Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

I felt sorry for him last night.Since when has being a defensive midfielder,I dont think It helped that Perch was playing behind him either.Its unfair to say that Ba played alot better which was obviously true but Ba wasnt asked to mark the full back.I think It was more down to Pardew getting the tactics wrong in the first half

I agree. It was an odd decision to try a new line-up when we were away from home against a decent side. Maybe Pardew had got fed up with Ba's casual attitude and wanted to shake him up a bit.

Marveaux didn't stand much chance of making an impact because he was expected to defend a lot, which he's no good at, and he couldn't participate in the attack because we were hitting the ball long to a lone striker, with the inevitable result that we couldn't keep hold of it.

Marveaux has to be given a freer role, in which case I don't think we can play him and Ben Arfa together.

He was garbage last night, a complete passenger. It might pipe down the "drop Ba for him brigade for a bit though, which is always good news.

Lessons learned.

Not really, It was 45 minutes of football. I would still like to see us use 4-3-3 with him wide, meaning either Cisse or Ba being dropped.

He was garbage last night, a complete passenger. It might pipe down the "drop Ba for him brigade for a bit though, which is always good news.

Lessons learned.

Not really, It was 45 minutes of football. I would still like to see us use 4-3-3 with him wide, meaning either Cisse or Ba being dropped.

wtf? that was where he played last night.  Out wide, the only reason he was playing so deep was because our whole team got pushed back. 

if im not mistaken, when your team is under the gun, your widemen from the front three comes back into midfield to help out, which is exactly what marveaux attempted to do,  abysmally.  No legs, no aggression, just completely out of his depth. 

im not saying he's lazy, but closing down and applying pressure to win the ball back is something severely lacking in his repertoire.

perhaps its due to fitness, or he is just not capable doing such things when his team is under pressure.

Guest optimistic nit

Lessons learned.

after 1 game? not putting in an opinion either way, but to write him off after one game is ludicrous

Lessons learned.

wtf? that was where he played last night.  Out wide, the only reason he was playing so deep was because our whole team got pushed back. 

if im not mistaken, when your team is under the gun, your widemen from the front three comes back into midfield to help out, which is exactly what marveaux attempted to do,  abysmally.  No legs, no aggression, just completely out of his depth. 

im not saying he's lazy, but closing down and applying pressure to win the ball back is something severely lacking in his repertoire.

perhaps its due to fitness, or he is just not capable doing such things when his team is under pressure.

Like he said, it was 45minutes of football. Massive overreaction.

Massive overreaction tbh, what is a player like Marveaux suppose to do if we constantly hoof to Cisse and he's not holding the ball up there's not much a player like Marveaux can do.

Play the system we played last night in some games if Ba or Cisse cannot play and actually pass the bloody ball and i'm sure he would shine.

Same goes for the system in general there is no point playing a system like that with small technical players if we are not going to pass through teams it's just a waste of time.

Guest reefatoon

Lessons learned.

after 1 game? not putting in an opinion either way, but to write him off after one game is ludicrous

I am not writing him off at all, He could easily do a job out wide of a midfield 4, no problem with that at all.  What I was saying is, he had a crap 45 minutes, where he offered nothing.  It was more to do with so many people saying "play the 4-3-3 and drop Ba for him"  which I could never figure out as Ba is a massive part of our team (which he proved in the second half).

People got their wish, it never worked (actually, it was probably the worst 45 minutes of football under Pardew).  We should never go into a game with only 1 striker ever again.

That's what I meant by lesson's learned.

Guest reefatoon

Lessons learned.

I'm pretty sure some people on here just don't watch football. They simply cannot.

Did you think he had a good game like?  The whole team were crap, but Marveaux was completely anonymous, he had an abysmal half.

Maybe I should join you then eh, and start trying to pick FM fantasy lineups eh

It didn't work because we kept hoofing it to Cisse and he couldn't make the ball stick.... what the hell is a player like Marveaux suppose to do if he hasn't got the ball?

Everyone was shite in the first half not just Marveaux, ridiculous reaction tbh.

If the team actually gave a shit in the first half and tried to tackle and press the Everton players and pass the ball through midfield instead of completely bypassing it then he might have been effective.

Guest reefatoon

It didn't work because we kept hoofing it to Cisse and he couldn't make the ball stick.... what the hell is a player like Marveaux suppose to do if he hasn't got the ball?

Everyone was s**** in the first half not just Marveaux, ridiculous reaction tbh.

If the team actually gave a s*** in the first half and tried to tackle and press the Everton players and pass the ball through midfield instead of completely bypassing it then he might have been effective.

Christ, here we go, the well worn "hoofed" excuse!!

When A striker plays up on his own, he needs the midfield 5 to press and support! to blame Cisse for that is a joke to be honest.  Yes the ball was played long to him at times, but he never had anyone near him when it did.  Our midfield was w*** in the first half.  Cisse's fault?? fucking hell  :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Why are some players above criticism?  Lets just agree that he was fucking gash and move on.  Hopefully he can get a chance on the left of a midfield 4, and next time he can show us what he can do.

Everyone was shite in the first half not just Marveaux, ridiculous reaction tbh.

If the team actually gave a shit in the first half and tried to tackle and press the Everton players and pass the ball through midfield instead of completely bypassing it then he might have been effective.

This

No one is above criticism, he was rubbish everyone accepts that but so was every single player in the first half.

But the reaction is ridiculous, if he doesn't have the ball what is he suppose to do if the ball if constantly flying over his head.

Also the hoof thing isn't excuse its factual, Cisse didn't win the ball once, whether the support was good or not doesn't matter for shat when the CF your are hoofing too cannot hold the ball up.

Which is the entire point, if your going to play a midfield of Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Jonas and Anita what is the point in hoofing?

It is never going to work in a million years and hardly surprising a small and technically gifted player struggled when the ball was flying over his head and constantly being forced backwards by our inability to keep the ball.

As i said, ridiculous reaction.

Its generally not easy for a midfield to support a striker either when the majority of your side is camped near your area due to constant pressure & Williamson continually shits the bed and hoofs it long. The Perch/Anita change enabled us to break up their attacks better before it got to that point.

He's doing absolutely fine, the guy's hardly played any games for us and has spent a year out injured, people really need to cut him some slack.  He's very skilful, has decent pace and can pick out a great ball.  Quality player.

Agreed.