Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/1992-to-2011.html

minus

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html

If we think that between 1992-2006, we spent £260m and brought in £120m, and the wages and loss we were operating at around that time, you can see why lately the money's had to come back in.

What? How insanely irrelevant. What's what we were spending nearly 20 years ago got to do with now? We've had different three owners since then man.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/1992-to-2011.html

minus

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html

If we think that between 1992-2006, we spent £260m and brought in £120m, and the wages and loss we were operating at around that time, you can see why lately the money's had to come back in.

What? How insanely irrelevant. What's what we were spending nearly 20 years ago got to do with now? We've had different three owners since then man.

More recently though was the £50m year (Boumsong, Emre, Parker, Owen, Luque, etc) which misses that table by one year.

Actually scrub that last post, "Ashley sympathising" as usual...silly me.

well yes, actually. because up until Shepherd screwed things up in Robson's last year or Souness's first (depending on how you look at things) we were the 2nd best run club in the premiership in financial terms, with 2nd lowest wages to turnover ratio, regularly breaking even and often making good profits, regular european monies, a stable debt tied to season tickets, and a massively increased turnover and capacity for generating funds through tickets, corporate, merchandise, sponsorship etc compared with 92, all testament to the fantastic job SJH and Shepherd did.

using the total expenses of the 92 to 2006 era to justify Ashley's frugality is one of the more silly and crude attempts i've seen, though i suspect you did so knowing all that. If we're looking for excuses, stick to using the final couple of years where Shepherd lost the plot, or, even more relevant, Ashley's own ineptitude which has cost him far more.

Actually scrub that last post, "Ashley sympathising" as usual...silly me.

well yes, actually. because up until Shepherd screwed things up in Robson's last year or Souness's first (depending on how you look at things) we were the 2nd best run club in the premiership in financial terms, with 2nd lowest wages to turnover ratio, regularly breaking even and often making good profits, regular european monies, a stable debt tied to season tickets, and a massively increased turnover and capacity for generating funds through tickets, corporate, merchandise, sponsorship etc compared with 92, all testament to the fantastic job SJH and Shepherd did.

using the total expenses of the 92 to 2006 era to justify Ashley's frugality is one of the more silly and crude attempts i've seen, though i suspect you did so knowing all that. If we're looking for excuses, stick to using the final couple of years where Shepherd lost the plot, or, even more relevant, Ashley's own ineptitude which has cost him far more.

Going back that far back was stupid without a doubt, but go back 18 months and that table makes more sense.

Speaking as someone who knows very little about the ins and outs of the club's finances, presumably we're one of the most financially stable clubs in the Premier League? If not the most economically sound? I suppose... just to grasp at straws... if that is the case, a benefit from Ashley's frugality is that it makes the club/business/franchise more attractive to prospective buyers?

Whilst the current reluctance to spend/blinding lack of ambition is infuriating, especially in light of the Carroll windfall... i reckon i could stomach a preference towards freebies (and maybe even a couple high profile departures), if it provided a guarantee that the cunts would fuck off within a couple years.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll, sorry. We could have done the business we have this summer anyway and still have a cracking centre forward to score the goals.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll. Sorry.

Proof will be this season when we see what Carroll's done at Liverpool, and what Erding & Ba have done here.

We could have signed Ba anyway, and probably wouldn't even need Erding.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll. Sorry.

Proof will be this season when we see what Carroll's done at Liverpool, and what Erding & Ba have done here.

Sound like we've already signed Erding?

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll, sorry. We could have done the business we have this summer anyway and still have a cracking centre forward to score the goals.

Starting to lean that way myself now like.

Only reason I'd have let him go was to spend the money (preferably on Sturridge and Zoggy) and I know I said I'd give them until the end of the window, but I can't see anything spectacular happening in the next month.

[/massive u-turn]

The justification for the Carroll bid being 'too good to turn down' was that the money would be used to improve the first team and squad. I whinged all along about not selling him at any price and lots of people assured me that not only would we easily replace Carroll's goals with that money, we'd have loads left to significantly overhaul the squad and would do so.

I'd still rather have kept Carroll.

We could have signed Ba anyway, and probably wouldn't even need Erding.

But if Carroll doesn't live upto his price tag at Liverpool and Erding does a job here, that justifies it imo.