Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Antec

No doubt it is Mevlut Erding we're chasing.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

@

@TomBarclay_NOTW They're going in with a low bid but will do I reckon. Developments at his club over wkend may have helped...

Again, why does he have to be so cryptic? :lol:

It's hardly going to scupper the deal if he says, "Newcastle have started with a low bid for Erdinc. PSG buying Gameiro might help the situation".

He won't say because it might hurt paper sales

He's clearly known this for longer than just today though? Sure he could have mentioned it in yesterday or today's paper.

They keep things back, they need to sell papers every day

This

Douglas has a job to sell newspapers, not to give away all the stories on Twitter. It's not in his or his employer's interests to blab, or even to tell the truth if he doesn't know the details. It'll always just be 'in tomorrow's paper'.

Fair enough but then he risks losing the "exclusive" like with Cabaye when that was broke from over in France a day before he could.

Douglas has a job to sell newspapers, not to give away all the stories on Twitter. It's not in his or his employer's interests to blab, or even to tell the truth if he doesn't know the details. It'll always just be 'in tomorrow's paper'.

Aye twitter is just use as an advert really, get interest in the papers articles for the next day.

Fair enough but then he risks losing the "exclusive" like with Cabaye when that was broke from over in France a day before he could.

Did it break in any media over here first though? I would imagine that the vast majority of people who buy the newspaper don't trawl internet forums or Google.fr.

I bet he's still kicking himself about that btw. :laugh:

Did it break in any media over here first though? I would imagine that the vast majority of people who buy the newspaper don't trawl internet forums or Google.fr.

I bet he's still kicking himself about that btw. :laugh:

:lol:

True although weren't a number of people replying to his Tweet saying it's Cabaye? So pretty much ruined it for him. :lol:

It seems like he's been on the clubs radar for a while and they don't seem to be put off by a poor season either, I've never seen him play so I can't comment on his ability but I'm prepared to give Carr (who I presume scouted him) the benefit of the doubt on this one.

It seems like he's been on the clubs radar for a while and they don't seem to be put off by a poor season either, I've never seen him play so I can't comment on his ability but I'm prepared to give Carr (who I presume scouted him) the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Sounds a lot like the Bellamy transfer that sentence. Let's hope this second choice striker works out that well too.

Just my two cents on Erding. He's a grafter, battles his arse off whenever I've seen him. He's quick, links up play well and isn't bad in the air either. Lost his confidence in front of goal big time second half of last season though.

Gala have been sniffing round him for a while too.

Spot on. The thought of him and Ba as our strikeforce is worrying (for us) though.

He's a canny player, not sure he'd be prolific though. Having said that, it's diffiuclt to say until you see how he fits into the system we'd play.

Just my two cents on Erding. He's a grafter, battles his arse off whenever I've seen him. He's quick, links up play well and isn't bad in the air either. Lost his confidence in front of goal big time second half of last season though.

Spot on. The thought of him and Ba as our strikeforce is worrying (for us) though.

He's a canny player, not sure he'd be prolific though. Having said that, it's diffiuclt to say until you see how he fits into the system we'd play.

But surely he'd play behind the striker? He's not an attacking midfielder, but I'm not convinced he is a striker either. He's a support striker and if he's supporting Ba ... I'm not sure that will work. If we had a quick, effective finisher to play in front of him, I would be less concerned.

He is a good player, but an average striker. Hopefully we'll be looking at someone like El-Arabi to complement his style of play.

Here's an article someone wrote about him towards the end of last season...

Mevlut Erding (Mevlüt Erdinç) has had a respectable first season in the French capital since his transfer from Sochaux last summer. Despite missing much of the beginning of the season through injury, the Turkish striker has still managed to turn heads with some eye catching performances.

