London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

This isn't a knee jerk, i actually thought this when Chelsea signed him. But i think Oscar will prove to be a better signing for Chelsea than Hazard.

Knew he was going to be class the moment i saw him, there is some players you just know if he's going to be good or not immediately.

His football brain is immaculate.

Understand. This is pre-Tiote Oscar.

O0

South Korea might as well pull the goalie and put an attacker on. Just play hockey.

It's a fucking joke. He's terrible, but he's only here because our first choice keeper is allergic to penalty shootouts.

Would've never played a minute of regular time if our proper keeper hadn't gone off injured.

I've seen all their games and even though they will probably take gold, I'm not convinced by this Brazil team. They made hard work of beating Belarus as well as Honduras and despite a 3-0 win tonight they have to give the ref a huge thanks after Korea were denied two obvious penalties at key moments in the game.

I'm curious how many of these players will be representing Brazil at the World Cup.

Aye, we havent been very solid for many parts of some games but the biggest problems come from:

1. Juan in the defensive line meaning we seriously have to play with only one central defender. Juan isnt even good enough for League 1 football in England. Thats how bad he is.

2. We have central midfielder in Sandro and Romulo where none of them are excellent in starting attacks and can run with the ball. This is where Ramires fits in so well with this team and Chelsea.

3. Hulk has been terrible and Lucas has deserved his spot yet not gotten it.

4. Our team is one of the youngest in the Olympics and many of them are in the middle of club changes and rumours such as Thiago Silva, Oscar, Leandro, Lucas, Hulk.

And lastly, you are WRONG in saying we were made hard work to beat Belarus. In all our games except against South Korea first half, we have been in control of the games. The good thing with this team is when they get going, they GET GOING. We have scored 3 goals in every game without the offense clicking really. Last night was definitely our worst game thus far, because most players stood still and no one really shone, yet we scored three goals and went into the finals. These guys were feeling the pressure, semi-finals in the Olympics is kind of some ghost game for Brazil national mens football. In 96 we lost to Babas team after having been up 3-0. Against Argentina in 2008 we had to play with a man less after Messi and i think it was Riquelme who absolutely ran the show.

And I would also say that South Korea did deserve a clear penalty, dont know which the second one is, if you mean when Juan cleared the ball of the Mackems head then you are wrong. But the way the game was panning out it seemed like, and oldtype will probably agree, Brazil would score no matter what because their goalkeeper was shit and also because South Korea seemed to have run out of gas after 35mins.

Felipao - do you think a large problem is to do with the manager? As whenever I've watched Brazil in the last few years, he doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of the attacking talent that I have seen on show.

Felipao - do you think a large problem is to do with the manager? As whenever I've watched Brazil in the last few years, he doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of the attacking talent that I have seen on show.

Oh definitely. At times Ive been hoping we would go out in the group stages so he would lose his job. He has no idea what he does and he keeps on calling shit players that favours him and his agent who is the agent of couple of the players. I would love to see him win it and then lose his job.

We have Felipao Scolari and Muricy Ramalho who both would take this team to a World Record.

Aye, we havent been very solid for many parts of some games but the biggest problems come from:

1. Juan in the defensive line meaning we seriously have to play with only one central defender. Juan isnt even good enough for League 1 football in England. Thats how bad he is.

2. We have central midfielder in Sandro and Romulo where none of them are excellent in starting attacks and can run with the ball. This is where Ramires fits in so well with this team and Chelsea.

3. Hulk has been terrible and Lucas has deserved his spot yet not gotten it.

4. Our team is one of the youngest in the Olympics and many of them are in the middle of club changes and rumours such as Thiago Silva, Oscar, Leandro, Lucas, Hulk.

And lastly, you are WRONG in saying we were made hard work to beat Belarus. In all our games except against South Korea first half, we have been in control of the games. The good thing with this team is when they get going, they GET GOING. We have scored 3 goals in every game without the offense clicking really. Last night was definitely our worst game thus far, because most players stood still and no one really shone, yet we scored three goals and went into the finals. These guys were feeling the pressure, semi-finals in the Olympics is kind of some ghost game for Brazil national mens football. In 96 we lost to Babas team after having been up 3-0. Against Argentina in 2008 we had to play with a man less after Messi and i think it was Riquelme who absolutely ran the show.

And I would also say that South Korea did deserve a clear penalty, dont know which the second one is, if you mean when Juan cleared the ball of the Mackems head then you are wrong. But the way the game was panning out it seemed like, and oldtype will probably agree, Brazil would score no matter what because their goalkeeper was s*** and also because South Korea seemed to have run out of gas after 35mins.

Sorry but I don't really agree with some of your points there. I saw the Belarus game and Brazil didn't have it all their own way. I was quite surprised and think you haven't given Belarus any credit there. I always expected the result because hey, it's Brazil and Belarus, but it was nowhere near as one-sided as you're making out.

You have also glossed over the Honduras game, where 2 red cards and a penalty proved pretty decisive. I imagine quite a lot of people saw that game and would agree that they expected more from a young but very strong Brazil team. The first red and the pen were fair decisions, granted, but the fact is Brazil struggled even with an extra man to control the game. Honduras twice took the lead. Credit to Brazil for eventually getting the result but it was a nervous game.

And as for the Korea game, I don't care whether you get the ball with the man's head or not, you do a studs up kick at head height and kick someone in the head it's not only a foul but also dangerous play. I can't believe I'm defending a mackem but you'd have held your hands up for a free kick if that had been the centre circle, wouldn't you? Look how high his studs are.

