So what positions should we be looking at now?

James

Guest Mantis

I think its a bit premature to be saying we've signed a proven Prem striker. Remember Michael Ricketts? Anyway a CB, at least one striker and proper player instead of routledge. By Christmas a new manager.

As we currently stand I think we need:

1) Either a class striker (Erdinç-ish?), a class wide player (N'Zogbia-ish) or class central midfielder (Matuidi-ish) for 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 respectively. Not all three.

2) A better right-back than Simpson.

3) A better central defender than Taylor/Williamson.

4) Backup for Enrique.

Keep everyone else (aside from the chaff I've listed in another post somewhere: Harper, Perch, R. Taylor, Smith, LuaLua, Routledge, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Xisco - if we can shift them.)

If this happened the first XI would be Forster/Krul, *New RB*, *New CB*, Coloccini, Enrique, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Ba (plus the remaining new bloke).

The second XI would be Forster/Krul, Simpson, S. Taylor, Williamson, N. Taylor(?), Barton, Guthrie, Gosling, Jonas, Ameobi and Best.

At least six of those "second-choice" players were comfortably first-team regulars for us last season (as in automatic choices, and we looked pretty fucking good with a full team out usually - even after Carroll left). That to me equates to better squad depth.

Naturally if we were to lose Enrique or Barton, or anybody else listed in these two line-ups, they'd have to be replaced too, but I'd be happy enough with the above. Anything else would be a bonus.

Nothing's changed, we need a striker and a right winger. Possibly some more cover in the middle too.

Agree with this. I think we could do with a genuine right sided player though, which would rule out N'Zogbia. I wouldn't like the idea of only Simpson providing crosses from the right. But then crosses might not be as important in the new set up so it's hard to say.

There's no backup for him either though, really. Perch and Ryan Taylor aren't good enough.

I'm in hope more than expectation, but I do think there is a strong case for us to look to upgrade the RB spot if possible, but I appreciate if Enrique goes the club might not fancy switching both full-backs and hoping for the best.