He joined Paris Saint-Germain for a sizeable fee, commonly reported as being between 7 and 9 mil€ after making a name for himself in Montbéliard. Beforehand he had been scouted by numerous clubs including reigning French champions Bordeaux, as well as Bolton and Arsenal, and more recently Everton, Manchester City, Tottenham and Werder Bremen

On his arrival at the club it was hoped that he would strike up a productive attacking partnership with lanky forward Guillaume Hoarau, however injury to both players meant that at the halfway stage of the season, the pair had only played one game together. In this time PSG struggled to put together a run of form, and as a result of their erratic displays slipped all the way down to fifteenth in the table; not a very respectable position for a club that pride’s itself as being one of the big names in French football. Erding has consistantly impressed this season however, having scored thirteen league and three cup goals so far. His performances have helped take PSG to the semi-finals of the Coup de France which they are expected to win against the shock of the tournament, Quevilly – an amateur team, this week.

Erding is a very athletic player with a notable physical presence. He is fast, strong, energetic, and likes to get in behind defenders. He also has heading ability although it is not one of his greater strengths. He seems, having seen him in the flesh over ten times this season, like a good target man who likes to sit very centrally. He will dribble the ball outside, but it is in that situation he often falters, his ball control often letting him down and defenders are able to dispossess him.  He is of potent threat on the break, being a fast dribbler with a very strong shot.

He isn’t the tallest of players at 5″11, but similar to Didier Drogba, some defenders seem to just bounce off him, such is his physical strength. His scorcher of a goal on saturday night against Bordeaux (from which you can see the highlights in the Vodpod bar to the right of the page) will certainly have raised his profile as it has been reported that several scouts from the Premier League and elsewhere were present. He looks a hot prospect, and at 23 there should be a lot more to come.

Whether or not PSG would be willing to sell is unclear considering other transfer speculation surrounding the future of his strike partner, Guillaume Hoarau. Hoarau has been reportedly flat searching in Bordeaux, ahead of a suspected summer bid from the Girondins who are looking for a replacement for the soon-to-depart Marouane Chamakh. It is doubtful PSG would want to lose both their first choice strikers in one summer. This has already been played down by Hoarau who argues that he was simply visiting the city with his wife who is from the area, but the rumours persist.

Erding is French by birth, however represents Turkey internationally. He has ten caps and one goal to date, but this is the extent of his experience over and above French domestic competition, as neither Sochaux nor PSG have been involved in European competition during his time at the clubs. His performance against Bordeaux, Champions League quarter finalists, has drawn attention to him, despite being against ten men and a third choice keeper for almost an hour of the 90 minutes.

He is currently in a team which has had many problems throughout the year, and earlier in the season, manager Antoine Kombouaré accused his players of laziness and not pulling their weight. His performances alongside Hoarau and another promising player, attacking midfielder Stéphane Sessegnon, have added a degree of stability to PSG’s season in the last few months.

Despite failing in their goal of finishing in a European spot this season, many of PSG’s players have been pursued by scouts from the Premier League, and may look to move on in light of the ongoing political tension in the club’s upper echelons.

http://lefootballblog.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/one-to-watch-psg-striker-melvut-erding/

Guest Wally_McFool

If "our new striker" is anything to do with past speculation then step forward Mr Yannick Djalo.

But surely he'd play behind the striker? He's not an attacking midfielder, but I'm not convinced he is a striker either. He's a support striker and if he's supporting Ba ... I'm not sure that will work. If we had a quick, effective finisher to play in front of him, I would be less concerned.

He is a good player, but an average striker. Hopefully we'll be looking at someone like El-Arabi to complement his style of play.

He is definitely a striker.

But surely he'd play behind the striker? He's not an attacking midfielder, but I'm not convinced he is a striker either. He's a support striker and if he's supporting Ba ... I'm not convinced that will work. If we had a quick, effective finisher to play in front of him, I would be less concerned.

Although last season was very much a confidence thing, he's never been and out-and-out goal scorer. I still think the price we'd be paying is fair though, given his ability, work rate and the fact he'd be  a massive improvement on anyone currently at the club.

It seems like he places a shot well but has no real power, could find it quite tricky over here if he doesn't have any real power in a shot.

Because the goal keepers in the Premier League are so much better than in France?

Unless your Gomes or one of Arsenal's keepers then anything that doesn't have real power on them will most likely be saved. His placement will have to be spot on because I can't see him being able to put a ball back across the face of goal and into the far corner over here where as where he plays now he seems to be able to score from wider positions then just face on. I can't see many keepers here being beaten like that.