To say Korea ran out of gas after 35 minutes is an exaggeration, but they did towards the end of the game, yes. The game was over when the second goal went in which was actually against the run of play because the Koreans were on top at that stage. In the first half Brazil improved as the half wore on but were still second best at half time and slightly fortunate to be ahead courtesy of a goalkeeping error. They certainly weren't controlling the game with only 40% possession or thereabouts and barely a chance to talk of. Korea started the second half better and were denied another obvious penalty but soon after conceded against the run of play to a good Brazil attack. That proved decisive and was game over. Korea lost their shape and confidence I thought and Brazil to their credit punished them with a third goal. The last 35 minutes were played out without much ambition from either side. It was a clinical performance but the scoreline was a bit flattering and the talking points of the game were the two penalty calls.

Brazil have scored an impressive 3 goals a game, but the stats don't tell the whole story. Brazil have definite weaknesses to work on. The world cup squad ought to be a lot stronger, the players will be two years older and there will be more senior players who we didn't see here. But Brazil seem to have named a strong squad here with a lack of competitive games running up to the World Cup and I expected more from them in terms of performance against what, really, are pretty poor teams.

I think you will beat Mexico who look an inconsistent side. There is just much more pedigree in the Brazil lineup but if I were you I'd be hoping for a more convincing team performance in the final.

Against Belarus, they scored early on, but we controlled the game. We had the ball and they didnt have more than possibly one chance to score for the remaining 80minutes or so. We were better throughout and this without playing any good football. (Im not suggesting we have played well, completely the opposite, we have been terrible in many ways) but we still have controlled weaker sides. Against Honduras we conceded twice yes, but did you see where the goals came from? I guess not. I mean there is no point in debating anything, everything in that game as far as the referee goes was fair.

I think the problem is that you misunderstood me in general:

We haven't played well, but we have STILL controlled games.

We have an extremely young squad who havent played professional football for more than 3-4 years.

We have a terrible coach.

We have won by scoring three and rarely looking like losing although we have at times looked like conceding.

We have played with a man less for a whole tournament with Juan in the lineup.

Our front four have, ESPECIALLY 30mins against Egypt and 30mins against Belarus absolutely run the show and scoring three minutes.

If anything we have proven that we can play poorly for 60mins a game and yet win comfortably. Obviously this wont work against stronger oppositions, but against stronger opposition I dont expect us to be so weak in the back and being able to weather a possible storm in a better way since we will have Dede (one of the most dominant center backs to play in Brazil in recent years, him along Thiago Silva is the perfect complement).

In all I dont think we are strong favorites to win the World Cup, but with it being played in Brazil I definitely see us along with Spain and Argentina as the favorites. Long way to go, long way to develop, but I do expect us to raise the level when it will be needed the most.

Hard to judge Brazil really, they haven't played anyone of note. They've won their games v relatively uninspiring opposition, they'll probably do the same in the final, job done I guess but you can't read too much into it either. The frailties and potential pre-tournament are still there and I doubt Mano Menezes will have learnt too much from this although it's more games under the belt which can never be a bad thing.

Honestly, he wont have learnt shit. A worse coach is hard to find. How can he not let Lucas start is beyond me. Also, Juan?

Would love if Brazil sacked his ass even after winning because we have played shit. Muricy and Felipao Scolari would make this team KO most teams in the world. Mano is a tactical manager, Brazil needs a motivator someone who can push this team to play its very best just like Felipao and Muricy. Two managers who are offensive and love to win. Mano loves to play safe....boring.

Honestly, he wont have learnt shit. A worse coach is hard to find. How can he not let Lucas start is beyond me. Also, Juan?

Would love if Brazil sacked his ass even after winning because we have played shit. Muricy and Felipao Scolari would make this team KO most teams in the world. Mano is a tactical manager, Brazil needs a motivator someone who can push this team to play its very best just like Felipao and Muricy. Two managers who are offensive and love to win. Mano loves to play safe....boring.

Didn't some fella turn it down pre-Menezes? Flu manager possibly?

Unfortunately it seems offensive managers are a thing of the past for the most part in international (and especially) tournament football.

No, he took the job but wasnt allowed to leave by Fluminenses board. Its Muricy, he has won everything with different teams. 3 Brasileiraos with Sao Paulo, one with Fluminense. 1 Libertadores with Santos. 6 State Championships in three different states.

And his team plays good football.

No, he took the job but wasnt allowed to leave by Fluminenses board. Its Muricy, he has won everything with different teams. 3 Brasileiraos with Sao Paulo, one with Fluminense. 1 Libertadores with Santos. 6 State Championships in three different states.

And his team plays good football.

:thup: that's the one.

Meh, we could've got the penalties and we probably still would have lost. Tactically we got everything right and Brazil got everything wrong but their attack is just so good they couldn't lose if they tried. Oscar is just flat-out ridiculous. Our dodgy keeper didn't help either.

We didn't necessarily "run out of steam" as much as we just gave up after the second goal. The manager recognized that we were looking at a bronze medal match against Japan in three days and decided to make that a priority over pushing the lads towards a more gallant defeat.

You guys played well, the Mackem played really well. But I quite feel sorry as I felt you were a bit hard done by the bad keeper. At the end I think we wouldve won anyways because we just had that extra bit of confidence, but in terms of football it was a very fair game until the 2nd goal like you said.