal bonuses given by Lambias was he said Martins used to shoot from the half way line.

I think not.

I'm sure if Ba's wages were doubled a lot of players would be demanding pay rises too. One of the reasons for ending goal bonuses given by Lambias was he said Martins used to shoot from the half way line.

Aye but tbf you couldn't expect him to run all the way to goal at his age.

I think not.

For some reason I could see Martins shooting from the half line regardless of bonuses. :lol:

But fair enough I get your point, you don't value Ba at £90k a week regardless of methods of earning it. I don't want to see any player earn that amount, in fact I'd go as far to say that all footballers are grossly overpaid, but in relative terms I think Ba is worth more than £40k a week... probably fair if he was on £50k/£60k but I think £60k is decent cap to have for the top players at Newcastle, only reserved for couple of the best ones. But if we are all agreed that £90k a week is too much than I guess he will end up at another club and we have to hope that we can find a striker that will give us what we want.

Which other clubs would give him £90k a week?  The only one I can think of is Lolerpool.

I don't know why, but could see Chelsea maybe.

Agree Liverpool is most likely if it were to happen or any of this ending up being real. They need a striker and have previous on paying out that sort of wages for one.